Gibson Brands Forums

I know I shouldn't complain but...

ksdaddy

I know a lot of people are out of work. I'm lucky. I have a fed job, been full time since 2002.

The 'powers that be' looked at staffing and decided that our office had one too many people and the office 42 miles away had one too few. So early last month I was informed I would be directly reassigned to the other office on April 7th. No mileage reimbursement. So the commute went from 13 miles to 55 miles. Same job title, same pay, same hours, just a different client base and a long drive.

My co-worker CAN retire but isn't ready to yet. When he retires, there's a good chance I could be reassigned to my old job.

I have an easy job with good pay and benefits. I also hate it. The day is slow and there is no sense of accomplishment whatsoever. I work with good people but the red tape that they've dumped on us in the past few years is incredible. We COULD be getting a lot more done if we had a little freedom to do so. We have more and more crap dumped on our computers every month, both technology and security, and they don't run right most of the time. At this point, when I want to PRINT something, I have to send the print job, remove my i.d. card from the keyboard, go to the printer, hope it recognizes my card, log in, wait for it to print.... cripes, man, I want to print something, not access Area 51.

I know, I know..... I have a job. So does the guy unloading freight at WalMart next door. When he punches out I bet he has a lot more sense of accomplishment than I do.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Corvette so the commute will be a little more fun, I hope. It's a miserable drive, so I might as well be miserable in a Vette than an '88 S-10 Blazer.

I am so tempted to make a serious Dave Ramsey type attack on what little debt I have, and kicking the kids off my cell phone plan, just so I could take a job at much less pay. I wish it was 1981 and I was on a forklift.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I am extremely fortunate in this day and age, I too lament how utterly ridiculous being a fed has become. I'm able to get out next year without penalty, Mrs can get out 2018 on full retirement. We are planning for 2018. I feel sorry for the new people, it just gets worse every day, and they won't be happy until we are all gone and the contractors get all the money. We are just too much overhead, we just cost too much. Doesn't matter what we do, we just cost too much. And the new peoples get less than us older folks that started long time ago get.

Sucks to be a fed, but it's the best job around here. Lord knows I would not want to be out there looking.

rct

KSDaddy...

I think that you're allowed to complain. As in this case, you're also noting that you are thankful for what ya have. So you're not just tossing it out there off hand..

The truth is,, sometimes, the frikken glass is just half empty.

and it's NOT wrong to say WTF?

My commute takes me an hour on a good day, and it's just over 45 miles.. the traffic around here is horrible, even a Vette wouldn't help!

I work in IT for a large company, there's little sense of accomplishment as I'm a support toad. I guess I do get a charge now and then when I stumble on a pretty difficult problem, and I am able to fix it (Linux and open source stuff can be a nightmare to support).

But at least it makes the person who's having problems happy that some one had a clue,

and well, I do like helping people.. so I suppose it cold be worse..

one day a time buddy.. one day at a time..

KS...

Given the snow outside the office here, I'd not wish to be in a 'Vette. That's heavy snow so far in seven months of the year.

I tell young folks to forget my line of work. Period. And to get a job with the government somewhere because that's where the world is going for the time being.

Were I to have gone into public school teaching instead of writing for periodical publications, I'd currently be long retired with more money than my current paycheck - and with full insurance benefits as well. The private sector, even that which once had such bennies, ain't got 'em now. And since I've ended up teaching composition, photography and design since the early '70s... Sheesh.

I think too that personal feelings of accomplishment can be found elsewhere from one's effort for one's daily bread. At least that's how it hits me as an old guy. I've been involved on local museum boards and rodeo committees for over a dozen years and find that rewarding with far more frustration per hour spent than at my paycheck job. Etc., etc.

Federal regs hit the private sector too, btw, and cut efficiency which means, as in other bureaucracies public or private, cutting of job positions which further increases the same bureaucratic load per employee and even less efficiency.

Increasingly I think I know the feelings of folks in Constantinople in 1453.

m

Things could get worse also in the future. I buy a car that gets gas mileage. But ya, you probably make too much money in one of those jobs.

Yeah, but I'm pretty frugal when it comes to vehicles. I haven't had a car payment since 1997 and even then, it was a $1500 personal loan to buy an old truck that I still own. I generally drive junk. My '88 Blazer was my father's. He passed away in '99 and it sat in the barn until 2008 when my mother gave it to me. It still only has 86,000 miles on it. The gas mileage isn't bad but it has a 2.8 V6 with automatic and overdrive, so it's brutal to keep up with traffic out on the highway. A friend is retiring 4/30 and will sell me his 2000 Honda Civic with 197,000 miles on it for $1200. Excellent gas mileage but it's like picking up a Bic lighter off the side of the road. Could last a day or a year.

I've got the '57 but I don't want to subject that to having it's wheels run off it. I may take it once in a while in the summer.

I thought about getting something like a used Volvo sedan or a Saab convertible; not financed, something in the 5000 range. It would be much safer than a Vette but.... it's not a Vette. I'm having a little bit of a mid life crisis. The Vette I'm thisclose to buying is a '95 California car with 134K at $6700, tax, title, documentation fees, etc included. Not big money nowadays. My wife says, "Why don't you just BUY something newer and more reliable and get it over with?"

*sigh*

I'm cheap, that's why. If I get a Vette it will be from salting away ebay flip money. Guess I consider it to be a reward for taking risks, exposing what stash money I had, and making it work for me.

The people in my office are outraged and saddened that the state office is pulling this foolishness with me. Nothing anyone can do though. I hope they don't plan on doing anything for me before I go. I'm embarrassed by the whole thing and it's like I'm being punished. I know I'm NOT, but...

I plan on taking Friday off. I'm coming in here Thursday night and bugging out. All that will be left in my office will be the push pins. I haven't had a drink in 10-1/2 years and don't intend to, but if I was ever tempted to crawl inside a bottle, this week is it.

I tell young folks to forget my line of work. Period. And to get a job with the government somewhere because that's where the world is going for the time being.

That would be great if a government job looked like it used to look. It doesn't. The Job Creators are all waiting for it to be all contracted out to them.

In the meantime, new employees pay ~6 times more into their retirement than I do, for the same benefit. There are more than three proposals roaming around the bottom feeders of congress that would eliminate federal retirement benefits as of <2019, 2022, 2020> in order of potential passing, most give the 2019 the best shot at being broached, and we all know that once broached it will be done. Maybe not this time...

For 2013 my Self and Family health insurance cost me more than 5 thousand and the government paid out more than 11 thousand. Yes, 16 muthafukkin thousand dollars for health insurance for two people. Plus co-pays, deductibles, out-of-pockets. Seriously big money going down thes hitter on health insurance in this country. Notice that I nowhere used the words "health" and "care".

Our life insurance group rates are sick low, most fed are like 4 times way over insured, I know our retirement person just told us to start bringing all that insurance down. And of course, she was just at a meeting that of course discussed, you guessed it, no more group rate for feds because everyone knows the free market can do better. Right.

Taxes. Our 26 pay periods are designed along with our tenure step/band/pay increases to cop the most in taxes that can be gotten for our salaries. Largest workforce in the world, of course we have the highest taxes in the country, dollar per dollar, compared as it should be.

And before this thread is locked, all of this applies to either/or/both "parties". They are the same pack of crooks with different logos. Nothing is more exasperating than the idea that people believe that one name brand of political discussion is better than the other.

rct

snip < I'm having a little bit of a mid life crisis.> snip

Slightly!

edit: Ok, ok. My conscience is bothering me! Been there and done that with over 30 yrs, in the machine between the army, ferderal and state jobs. You'll get to retire "young" with good income and benefits. But, your mental and physical well being will be sacrficed to the cause of uselessness within the system! You will see vague shadowy forms out of the corners of your eyes for the rest of your life. You'll be dependent on a proton pump inhibitors til the day you die. And, In short you will be deep dipped, rebattered and refried! But, take heart, your'e past the point of no .......... so there is no going back. Pull yourself up by your b-b-b-b-b-b-boot straps, laugh at it all and buy the darn Corvette. Fantasy is the only way to exist in a government job. Use Marvel Mystery Oil in that old V8; compression will improve greatly!

Yeah, working in an office these days totally sucks...

I come from I.T. and multi media (computer games and video editing) and was an I.T. manager in my last job..

Back in 1995 when I started in the games industry it was amazing.. You were all working towards releasing a game, it was creative well paid and non corporate.. As time went on and the money came in when games went properly commercial the red tape and processes and project management styles were all in constant flux as none of them worked as they should. And the industry got worse and worse. Now days its just so corporate that as you say it gets in the way of doing the actual job. And when your in a creative environment its even worse since you need to allow some flexibility for a game to evolve. Its why most games these days are so boring and all the same. Cos they wont even take a chance on any new ideas any more. To get a game made you have to pass it through a board of people including marketing and sales people and shareholders who don't even play or understand games but they have more power than the actual people who make them... Its just so frikken stupid. Ive had over 15 years experience and cant even get a job interview (been over 2 years now).

Opps sorry, I went into slight rant mode there (which happens when I talk about this)....

But the point I was getting too is that EVERY person I know who works in that sort of environment HATES it.. like its sucking their soul to live type hating it. And most of that is down to all that sodding red tape... it just makes work so painful.

As for me, im still unemployed... and the thought of having to go back to that office/commute life style just scares me now and really im hoping never to have to go back to that sort of environment if I can help it... EVER!!! .. Im really gonna this luthier thing my all, even though that's taking its sweet time for me to perfect my techniques out.. I may never get rich doing it, but I dont care any more, if I can just survive on it and get to be my own boss, I will..

I switched my health plan during open season a couple years ago and never regretted it. I downgraded and saved about $80 a pay period. I was admitted for heart surgery and it was $40K. I don't remember paying hardly anything.

However, now I'm having a brief but intense thought of mortality and I'm thinking life insurance. I have a pissant whole life policy worth about $23K, plus about $94K here at work. I owe $55K on the house and I'd like my wife to NOT have a payment. I can't increase my FEGLI (work) insurance unless it's open season and they haven't had one of those since 2004. "On the street" it's brutal, $2300 a year for $40K. I will likely enroll in mortgage insurance through my bank... a decreasing term policy that will pay off the note for $53/month.

I worked in the service dept. of a local Harley Shop for 7 yrs. Could get pretty stressful. had an hour drive to and from work. in the morning, it gave me time to wake up, and in the evenings, time to unwind. especially when i was on my bike.

I worked in the service dept. of a local Harley Shop for 7 yrs. Could get pretty stressful. had an hour drive to and from work. in the morning, it gave me time to wake up, and in the evenings, time to unwind. especially when i was on my bike.

Yes, and I have to keep reminding myself that I worked out of that very office 55 miles away from 1999-2002, only actually employed by the local Conservation District and not USDA, even though we shared the same office space. I did get used to the commute and it became routine. In addition, it gave me time to think about things, both to and from work. It gave me a chance to wake up in the morning and unwind at night, you're absolutely spot-on about that.

I'm resistant to change and the anticipation of the change is eating my guts out. It won't be as bad as I'm making it out to be, I'm just nervous.

People have said "Take your Harley to work!". Meh. I'm a fair weather rider in my old age.

RCT...

With all due respect, and I've been around and reporting on government and private business for a long time, you're correct that "government work" lacks what it once had.

But it's still better than anything in the private sector around here - and largely due to a combination of government regulation and taxes.

Bureaucracies in both the government and private sector have dehumanized "work" that most of us do, one way or another.

Seriously, like it or not, "government jobs" still are the most stable and long-term economically rewarding if there's any sort of "fit" for an individual.

My brother, 40+ years in law enforcement, and I have talked about this with increasing frequency given our age. He's looking to buy a house and has the "retirement revenue" to do it. Me, with nearly 50 years as a writer in periodicals, ain't nowhere close. Yet 25 years ago he was on the rough edge of paycheck to paycheck and I was traveling the world on somebody else's dollar.

m

When I moved to Spain I shipped my 84 Corvette ahead of time so it would be here when I arrived. I've had three Vettes, a 68, 78 and the 84... Love them. Ended up selling it though and bought a Harley. I use that alot more... Wish I could afford a new Vette. I hear you KS about the long commute. I say buy it and enjoy the ride!

The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence. I too am a Fed employee and am getting too old to be doing PT tests and deploying every 18 months... but I have to remind myself how I take things for granted and recount my blessings.

There are literally millions of people that only dream of buying a corvette, or a Les Paul in their lifetime. Many more that wish they had a job to complain about... or to have benefits and insurance.

Yup, the gov is out of control. The red tape never ceases to amaze me... and it seems to wax worse by the week.

On the other hand, we all know money does NOT buy happiness and we only have so many minutes to breath on this spinning ball we all share. I try to live my life with as many new experiences and breath taking moments as I possibly can as none of us know when we will strum our final string.

I have to remind myself to slow down and step out on the porch with a cup of java and watch the ducks and geese light on the pond, silhouetted against a setting sun, etc.

I hope all works out for you brother. Jobs have a tendency to cut in to our leisure time, but something about liking those groceries keeps us going back! :-)

I suspect job satisfaction would be low for a large majority of people. Many households now have at least 2 people working just to 'get ahead' (oh really?) and it can be hard just to look up and out much of the time.

It'd be an interesting thesis to compare the decline in life satisfaction levels with the rise of 'reality' TV too I think....

anyhow, the price you in the USA pay for health care/insurance is frankly staggering and must put added stress on the get the job/keep the job/pay the bill treadmill. Truly staggering. Though perhaps you pay less income tax and get cheaper goods it still all needs to be budgeted...

Tulee12 - good points you make. I allow myself 2 cigarettes each day - one while I stand on the back porch before heading to work and watch the hills peak out of the mist and into the light, and again at the end of the day when they breath out and sink back into the dusk. And at the end of it all it will still have been a privilege to have lived.

Sweet car! When I lived in MD my commute to NASA was about 35 minutes (less than 10 miles though). Then I took a position at Catholic University and my commute went to over an hour one way. I didn't mind the long drives as much as I minded the traffic. That just drove me nuts. We do have some traffic here (1 million people in my city) but I it's always moving and nothing like DC.

Guest Farnsbarns

So your job's easy and well paid and you've just bought a car your wanted. A few miles a day shouldn't be getting you down fella. Chin up! [biggrin]

Archived