Gibson Brands Forums

Explain the unexplainable....

ParlourMan

So, a small question, GAS related of course... not even an acoustic so I'm singing to the wrong choir, but seeing as you lot are the ones I talk to, I might as well pitch it here... As a fully electric player for many years, owning more than 30 guitars down the years, I've had them all (relatively speaking) but I've never been a strat man, not even in the slightest, in fact for many years I would have argued I wouldn;t even take one for free. I like tele's but strats, eurghhh no ta.....

So, out of nowhere I now have major GAS for a 50's style strat, maple board, etc etc... cliche-ville you could well successfully argue, thought this was a weird passing notion, but so far, it's lingering, has been for 2-3 weeks. What's bizarre is I'm a Gretsch man really... so this is about as non-me as I've ever gassed for. What the be-jesus is happening to me.... Thus far I'm thinking it's a knock-on effect of my 40th birthday looming over me.. has to be right?

Chances are this could even be a present... so based on the 'emotional' value etc.. I'd rather not have something I'm ready to turn my back on as the whim peters out, but, there you go, gassing major for a strat, who would have thought it? and Yes I am thoroughly ashamed of myself for even allowing this to get as far as posting about it on the internet.

Like our Gibsons, there are strats and there are STRATS.... I think I have the 1983 strat type Strat......., but these days there are all kinds of re-issue goodies.

I have no idea where or why, but this little list from Sweetwater has a few classifications to help, but there are plenty of used models elsewhere too:

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/fender/stratocaster.php

BluesKing777.

My constant companion for decades was a 1957 Telecaster. Not the easiest electric to figure out - it was like you had to pull the music out of it. But once you got the hang of it you found it had everything you needed and nothing you didn't.

I have never been fully able to get the electrrics out of my system and still keep a 1950s Oahu Tonemaster lap guitar around. This thing can move from the sound of a fine violin to that of a new born baby wailing its lungs out because it was mad at the world for being born. When you feel that need an acoustic just ain't gonna cut the mustard.

So you've steadfastly shunned Strats for many years. People know this and now your 50s Strat GAS has you thinking about taking the walk of shame as you carry your new Strat home while having to explain to your friends and acquaintances you don't know why you've flipped. It could have something to do with your 40th. And I think it's a good move you threw it out here to see what the members think. Don't worry about why you've flipped. I say go for it. It will give you an opportunity to really dig into a Strat and find out if it was just a whim or there's something/s good about a Strat you've missed all those years. And if the whim peters out, you can always sell it off. The best to you PM. . B)

Strat GAS.......happens to us all!

I too was a Gretsch electric player back in the day and, after playing everything else for many years, found that the big-bodied, short scale Gretsch 6120 was my holy grail of electrics. Very, very comfortable and possessing a unique tone. After playing the 6120 (and a 6119 as well) a Strat and/or Telecaster did not feel right at all. Long scale, big fingerboard radius......behind a Gretsch, a Fender electric just ain't right. Ignore the GAS......stick with the Gretsch!

The convergence of your 40th with the anniversary of the Roswell, New Mexico landing has me leaning towards alien abduction as an explanation. I would use what ever rationalization is necessary to justify the acquistion. The more guitars you own the more rationalizations you have "squandered" and the closer you are to running out of rationalizations. But I could be wrong.

Look at it as the 'one' solidbody that will replace all the others.

Last year I played a few tele selects that just grabbed me.

I bought one and did not have the intent to but decided to sell off my VG Strat, Tele B-bender and LP Custom and haven't regretted it for one day.

Or just add to the herd and don't worry about it.

IMG_0042.jpg

Though the owner of three nice playing and sounding LPs, and an SG (sweet) and 4 Gibson acoustics, I only own one Strat. MIJ with American pups and electronics. The Strat is my goto electric, she crys and moans, talks and sings. I get more voicing out of the guitar than any other I have ever owned.

I don't know your level of proficiency. But mine is bad enough that I get fall down laughter when I suggest to friends that a Gretsch isn't my "style." I was reminded that my style isn't something that anyone aims for and that maybe I should try all guitars out there. I still don't see myself having the room for the 6118 that I admire but at least I've admitted the guitar is fine, it's me that's the dodo.

You may have the chops to have established a style and maybe a Strat is outside that zone.

Otherwise, there are thousands of them out there to choose from.

So, a small question, GAS related of course... not even an acoustic so I'm singing to the wrong choir, but seeing as you lot are the ones I talk to, I might as well pitch it here... As a fully electric player for many years, owning more than 30 guitars down the years, I've had them all (relatively speaking) but I've never been a strat man, not even in the slightest, in fact for many years I would have argued I wouldn;t even take one for free. I like tele's but strats, eurghhh no ta.....

So, out of nowhere I now have major GAS for a 50's style strat, maple board, etc etc... cliche-ville you could well successfully argue, thought this was a weird passing notion, but so far, it's lingering, has been for 2-3 weeks. What's bizarre is I'm a Gretsch man really... so this is about as non-me as I've ever gassed for. What the be-jesus is happening to me.... Thus far I'm thinking it's a knock-on effect of my 40th birthday looming over me.. has to be right?

Chances are this could even be a present... so based on the 'emotional' value etc.. I'd rather not have something I'm ready to turn my back on as the whim peters out, but, there you go, gassing major for a strat, who would have thought it? and Yes I am thoroughly ashamed of myself for even allowing this to get as far as posting about it on the internet.

I have not read the rest of the replies.....but I can indentify with you on this topic.

Although many Iconic players have plyed their trade with the strat......I have not found one that I "really need". I always felt that I was playing a toy and "jammed up" with my hands when holding one....?????

Glad it is "just not me"......UNLESS you slip over to the "dark-side".... [crying]

But can I take the personal shame? ;)

PM, there's a saying that may apply here (from corp. restructuring and procedures I remember it from). "That was then, this is now" works perfectly here. I'm not any great, or prolly even good, player but that don't make no never mind to me. I love the Gretsch guitars, Ric's too along with the Strat's & Tele's. Just added a new American Standard tri-color sunburst rosewood neck with the 50's style pups to my Maple neck American standard Olympic white & 60th Annie Tele. It isn't a vintage 50's guitar as you're thinking of but to me it sure does play & sound great. I love it.

Also, I don't have just a wrench, and a few screwdrivers in my tool collection either. I have some hammers, sockets & other specialized tools as well. If you know how to use that tool, can make it work to your benefit, and enjoy working with it, then what the hey!! I draw the line if it comes to Ibanez however!! I'll use a screwdriver for a hammer before that!! [biggrin]

Just say'n, go look at some Strats & enjoy the hunt as well as if you find one you like. Then play it and see what maybe you've been missing. Likes been said, if you've been missing "nothing" put it up to sell it and it'll be gone in a heartbeat.

Aster

Archived