Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson copy

vacamartin

Am I reading the headstock logo correctly? Does it really say "The Martin". If so, that's pretty funny. I don't see this as a knock-off at all. It is a very respectful tribute to another great guitar company. Gibson should be proud!

Lars

Am I reading the headstock logo correctly? Does it really say "The Martin". If so, that's pretty funny. I don't see this as a knock-off at all. It is a very respectful tribute to another great guitar company. Gibson should be proud!

Lars

"The Martin"...............surprised me! I took a double look at that!

Martin did this with a prior slope shoulder CEO6 series as well. A good-natured ribbing...

True, but not as bold as this CEO-8. It's interesting that Martin would go that far. . CEO-4,.6 and 7 still had Martin features -

CEO-4 . (the original clown burst) -

big%20martin%20ceo4DSCN0199.jpg

CEO-6 .(with the Gibsonesque logo script) -

DV016_Jpg_Large_H71011.001_sunburst_R.jpg

CEO-7

MartinCEO7_1_of_7_1024x1024.jpg

Gee, could the Martin Ovation be far behind?

If they stick with copying Gibsons, I can't wait to see 'The Strumbird" model.

This is weird. Never thought one of the oldest and best guitar manufacturers would venture into what resemble "lawsuit" model guitars.

My first reaction is that there just has to be some acrimony there on the part of Martin, which is never a good thing. Secondly, if you are going to semi-knock something off, especially Martin, you'd think they could do a better job. Some of the Japanese lawsuit guitars weren't half bad looking all in all, but these The Martin things are just horrendous. The whole project strikes me as scraping the bottom of an ugly barrel and it demeans the excellent legacy of an old and respected American company.

The guitar that got all the fingerpickers excited is the announcement of an OM-28 Authentic:

http://www.martinguitar.com/new/item/3762-om-28-authentic-1931.html

(the mahogany b/s OM18 Authentic has sold like hotcakes and now they have a rosewood version coming.)

I have the Martin OM28 Marquis and that is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever played, and guess what, it's MINE! I don't know how much better the new OM28A can be, but I will be watching and listening with great interest!

BluesKing777.

Just what I wanted a Martin that looks like a Gibson and sounds like a Martin...if I'm spending that much on another Martin it would be for a custom D35 with a 1 3/4in nut and 2 7/32in string spacing . If I get a J200 it will be a Gibson J200.

Just what I wanted a Martin that looks like a Gibson and sounds like a Martin...if I'm spending that much on another Martin it would be for a custom D35 with a 1 3/4in nut and 2 7/32in string spacing . If I get a J200 it will be a Gibson J200.

When I had a J45 Custom Rosewood, I felt it was Gibson's stab at a HD28 so all is fair.

Surprised at all the vitriol here. Martin likes Gibson. We all win.

Personally, I was hoping they'd do a Hummingbird knock-off. Full circle since the original Hummingbird was Gibson playing with a Martinesque shape. However, there is no mistaking the very different tone of a Gibson vs. a Martin, whatever the package might look like. These CEO guitars have always been great, and yes, they are very Gibson-inspired, especially this one. I like it. I don't think Gibson minds, though I doubt they could ever officially comment.

Archived