Gibson Brands Forums

Real or Fake

Dave F

Compared to mine -

The flame is no where near where it needs to be.

Everything on the headstock is out of wack. Split diamond, script on truss rod, Gibson script suspect.

S/N format is wrong

Custom logo on back looks bad.

Fret inlaid on 1st is square, mine was rectangular.

I had COA & case.

Guest GarrettH

This is indeed a fake. A quick look shows that the seller is also selling two fake Slash LPs. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

As has been said; it's not even close if you know what to look for.

The problem is there are many people who DON'T know what to look for.

Item reported to ebay as has the dealer. Hopefully ebay will take some sort of action (but I won't be holding my breath...)

P.

This is all very interesting, the seller has a great rating on eBay. If he's selling this many fakes, wonder how that happened?

The sellers usually use a "Hijacked" account in these instances where the original owner has long stopped using it...

Unfortunately these users usually a simple password like "Password1" etc making them easy targets

This is all very interesting, the seller has a great rating on eBay. If he's selling this many fakes, wonder how that happened?

GMT is spot on this. I'm just glad this was a "I saw this . . .", instead of "I bought this . . .". You've been here a while now (and a good contributor, glad to have you here), you've probably seen a post from an unfortunate member asking about authenticity AFTER making a purchase. Fakes on fleaBay (and elsewhere) happen quite often, and it's not unusual to see fake/s from a seller with a good number of sales and a good rep. It's a bad enough problem that fleaBay ought to have someone employed that has enough knowledge to check complaints and take quicker action. As Pippy mentioned, sometimes their report processing leaves enough time for these scammers to complete a counterfeit sale. Then there's the scam of using pictures of an authentic instrument, but shipping a fake. I remember a while ago the members here uncovered 3 or 4 sales based on the same set of pictures. Unfortunately, anything goes.

so... this post...

Not that I'm trying to be a PITA, but I thought one of the agreements were that we wouldn't "define" the attributes that made fakes identifiable so as not to clue those in that would be keen on making "better" fakes...

least that's what I thought.

so... this post...

Not that I'm trying to be a PITA, but I thought one of the agreements were that we wouldn't "define" the attributes that made fakes identifiable so as not to clue those in that would be keen on making "better" fakes...

least that's what I thought.

Well, the makers can easily get a real Gibson and copy it. But then it will cut down on their profit margin; so they use short-cuts, cheaper timber, and Epi parts perhaps. After all, lots of products you and I use come from China; it's easy for a factory that already manufactures guitars (used for "private labeling") to make copies.

It boils down to consumers who want and buy "fake" products. Fakes will be made if you have buyers. Unfortunately,the burden on proving Copy Right infringement is with Gibson and that's big bucks. Obviously, the proliferation of copies get into this country rather easily through online purchase... maybe if you call it "replica" then it's OK to import? Dunno...cause I don't buy fake guitars!

Guest Farnsbarns

Gibson have more than one article circulating describing the clues to a fake in detail. I personally don't think it matters.

What do you think of this Les Paul Classic that say it's made in USA 2003 ?

Please watch the back of the neck ! It has no written made in usa or the serial number isn't stamped ???

http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/oglasi.php?action=photo&oglas_id=6042076&data[photo_num]=5

That is a real Classic, they don't have "Made in the USA" on the back of the headstock.

It looks real from the pictures. I notice the case had the leather tab saying "TKL" rather than private labeled "Gibson" .

I'm not sure if the ring screws should normally flatheads.

Maybe you can ask for the serial number and verify with Gibson for the description?

Archived