Gibson Brands Forums

OMG ... NGD

littlejohnny

I had a long primed NGD yesterday. According to the serial the guitar was born exactly one month ago.

Before I bore you with the details, here are the pics:

IMG_5270_zps5a14d931.jpg

IMG_5265_zpsbfda6d83.jpg

IMG_5261_zpsff02effc.jpg

IMG_5250_zpse4fe417c.jpg

Review, more details mayby even soundclips have to be postponed since I'll be in the hospital for a little knee surgery tomorrow and until then I will play the damn thing.

Congrats on the TV 'bird. Beautifully photographed on that purple. 'Hope you didn't buy that rug just to set off that beautiful 'burst. But, if you did, thanks.

Hope it sounds as good as it looks. Enjoy, and good luck with the surgery. Part of your physical therapy will be to drape that 'bird across your knee. Several times a day.

First of all, thanks everyone for the nice compliments on my new bird.

though its real hard for me and it consumes so much time, since english is not my first language, I try to tell you some of my impressions.

The guitar has everything I was hoping for: classic h'bird sound, but at the same time very lightly build and extremely responsive as opposed to the standard models I've played. The rounded neckprofile is exactly what I hoped for, feels and plays perfect for me.

The bass seems a little tight right now, but I guess thats normal for a guitar that young, and I guess its somehow unfair to compare it to the matured tone of my j-45.

When I read something like "fit and finish is perfect" in a NGD thread I sometimes wonder why my gibsons are never that way.

From the various guitars I've owned over the years I still own four Gibsons, (Les Paul standard 1990, J-45 2005, Es 335 2010 and the new bird) that were all bought new. And all of them have different little imperfections, and the h'bird is no exception. Guess I just mention that because of the QC thread. I just don't care about those little cosmetic flaws, I kind of like them actually cause they make my guitars individual.

Theres one thing I really did not like about the guitar, but i didn't stop me from buying it:

The V.O.S. finish. It was actually the fist time a saw and played a vos guitar and I have to say that this finish seems to be one of the most stupid ideas executed in a guitar building process ever, imho. Who wants a sticky feeling, dirty looking guitar? O.K. maybe people who buy guitars just to show them of in a glass cabinets. But I think those people should have some overpayed experts throwing mud at their guitars to make them look old and used. I kind of like to play my guitars, they'll look used soon enough. Really who likes sticky necks? I just don't get it.

Anyway, bottom line:

I just love my new guitar and I feel pretty fortunate to own so many great gibsons.

I'm pretty grateful and feel a little guilty at the same time, since my family is gonna have a real shitty holiday this year, cause daddy had to buy himself such an expensive guitar. :-"

p.s. soundclips maybe later, since I got all my recording stuff in my rehearsal place and right now I am a little immobile to say the least.

Does anybody know which strings these guitars come with? There's a pack of 80/20 Masterbuilts in the case.

IMG_5276_zps9d81a70a.jpg

IMG_5271_zpseb14d1cc.jpg

Theres one thing I really did not like about the guitar, but i didn't stop me from buying it:

The V.O.S. finish. It was actually the fist time a saw and played a vos guitar and I have to say that this finish seems to be one of the most stupid ideas executed in a guitar building process ever, imho. Who wants a sticky feeling, dirty looking guitar? O.K. maybe people who buy guitars just to show them of in a glass cabinets. But I think those people should have some overpayed experts throwing mud at their guitars to make them look old and used. I kind of like to play my guitars, they'll look used soon enough. Really who likes sticky necks? I just don't get it.

You can partially de-VOS a guitar by using Virtuoso Cleaner, then Virtuoso polish. I've done this to my L-OO Legend, and it now has just about the right amount of gloss: not as shiny as a brand new gloss finish, but not as dull as a VOS finish.

The VOS finish usually isn't sticky, I suppose it is possible that your finish is not fully cured yet. If it's actually something on the surface making it sticky, a light wipe-down with naphtha might do the job, but don't use a really saturated rag.

Really who likes sticky necks? I just don't get

I bought a new sj last year and the neck was real sticky for a few weeks. Mind you I don't have a tv of a vos finish either. Sticky neck it would appear is a somewhat common phenomenon.

Regarding sticky necks, I have found it is a bit like the wind blows.

My 2010 J-45 Standard produced big black cakes during the first summer and is not quite through yet – and this as you know isn't a VOS.

The 2 Birds - both VOS - didn't have the issue at all. Neither did/does the non-VOS Firebird (or perhaps the '12 Bird and the F have a micro-hint).

What can be said, , , I can't answer.

No doubt the Bird-bass will loosen up and become a tooth louder, maybe more than that, but generally I don't think you shall expect the same embracing nature as the one of the 45.

Your's is the Historic Collection or the Modern Classic, isn't it – and it might be a bit gentler than my black-nut-Std., but still exactly that theme – the projection and 'whelm' of the 45's – will be the most significant difference between the 2. The Hummingbird being tighter, having more note separation and lesser depth than found in many slopes (long scale squares too).

My take anyway –

Look forward to follow your path with this new flier, , , in fact with the 2 of them side by side, and hope to be able to exchange some facts as you/we go.

Now I'll await the first recording.

Enjoy

Archived