Gibson Brands Forums

Im sorry to be the first one to say it

Rabs

Did you realise that its only just over four months till xmas and the end of 2014 :o

How did that happen?

Time is indeed crazy.. It seems to be a well known fact that time moves quicker as you get older.. That's certainly the case for me.. A year is like nothing now.... What about you guys do you notice the same thing?

Well at least we have some new Gibson models to look forward too :unsure: ;)

Yeah I have always wondered about why that happens...

And I can only assume that for most of us, the routines we get into are a lot to do with it (I reckon anyway).. Like we find ways to break up the day, like, ohh its only a few hours till lunch, then you have a tea or coffee a few hours later then its home time and the evening routine starts.. I think that sort of way of thinking makes the days slip by...

And maybe its just the human response to time.. Like if we were forced to live every second like when you are young we would all probably go insane.. Imagine a day or week of work where you feel every second [crying]

Yet at the same time we have to treasure the time we have as we never know when it will be over.. Kind of depressing but true. But I think its why the expression "live every day like its your last" exists.. Just enjoy what you can while you can.. that's what I say.

And I can only assume that for most of us, the routines we get into are a lot to do with it (I reckon anyway).. Like we find ways to break up the day, like, ohh its only a few hours till lunch, then you have a tea or coffee a few hours later then its home time and the evening routine starts.. I think that sort of way of thinking makes the days slip by...

And maybe its just the human response to time.. Like if we were forced to live every second like when you are young we would all probably go insane.. Imagine a day or week of work where you feel every second [crying]

Yet at the same time we have to treasure the time we have as we never know when it will be over.. Kind of depressing but true. But I think its why the expression "live every day like its your last" exists.. Just enjoy what you can while you can.. that's what I say.

And the older we get, the more we realize we have to do everything we dreamed about soon, time starts to run out [unsure]

Latter years i have noticed i consider sleeping longer than to say, 8.00, in the weekends is waste of time, when i was teenager i slept through the whole weekend [tongue]

Time, is like a roll of TP, the closer to the end you get, the faster it goes! [flapper][crying]

SUMMER goes by WAY TOO QUICKLY (for me, anyway)! Winter, seems to drag on FOREVER! [tongue][cursing]

Never cared for "Winter/Cold Weather" etc. And, if the forecasts are correct, we're in for a longer,

wetter (rain and snow) and colder Winter, than normal. At least, in my part of the country. [crying]

CB

Rabs,

It can all be found with-in Einstein's theory of Relativity.

The expanding universe in which we live extends down to humanity even to the molecular level of our own being.The farther everything,( humans included ) expand into the universe both time / space are sped-up /distorted.

The very analogy which I use is the sense of time & our own perception of it back when we were mere children. You almost hit upon the very analogy which I use.

For example,remember the time when it seemingly took hours for a grocery trip or any mundane thing which now as adults take just moments ?

The farther from our own human universal center ( womb ) we travel in both time /space the faster events / life begin to pass.Time distortion.The same holds true for our extraterrestrial - interstellar world out THERE as well..

Accordingly time will continue to expand into the endless void beyond.For infinitium.

However at some point in time, when we are all again grains of interstellar carbon, the great void will begin to contract. This is as far as I will go on a Sunday morning .

Gonna settle in,do some noodling,watch the last Golf major of the year,pull for Rory McElroy & Phil Michelson !!

Cheers Mate.

X

Yup! Before you know it, it'll be Labor Day... Halloween... Thanksgiving........ Christmas.... and then, I turn another year older soon after that.

The years are going by faster and faster, and not much changes really. Makes me wonder if I am doing enough with my life! :unsure:

It can all be found with-in Einstein's theory of Relativity.

The expanding universe in which we live extends down to humanity even to the molecular level of our own being.The farther everything,( humans included ) expand into the universe both time / space are sped-up /distorted.

Yes, the universe is expanding, and at this point in the history of the universe, the expansion is slowly accelerating. But this doesn't really cause or affect humans' psychological perception of time. The expansion is totally overwhelmed by local gravity, and even moreso by the force holding atoms together. The rate of expansion is so small, it is totally negligible at the scale of the entire Milky Way, which is 100,000 lightyears across. It only comes into play because there is such a huge amount of space between clusters of galaxies. To observe time dilation, you need two separate frames of reference. Everything on earth is essentialy in the same frame. The light curve of a supernova 4 billion lightyears away will show time dilation, viewed from our frame here on earth. If some alien was viewing that supernova from near the explosion, there would be no time dilation, and the time associated with the explosion would appear to pass normally.

Humans are certainly restricted to physical laws, but their imaginations aren't. [wink]

yes indeed.. we can measure time.. a second is always a second (within reason)....

It is only our own perceptions that change. Of course unless you are omnipotent or live for thousands of years.. Then time means nothing ;)

Yes, the universe is expanding, and at this point in the history of the universe, the expansion is slowly accelerating. But this doesn't really cause or affect humans' psychological perception of time. The expansion is totally overwhelmed by local gravity, and even moreso by the force holding atoms together. The rate of expansion is so small, it is totally negligible at the scale of the entire Milky Way, which is 100,000 lightyears across. It only comes into play because there is such a huge amount of space between clusters of galaxies. To observe time dilation, you need two separate frames of reference. Everything on earth is essentialy in the same frame. The light curve of a supernova 4 billion lightyears away will show time dilation, viewed from our frame here on earth. If some alien was viewing that supernova from near the explosion, there would be no time dilation, and the time associated with the explosion would appear to pass normally.

Humans are certainly restricted to physical laws, but their imaginations aren't. [wink]

Cougar,

Good explanation that.

Guess that explains why Wal-Mart has Halloween item in the isles already too.[rolleyes]

X

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm glad you said it. I was going to post much along the same lines but having had 1 argument already yesterday I thought I'd let it go.

In reality, the reason our perception of time speeds up as we age is quite simple. We think of an hour as a constant, a day as a constant, etc etc but these time units have no landmarks to define them as we live. The only true measure our minds have then, is our life. As our remembered life gets longer our minds still compare that time to an hour or a day. An hour now is a tiny fraction of my life and as a result my mind perceives that as a shorter time when compared to the only constant, my life. when I was 10 (now close to 40) an hour was 4 times as much of a proportion of my life than it is now.

To put this in perspective, when I'm in my mid 70s a year will seem to pass in the same time 6 months does now.

Sometimes people moan about old drivers going so slow, imagine the cars coming at you at double the speed the do now, add that to the fact the reactions thoughts and muscles slow as we age too. I'd be going bloody slowly too!

Interestingly, GPS works because all the satellites in the system send out a time pulse, our GPS device can triangulate our position (actually for position including altitude it quadrangulates) by comparing what it receives from each satellite. The system was designed to take account of general relativity effecting the clocks but the US government were dubious about whether the effect was real so it was all built in such a way that the feature could be turned off post launch. It wasn't and without that tweak positions would go out by as much as 3.6K per day (I think, haven't redone the maths after years of not thinking about it but that's the number that comes to mind).

To put this in perspective, when I'm in my mid 70s a year will seem to pass in the same time 6 months does now.

Lol.. I feel like that now..

What does that say about me :unsure: :)

Mind you I have almost no routine.. all the days and weeks mush together.

Archived