Gibson Brands Forums

Okay, Fess Up; How Many Guitars?

Jimi D-Bo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 9. They are listed in my signature. I have actually reduced the number by trading two for one lately.

However, the herd will increase shortly as I'm looking at getting a Les Paul before the 2015's come out with the hideous changes.

Here is the Martin 000-17sm on which I installed new Waverly's:

waverlycropped.png

I have 9. They are listed in my signature. I have actually reduced the number by trading two for one lately.

However, the herd will increase shortly as I'm looking at getting a Les Paul before the 2015's come out with the hideous changes.

Here is the Martin 000-17sm on which I installed new Waverly's:

waverlycropped.png

That's a very good photo, drathburn. Are you a pro?

I started to reply to this thread and then realized that I already did in May. Then with 8, now with 11. What the hell? I thought I was downsizing. It's a good thing I have no control because I now have a J-45 1942 Reissue which is the best of the lot by far. Absolutely awesome guitar and actually considering sending the J45TV on its way.

I want to get down to five.

1 J45

1 LG-2

1 electric

1 classical

1 beater

Probably will never get there, but I am finding it easier to keep rotating and letting go of guitars when I know I own another that I like more.

• 1 month later...

Four. Two of them get played every day, one is a backup electric that gets swapped into the daily playing rotation regularly. One simply doesn't get played. That either means I've got the wrong fourth, or three is enough. Heck, I KNOW 3 is enough. That's one acoustic, one electric and a second electric so a gig doesn't have to come to a stop if something goes wrong. I don't really need a backup acoustic as I could finish a solo gig with an electric guitar, no problem. It might even be fun. I'd love to find a fourth that would find its place in daily rotation, though. Currently my obsessing is happening here...

w3gcon7466misdfjyqv2.jpg

...but I'm trying to talk myself out if it. It would, perhaps, be the perfect solo gig electric, but I don't play jazz (well I comp under vocals on a few standards), and I'm getting very good, useable solo tones from the electrics I have. Unfortunately GAS isn't about need; it's about DESIRE!!!!

P

Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage

Gibson LG2 American Eagle

Martin D-15m

Martin Gruhn 0000-15m

Martin S1-Uke

Taylor GS Mini Hog Top

Gretsch Boxcar Round Neck Resonator.

Fender Telecaster (hecho in Mexico)

What was once 20 is now 8.

Ideally I would like to sell one of the 15s, the S1 uke, and maybe the Boxcar and get a Hummingbird - but that's a bit away. I am also giving the LG2 to my son. I love it for sure, but he just goes ga-ga whenever he plays it.

One less

I'm giving one to a friend for Christmas

You need to be thoughtful giving guitars away, not careful, but thoughtful.

Last year, I gave away 3 budget guitars to 'make room', and Guitar Karma sent me 5 great ones back! So, it is possible that the better guitar you give away, who knows what could turn up?

BluesKing777.

Archived