Gibson Brands Forums

did I pay too much?

joe c.

Just bought a standard with flame so ithought it was a good deal, as I am looking into it I found out it is a std classic plus witb baked maple board, I think these sold new for just under 2k I paid 16 and change, did I get taken?

I don't recall any LP Standards having the torrefied maple fret boards (aka baked maple). If the guitar has a torrefied maple fret board it's likely a LP Classic Custom or one of the LP Studio models. I seem to recall the Standards and Traditionals having laminated rosewood until Gibson recently went back to one piece rosewood. Some pics would be helpful determining what guitar you have.

If you have the torrefied maple fret board they are great to play on. I've got it on my Classic Custom.

As far as paying too much, that really depends on you, IMHO. If you like it and thought it was worth it then there are no problems.

Joe put some photos up.

CB is right though, if you like the tone and so forth, then WTF. Plug that bad boy in and enjoy.

Hey, I have to mess with you though. You have the sequence backwards. Your suppose to join the forum, ask the questions, THEN go buy the guitar. [biggrin]

Classic Plus, that's about what they go for on ebay. Joe here's Gibson's link.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Classic-Plus.aspx

Go to ebay and on the left is completed listings and you can compare the prices. You didn't get beat, you paid about the going rate for the LP.

Hey that 500T through the Marshall sounds good though, I know! [thumbup]

I like the SG Standard, what did you do remove the covers or replace the pick-ups?

Hey thamx! The 500 does sound good through my JVM, I love the slim neck, and the sg used came with the covers off someone put a seymore in rhe neck and the original is in the bridge, I have since put covers on the pickups, some old covers I had laying around.

The thing that I have learned is that in you hobby, if you have not grossly overpaid and you are happy, don't worry about it. Years from now the thought of the money will be gone and you will have the guitar. I have gone through this with guns several times. You never WANT to overpay, but sometimes you do. Enjoy that axe! It is pretty!

Just bought a standard with flame so ithought it was a good deal, as I am looking into it I found out it is a std classic plus witb baked maple board, I think these sold new for just under 2k I paid 16 and change, did I get taken?

Congrats...Keep it and enjoy it! It appears to be the average price for it. Years from now, the price is insignificant... take it from an old fart like me...LOL.

A good rule of thumb is that if you have to ask that after you bought a Les Paul, you probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Good Luck with it.

rct

and that is pretty much it. if you have to ask, it probably was, generally speaking. BUT, $1600 for a Les Paul, not bad, and its a beautiful guitar. love the vintage burst. very nice acquisition.

Archived