Gibson Brands Forums

For those who used to gig, but are out of the game...

kebob

I started playing in the mid to late 60s. I started gigging regularly early in the 70s. I was primarily a bass player. I trusted Christ as my savior in the late 70s, so playing in the bars didn't appeal to me anymore. I sold my equipment and bought a used j160. Soon after that I started college and seminary. The j160 suffered neglect for over thirty years. A few years ago I traded it off and got an 08 j45 mc.

No, I don't miss gigging. I do still love music and have handed that love down to my kid. They all play at least one instrument. Three of them are music majors: two in piano and one in voice. Since starting playing again ,though not with the same intense pursuit as I did before, I have accompanied them in recitals and have played in church. I play mostly for my own enjoyment and relaxation.

chasAK

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I retired almost two years ago, I've been playing more gigs than I ever have before. Most of it I'm enjoying. Some of it is an occasional pain-in-in-***. I'm getting it narrowed-down to just the stuff I want to do. If a gig turns out to be too much like work, then I don't want to do it. Most of them pay $25-40 plus tips, so I make a few bucks too. Thank God I've never done this for the money...lol...I'd have starved-to-death long ago and my wife would have divorced me too. It's kind of turned out that I'm half-way decent on the stuff I do and I enjoy it. Making a few bucks from it is just gravy. Anyway, I'm enjoying myself. I'm getting pretty picky on where I play. I've developed a following of about thirty people and if they all show-up at the same gig, the place really comes alive, so I'm having fun. I've even become inspired enough to start putting-together a CD of my songs. Going to call it "People I've known and will never forget." Something like that anyway........... Never really thought I'd being doing this, but it just happened. You don't have to be Dylan or Cash or The Beatles, etc. You just have to be you........ [thumbup]

If I may ask: How long do you plan on playing so regularly? Until you cannot do it physically anymore? The one thing I kick myself for is not playing out when I was younger. I lacked confidence in myself to play publicly for years. Now that I've done it for awhile, there's nothing to it. Wish I have learned that lesson in my youth.

To quote a fellow New Jersey musician: "All That Heaven Will Allow" That's how long I'll play out. At 58 now and I am busier now than I have been since the mid 90's-they were good days for a lot of gigs but the money is better now than it was back then. I love playing music and I just got home from a gig in West Palm Beach (my second of the day) and I played a 2 hour and 10 minute 1st set, took about 20 minutes and finished it off. I LOVE my job so I don't like to stop especially since I quit smoking 11 months ago.

Reading this thread reminds me of why I got in the business end of live music and not the performing/touring end. The fact that I'm shite guitar player had something to do with it, too. Lugging a briefcase was much more appealing than an SVT cabinet. Still doing it at 59 as a matter of fact.

You should be playing those beauties you own for a crowd, JJG.

Speaking of 'lugging', When I was about 18, I bought a Fender Twin, which were among the 'ultimates' at the time, except I bought the wrong one.......I got the SuperReverb180 which I soon realised meant it weighed about 180 pounds!

2 gigantic ship anchor speakers with gigantic magnets....I was skinny and very strong for a while there, until it gave me a Hiatus Hernia lugging it up stairs....

A bass player bought it off me .....

BluesKing777.

In ways the nastiest I hadda lug was the Fender Leslie. I don't think it was quite as heavy as my big 120-watt tube amp with the two speakers, but... it was so blessed ungainly to haul. Ditto the big four-speaker cab for the Bassman head.

That's all part of the reason I've gone to lighter stuff and emphasize a PA 'cuz it's modular. Although I wouldn't mind a Bose tower if I get back into it...

Still what I leave the house with is all under 40 pounds; and there's a carrier (like a suitcase carrier) for the amps.

m

I feel for the crew when the truck opens to reveal a Hammond B3 with Leslie(s)…oof..

I did a few shows with Yngwie Malmsteen over the years (what a jackass) and he hauls around something like 25 marshall cabs and heads. I thought all the cabs were dummies but everyone of them is loaded.

Yeah... Except for a "house band" situation in a relatively small joint, I can't imagine hauling the B3 and cetera. Nor all those amp cab walls.

As for the B3 and Leslie... I think you can get awfully close with a lot lighter stuff. Good enough IMHO to sound like the real thing if you're in a big enough venue that you'd have to mike the Leslie anyway...

Of course I'm not a kid any more and I ain't got a roadie so... I really do tend to look for efficiency that gives an audience 95 percent of the best possible sound for while they're doing whatever they're doing. Few sit and listen to critique one's equipment and/or "tone.

m

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

Memories, memories...but nothing beats the sound of a full outdoor concert rig.....in a small bar-room!

The other thing that was hard to do was be consistent...I haven't done that much gigging, but I could always be consistently inconsistent!

Some people do it ok - a guy I knew is still 'small bar gigging' every week, I just saw in local rag...must be 30 years in the same band.

I was thinking about that and there is the other thing...what if you had a big hit and you still had to play it...like Ralph McTell said of his hit, it could be wonderful and it could be a real anchor... with the same guys? Phew.

BluesKing777.

Actually a lotta standard "house band" type gigs do end up with a lotta repetition, although there's an expectation of new material too, to see how a given bit goes over.

The disadvantage is that if you obsess on finding yourself playing almost note for note what you did the night before and last weekend and all last year and... it seems more than a little boring.

The advantage is that if you instead are able to have some contact with the crowd, you can communicate good vibes and that's what keeps bringing 'em back and your checks not to bounce.

m

• 1 month later...

Like a lot of others have said... Some good times and fond memories, but also lots of not so fun stuff ( bar owners trying to stiff you, long travel, cancelled gigs, etc, etc). What I do miss is playing with other musicians and that musical bond. We ( the old boys club) still try to get together every few weeks for a Sunday jam, but life still gets in the way sometimes.

Yeah, lotza truth to that one.

But there are another branches in the road that might be taken. There are couples who work exceptionally well together - at least as long as both share ongoing goals.

Or... <grin>

Kottke with a tune he didn't write, but lyrics more than a few pickers might recognize whether they go on the road or simply realize the girl ain't gonna work for a picker.

Took most of the 90s and 2000s off, then got back into it in the last few years. When I was out, I didn't think I missed it . I guess I forgot what it feels like, because back in, full band, with the power of a rock rhythm section, 3-part harmonies and 3 players capable of tossing solos back and forth...This is more fun than I deserve at my age. Beats sitting at home with a stiff, ahem, drink in hand. Best part about getting back into gigging at this point? The crowds we draw are, naturally, older. Folks that are coming back out now that the kids are grown. They are not casual clubbers looking for love; they're out late on a Saturday night for the music. Great crowds to play for that really appreciate deep cuts, unique arrangements, risk. Best audiences I've ever had. Oh, and we find them In a much better class of joint than the old days...and they tip really well.

P

I just got back into some occasional/regular gigs after 8 years out having children and doing normal life things, and I must say I do love making and playing music with other people. There are some nights when it just doesn't feel right, but you have to just plough ahead when that happens and remember that others might be having a different experience from you.

I've given myself a real challenge in trying to play Irish reels at something approaching full speed on an acoustic guitar, and man, I just can't keep up with the fiddles and box players. Dennis

I just got back into some occasional/regular gigs after 8 years out having children and doing normal life things, and I must say I do love making and playing music with other people. There are some nights when it just doesn't feel right, but you have to just plough ahead when that happens and remember that others might be having a different experience from you.

I've given myself a real challenge in trying to play Irish reels at something approaching full speed on an acoustic guitar, and man, I just can't keep up with the fiddles and box players. Dennis

Been there myself Dennis. Guinness is the secret!

Amphetamines work really well for this, the Guinness will level ye up afterwards.

...Best part about getting back into gigging at this point? The crowds we draw are, naturally, older. Folks that are coming back out now that the kids are grown. They are not casual clubbers looking for love; they're out late on a Saturday night for the music. Great crowds to play for that really appreciate deep cuts, unique arrangements, risk. Best audiences I've ever had. Oh, and we find them In a much better class of joint than the old days...and they tip really well.

P

My granddaughter is more appreciative than the the best crowd I ever played for. She may not pay all that well...well, not in money anyway [biggrin] .

Of course, amphetamines and Guinness, what have I been missing all my life! Man, when they play at full dance speed I can barely keep up an accompaniment the pace is so hectic, let alone try and play any notes. Still, it's fun trying to get up to speed and feeling like my fingers have a life of their own!

Well, the original question was if you've stopped gigging, do you miss it?

I think any performer wants to perform so yes, they will miss it. All the equipment hauling and band squabbles and stuff can make it a pain, but when you get up under the lights and the band is tight there is nothing else like it.

There are also different levels of "gigging". There is the full time musician who makes his living playing, and there are the weekend warriors who play once a months more or less. There may be a quantative amount of performance that each of has to give during our life. If you play three or four nights a week for many years you might use that all up and then when you stop you don't miss it, you put energy into other things. But no matter how long you've played, or how many gigs you'e done if you still have something left in the tank I think you will miss it until you get it all out.

The music is fun, the business end not so much.

it seems to go in cycles for me. bands seem to last 3 to 5 years for whatever reason. in between bands, I enjoy being home, not having to rush to a gig, and lug gear around at 3am. But after a year or two of retirement, i'm ready to play. Last band I was in, we played almost every Friday & Saturday night for 7 yrs. By the time that ended, I really enjoyed some time off.

I completely miss it. I now gig once a year and cherish it. I gigged in the 70's, late 80's the nothing until 2010 when I was in a band for about a year. Now it's back with the guys I played with in the 70's for a once a year thing.

I do, in general, miss it. I love it.

Archived