Gibson Brands Forums

Just noticed today at Cafe Gig....

onewilyfool

I know and play songs (without a capo) in every key.....EXCEPT....."B"...I don't know if "key " is the right term, since I don't know music theory, but, I play songs that start out with "A" chord, "C" chord, "D" chord...etc., every chord or Key except "B", I guess because that pesky B chord is hard for me to finger, kind of like "Eb", another chord I avoid at all costs!!! Which chords and Keys do you avoid???

I know and play songs (without a capo) in every key.....EXCEPT....."B"...I don't know if "key " is the right term, since I don't know music theory, but, I play songs that start out with "A" chord, "C" chord, "D" chord...etc., every chord or Key except "B", I guess because that pesky B chord is hard for me to finger, kind of like "Eb", another chord I avoid at all costs!!! Which chords and Keys do you avoid???

I suppose my answer is Eb, if you're talking about sans capo. I've been playing for many a year and never did master that chord well enough to play it without a pause to properly fret. I can play B without much problem but I don't care to, as I broke a knuckle on the ring finger of my fretting hand many years ago and it's not as strong as I'd like. But I can pull it off easily as a passing chord. Eb, not so.

No problem using a capo, but I'll only use it up to the 3rd fret, and that's for a song I play the key of "G" chords with in Bb. Rest of the time I'm just using whatever chords are needed for the song. My most commonly used keys are A, G, C, D, E. I'm adept enough with a couple of bar chord shapes to get-around the neck okay.....What I have found after doing things my own way in a guitar system I call "45-years of bad habits" is that learning some scales (like maybe G, A, C, D, and E) can add miles of tone/atmosphere/flavor to a song. Plus, if you know these major scales, you automatically know the relative minors scales, because the scale remains the same, except you focus on a different note as the root. Once I had opened that door I kicked myself in the head for being so stubborn for years. Anyway, don't be afraid to NOT use the capo (it will force you to learn ways to play chords you hate) and don't be afraid to use it. Lots of extremely good pickers do. Good thread. [thumbup]

The trouble with playing a B chord is that I have never fealty that the A-shape bar chord sounds good on an acoustics guitar. The E-shape bar chord sounds fine, but the A-shape bar (in this case, played at the second position) sounds too closed and does not ring well. I play a B7 chord in the open position often when playing the blues, but the bar chord just does not sound good.

Hmmm, I play tunes in B flat (hard to play Chuck Berry songs and avoid that key) but for the life of me the only songs I can even recall playing in the Key of B were "Drift Away" and "The Thrill is Gone" neither of which I have messed around with in years.

I use lots of capos and avoid eny barre that I can avoid.

I love to make my life easier so I don't play hard things.

Last few years I play only songs that I have made.

Covers I do for my youtube page.

Of course, there are a lot of Jazz chords and extended fingering Barre chords I tend to avoid, as well as a lot of #&b chords, which I can figure out given time, but don't toss in with regularity. I'm recently learning a lot of double stops and triple stops chords and partial chords up and down the neck, but I must admit, I don't even know their names, but use them for leads and passing chords. Again, I could figure it out with time, but usually just play them by feel.

Bar chords are the main reason my newer, adult students quit. It always bums me out because they are missing out on playing alot of great songs and using bar chords for more unique voicings. I actually avoid the key of E when writing because my voice doesn't like it. When I started out playing I don't remember giving bar chords any more thought than the open chords. They were just another obstacle like everything new on guitar. Of course the decision to use bar chords is 100% up to the player and if they are such a concern that it hurts their desire to play then they should by all means be avoided. Music should always be fun. Some people find that just playing within their comfort zone is the way they have the most fun while others love the challenge and gratificaton of overcoming a challenge. :)

Practice and improvise where you can. With the B flat type shape on the 1st fret do you need to play strings 5 and 6? Or do you only need strings 2-6 which makes barring easier. I know Roy Orbison did a lot of his Sun stuff in E flat but really played as E major shapes because he tuned his Les Paul down half a step and gave much more effective bends. When he started doing them live with his Monument songs he went up half a tone and did them in E major. Did Chuck Berry do the same?

For some reason I find B7 more awkward than B flat shapes and D# shapes. Muscle memory and practice. And sore fingers for a while :-)

Bob

I know what you're saying and have more or less the same views.

Oh, then rather choose a good old G-Em-C-D round and enjoy it there with f.x. Every Breath You Take.

But uakkkks, , , , doesn't that tune explode in an Eb at some point. . .

The one chord that I just dread having to deal with is F. Can't really explain it but I am guessing it has something to to with my habit of using my thumb for the low note and then having to position my hand for the rest of the darn thing. I tend to play that one in a hundred ways but always as a broken chord.

The one chord that I just dread having to deal with is F. Can't really explain it but I am guessing it has something to to with my habit of using my thumb for the low note and then having to position my hand for the rest of the darn thing. I tend to play that one in a hundred ways but always as a broken chord.

I hear ya brother.....when I was first starting to play, I literally avoided any song with an F in it.....lol...eventually bit the bullet and strengthened my fretting hand, learned the short barre "F" first then on to the Full BARRE "F", then of course I know all the full barre chords up and down the neck....but I did EVERYTHING to avoid that "F" chord.........I still cringe when thinking about it. I would substitued Dm or Dm7 for F until I could figure it out....lol

• 2 months later...

Well everyone is different and there is probably no right or wrong answer. I personally don't use a capo unless I am trying work with a singer that has a range that needs moved just a tad and I want to use open strings to get that ringing effect.

But most of the time is just isn't necessary for me. In fact, I played guitar for 30 years before I ever got one. =D

Most of what I play these days is off the caged positions (when I messed with electric, anything up the neck was good, these days, barre chords come up much). I worry less about chords than pitching the song where I can sing it. So, OWF, what number got you in the neighborhood of B? Or was it B? (hint: the chord you resolve on determines the key, not necessarily the one you kickoff with).

Even though I've been playing for 45 years, I HATE playing a Bm chord in the second position. Because of my cowboy-style of playing a barred E chord, on an electric I have no trouble playing the Bm at the 7th fret. Too big a reach on an acoustic. Seems like more and more songs that I've been playing lately have a Bm in them..... [thumbdn]

Read this a while ago and it made me laugh...

The difference between jazz and country western music?

Country western is playing 3 chords for 1000 people...

And........ Jazz is playing 1000 chords for 3 people ??????

Well everyone is different and there is probably no right or wrong answer. I personally don't use a capo unless I am trying work with a singer that has a range that needs moved just a tad and I want to use open strings to get that ringing effect.

But most of the time is just isn't necessary for me. In fact, I played guitar for 30 years before I ever got one. =D

Same here... It happened when I recorded two young girls - less than a third of my age - a few weeks ago because they used capos. I just wanted to keep up, and so I bought my first capo after 33 years of playing... [biggrin]

Major premise: My guitar teacher told me only hacks used capos because they don't bother to learn the guitar neck.

Minor premise: I saw a vid of Chet Atkins playing with a capo.

Conclusion: Chet Atkins is a hack.

Other conclusion: OWF, I enjoy your posts because I learn a lot from them.

FMA

[lol]

Read this a while ago and it made me laugh...

The difference between jazz and country western music?

Country western is playing 3 chords for 1000 people...

Very nice theory. Indeed, music in theory consists of melody and rhythm. No words about chords, but most people play some of them sometimes. :-k[rolleyes]

When it comes to acoustic guitar, certain keys just sound better, because of the ring they have. Closed position keys are hard for the ordinary person to make sound good, so the capo comes into play. My favorite capo story is about a couple SW Ohio guitar legends, both now deceased - Cal Collins, the jazz great and Dave Pinson, a little known, but outstanding bluegrass guitar player. Pinson was doing a set that Cal was watching. After the set was over, Cal approached Dave and said, "Man, I dug your set, but why the hell to you use that capo? You're plenty good where you don't need it." Dave looked at Cal, slapped the capo on the third fret and started Travis picking out of the G position. "Try doing that without a capo, Cal." Cal just laughed and said, "Point taken."

Archived