Gibson Brands Forums

What 1 Band or Artist ...

Karloff

That's awesome! I used to work at a catering hall in the 80s and 90s that hosted a lot of wedding receptions. We had a house band that used to play this song. They would start by playing some romantic song by someone like Lionel Ritchie or something that would get a lot of couples on the floor slow dancing. Then they would subtlety go into "Dead Puppies". The puzzled looks on couples faces as they slowly realized what they were dancing to, was hilarious. [biggrin]

Ogden Edsl Wahalia Blues Ensemble Mondo Bizzario Band is one band I never would have expected covered at a wedding reception! [scared]

That's funny. [biggrin]

This is a spin off of the thread "What 5 bands do you hate" ... What band or artist do you love, that a lot of people just don't seem to "GET".

For me, it would have to be Capt Beefheart. My wife, kids & more than a few of my friends think I'm insane when I listen to Mr. Beefheart.

I only hate metalicca for napster, the other 4 bands i dont hate, i just believe they are overrated and/or annoying. Zepplin, Pearl jam, creed, nickelback are all pretty cringeworthy for me.

A lot of people dont get how wonderful Depeche Mode was all these years and its not all digital they do play instruments and they do sing and their music sets a mood and tone that is difficult to put into words.

Btw, capt beefheart is cool in my book, he went against the grain and a lot of my punk idols worshipped him, it took me awhile to figure out why, but i think its his fearlessness.

Can I only choose 1? [biggrin] Cuz there seem to be quite a few.

My wife hates King Crimson, particularly this era which I love...

My friends in high school and college hated when I cranked Gang of Four in my car... too bad.... I like it

Im 45 so i didnt really know king crimson growing up, but a friend recently played Epitah for me, she knows i love gothic type music and that song is unreal!!

Great stuff!

Im 45 so i didnt really know king crimson growing up, but a friend recently played Epitah for me, she knows i love gothic type music and that song is unreal!!

Great stuff!

King Crimson are fantastic. I love Epitaph off the first album, but I do think they got way better when John Wetton & Bill Bruford joined. Larks Tongues (1973) & Red (1974) are masterpieces and it is a shame that line-up didn't last longer. If you like Epitaph listen to Starless from Red. One of the best tunes you will ever hear [thumbup]

The Grateful Dead.

Generally people couldn't understand the attraction because their recorded body of work sounded nothing like them.

And yes, on one of their "off" nights, they lived up to almost every cliche that was ever piled on them, but...

On a GOOD night, the musicianship was unearthly. When you could feel the beat of 2 drummers and a bass player who was dialed & locked in, it was a completely different experience from listening to one of their records or CDs. Weir's rythmn work and Garcia's lead floating above it all took it all to levels I'd never heard from a live band before.

The mix of blues, jazz, country, folk & rock and a catalog that spanned almost 40 years, they may not have always been consistent, but they were truly unique.

Burt Bacharach.

Genius.

P.

My father played piano. Growing up there was always a piano in the living room and there was always a Burt Backarach song-book upon it. The one he used to play alot was "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head."

It didn't inspire me, but it didn't repulse me either...

As for G&S I was forced to go to the local Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts highschool while I was growing up and watch several of the musicals the touring theater group of the day was putting on...

I enjoyed both Mikado and The HMS Pinafore! Dead-Eye D!ck was my favorite character as a child... Can't say I really recall the music as much as the live theater acting...

(I hate how the text censors won't let you say type the name of such folks as **** Dale or Dead-Eye ****... It's a little over the top!)

The Grateful Dead.

Generally people couldn't understand the attraction because their recorded body of work sounded nothing like them.

And yes, on one of their "off" nights, they lived up to almost every cliche that was ever piled on them, but...

On a GOOD night, the musicianship was unearthly. When you could feel the beat of 2 drummers and a bass player who was dialed & locked in, it was a completely different experience from listening to one of their records or CDs. Weir's rythmn work and Garcia's lead floating above it all took it all to levels I'd never heard from a live band before.

The mix of blues, jazz, country, folk & rock and a catalog that spanned almost 40 years, they may not have always been consistent, but they were truly unique.

I've gone thru a powerful hate era over The Dead. I had a girlfriend when I was 20 that was a Dead-head and all she cared about was listening to them and smoking pot. She followed them on tour and Max Creek. I went to 1 Max Creek show and was so put-off by the crowd I never even listened to the music which was nothing more than Dead covers. (as far as I knew, but I hear they have some great original stuff that I've simply overlooked on principle)

I was such an anti-drug guy all my life, never having even tried pot (or any other illicit, illegal, or recreational drug, although I drank too much beer around then) in my 47 years on this earth, I just couldn't understand not only the draw but the slovenly brain-dead, maggot infested, brain diseased hippy lifestyle... And I though of myself as a 60's throw-back because of my taste in music... Clearly I was nothing of the kind and maybe could have been considered "old-school" at the most...

Anywho, lately I've been hearing many of their late 60's jam sessions and can't help but realize how Allman Brothers-ish (My favorite band in a two-way tie w/PG's F-M) alot of their work was in that period. I realize now that my bias, due to her anger invoking memories on my soul, has led me to overlook some very piquant guitar work from them...

If it wasn't for my parts manager having Pandora up on the customer display screen monitor computer, I'd not have found I actually enjoy some of their music...

I'm not willing to consider myself a Dead-head, but I can admit I like some of their recorded work and find it Bluesy and piquant...

Blodwyn Pig "Ahead Rings Out" album, especially.

CB

I myself have tried to come to terms with them/their music, and can't quite seem to get it done...

I find that hard to understand in myself because I like Mick Abrahams and certainly liked his work in early Jethro Tull!

I also find myself put-off by Wishbone Ash too...

... the other 4 bands i dont hate, i just believe they are overrated and/or annoying. Zepplin,... are all pretty cringeworthy for me.

Wha...!!? wash your mouth out!! 2 minutes in the sin bin for you young man!(lol)

I'm a child of the 70's so I'm not supposed to (by convention) like latter material, however...

In recent years, while trawling for anything interesting, came across...

The Presidents of the United States. there stuff just tickles the hell out of me.

Everclear. love Sparkle & Fade.

and a band I know absolutely nothing about. They're probably a one hit wonder, however their debut song just put the hook into me.

Spacehog - In the Meantime. don't know why, just is.

Not sure if anyone else gets them.

Archived