Gibson Brands Forums

It's comin' on X-mas

E-minor7

Mid-December in the whole wide world - I'm not as sceptical about the season as this Joni M-tune.

Had to give it a go anyway. . .

It's the re-necked now long-scale 1966 Country and Western. A fairly robost creature with both edge and soft spots, , , like the song. . .

https://soundcloud.c...beach/the-river

Have a Merry. .

Yes, pure class there Em7, always a treat having you post here.

Such a different tone from your 66' compared to my 69' ... yours really sounds like a powerful Bird'. Very warm, soft, powerfully delicate. My 69'er is much more dryer, woodier, more like a grumpy D-18 really.

Great production also mate, deserves one of these ... [thumbup]

Yes, pure class there Em7, always a treat having you post here.

Such a different tone from your 66' compared to my 69' ... yours really sounds like a powerful Bird'. Very warm, soft, powerfully delicate. My 69'er is much more dryer, woodier, more like a grumpy D-18 really.

Great production also mate, deserves one of these ... [thumbup]

I'd have put money on your '69er sounding more like a country and western :P

Em - am I right in remembering you use a Neumann mic ? And are the guitars and vocals recorded seperatley ? After listening again I'm loving the sound you get on tape. I understand a lot of its pure talent though.

Wow, as I was listening I thought, "This is brilliant". I came back to write my reply only to find "brilliant" had been used several times already.

I can't find another superlative but I will say that of all the wonderful performances I've heard on this forum over the years, I can't think of one that surpasses this.

Fantastic job Em7! Thanks and Merry Christmas to you.

Most excellent rendition of a most excellent song. Blue is on my all-time favorites list, has been since I first heard it so long ago. There's not a weak track on that album........amazing stuff. And you, sir, have a wonderful talent, vocally and instrumentally. Kudos to you and Happy Holidays! Thank you!

Dear Fellow-Forumites. Thank you so much for your nice comments, they are all balls, hearts and lights on the X-mas tree over here.

BBG and Alpinist – it's the Neumann and some EQ which almost wasn't active, plus a touch of reverb. And yes, the vox and guitar was done in one.

Two wrong bars were cut out after the first instrumental passage. But I just stayed in the performance without stopping, knowing this could be done afterwards and got back on track.

In fact a little nervous in the situation.

EA – Remember the 1966 and 69 squares are different inside.

But, , , this one was refurbished on the Gibson plant back around 1980, so it wasn't a blow to the 'original instrument' to re-neck it some 18 months back – this was done to get a wider width, , , and because I liked the sound of this thing so much I wanted to keep it.

The guitar and the operation will get a thread of its own when I find time and inspiration.

Sounds of jinglebells to everyone -

Archived