Gibson Brands Forums

What 1 Band or Artist ...

Karloff

This is a spin off of the thread "What 5 bands do you hate" ... What band or artist do you love, that a lot of people just don't seem to "GET".

For me, it would have to be Capt Beefheart. My wife, kids & more than a few of my friends think I'm insane when I listen to Mr. Beefheart.

This is a spin off of the thread "What 5 bands do you hate" ... What band or artist do you love, that a lot of people just don't seem to "GET".

For me, it would have to be Capt Beefheart. My wife, kids & more than a few of my friends think I'm insane when I listen to Mr. Beefheart.

Yep - the Captain for me too. [thumbup]

Mention these guys and many people think, "Oh yeah, Hocus Pocus. I've heard that." Surely got much more airplay in larger radio markets than mine where it was 80% Country at the time.

Mention them around here these days and people say, "Huh?" or "Who?"

At about 8:35 is some great guitar work... if you can't stand to wade through the slower yet very melodic parts. Deserves a listen in its entirety, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvHWl7Bx9kw

Eruption

"Orfeus" (van Leer)

"Answer" (van Leer)

"Orfeus" (van Leer)

"Answer" (van Leer)

"Pupilla" (van Leer) - some great slow jazz work here

"Tommy" (Tom Barlage)

"Pupilla" (van Leer)

"Answer" (van Leer)

"The Bridge" (Akkerman) - rocks

"Euridice" (van Leer, Eelko Nobel)

"Dayglow" (van Leer)

"Endless Road" (Pierre van der Linden)

"Answer" (van Leer)

"Orfeus" (van Leer)

"Euridice" (van Leer, Nobel)"

Here's the more entertaining version. Better to go to the site and run it full screen. Won't work well without high speed broadband.

I think this place will most likely know and/or understand most of such choices, I think the music knowledge and grasp in here runs pretty damn deep!

My own choices aren't going to come as off-the-wall in here whatsoever, but I speak to my locale and the community in which I grew up and the standards that passed for average/normal/popular music here in semi-suburban New England USA...

Dr. Feelgood; there's just something about them that strikes me as fantastically piquant and musically moving... Gotta luv Wilko! And I'm not a punk or new-wave guy whatsoever, I'm a Blues-Hound and this is way outside my normal kind of liking...

Danny Kirwan; way over-shadowed by Peter Green, I found Danny's left-hand vibrato technique to be 2nd to none, including BB King's! He is probably my biggest guitar hero, his work from '68-'70 or '72, after that, not so much...

Robby Krieger/The Doors; I think he was very different and very unique. I don't think I've ever seen anyone take such a back seat to a massive star like Morrison, yet Robby penned most of their most memorable songs and is at least 1/2 responsible for making Morrison such a super-star. And his Flamenco style finger picking technique is literally masterful! Very big early influence on me! I think John Densmore the drummer was a very unsung drumming hero of the era, criminally overlooked, and between a minimalist kit he played and the styles/approaches he combined and used to make rock music out of so much more and deeper defined techniques was exceptional, you can't say enough about Ray Manzarek who played the bass organ with one hand and all the keyboard parts with his other hand and his feet and often sang along or even sang when Morrison was too drunk or passed out for a gig, not to mention taking on most of the singing duties in the twilight of the history of The Doors after Morrison died... That kind of musicianship just doesn't come along very often.

The Talking Heads; David Byrne and company just had something special, I liked Jerry Harrison's piquant guitar work and the whole band together was larger than the sum of it's parts. There was just something special and fun about them and one of their concerts. When I was in my teens the "Stop Making Sense" concert movie was in local theaters, smaller more intimate venues, and it was like a big concert/dance/party. Everyone in the theaters was on their feet dancing singing and cheering to the music/movie. There was just something about it/them...

Jack White; Not sure I really get him myself, but I find the core riff/lick/guitar driven music to find it's way into my interest and liking. Some of what he does repulses me, and some of what he does lights my fire. I can't put my finger on him and he sure is out there and sometimes it's tough to grasp his concept of music, but that core guitar influence and passion is there on the bottom line...

... And I saw X open for Oingo Boingo and David Bowie.

Oingo Boingo was another I thought about adding - though I clearly passed quota a long time ago... there is a surprising amount of good guitar on Oingo Boingo albums, but it's overlooked. He even played a Les Paul when I saw them live in like '83. [biggrin]

Ogden Edsl Wahalia Blues Ensemble Mondo Bizzario Band

Dead Puppies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sol14ZRPPrs

That's awesome! I used to work at a catering hall in the 80s and 90s that hosted a lot of wedding receptions. We had a house band that used to play this song. They would start by playing some romantic song by someone like Lionel Ritchie or something that would get a lot of couples on the floor slow dancing. Then they would subtlety go into "Dead Puppies". The puzzled looks on couples faces as they slowly realized what they were dancing to, was hilarious. [biggrin]

Gilbert and Sullivan - especially 'Pinafore'.

Tom Waits - especially 'Frank's Wild Years'.

Miles Davis - especially 'In A Silent Way' (which was suggested to me by dem00n).

Any of these acts can only be listened to when no-one else is in the house - although I'm working on my daughter with the G&S stuff. I think she'll love it once she 'gets' it.

P.

Pippy...

I never use a big, big D - although "bother it" I may occasionally say... well, hardly ever. And I like Tristan und Isolde too, especially that last scene.

But here's one I like - and lotsa folks don't. It's somehow a combination of rock, country, folk and blues whatever she sings.

Bobby Zimmerman even backed her up with harmonica on occasion... did a lotta Fred Neil material like Blues on my Ceiling that brings up goosebumps. Few other folks seem to like her material. She lasted longer than many of the generation, but not necessarily all that well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ78-GT3gdQ

I never use a big, big D - although "bother it" I may occasionally say... well, hardly ever...

.........so I'll give three cheers and one cheer more for the well-bred 'Professor' of the Gib-son For.............(um).......

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif......................eusa_clap.gif

LOL!

The old Alma Mater always adapted one of the Savoy Operas for the end-of-year bash but, unfortunately, I was the year behind 'Pinafore' and our lot did 'Mikado' instead.

Still; Great Fun all round.

Nice clips of Karen Dalton. You've mentioned her before but those ones were new to me.

Thanks for posting!.............[thumbup]

P.

I'm a big PJ Harvey fan but my wife just hates her and won't let me play her stuff in her presence.

She says that Polly Jean is disturbed which is probably true.

A

Brilliantly disturbed! You'd probably like Nick Cave then, I guess?

I'll say Nickleback.

I don't "love" them cause I don't even own any albums. But I do like the songs I've heard. And obviously someone else likes them too cause they've sold a lot of records and sell out venues. But I know there is a huge group of people who hate them for being "corporate" and "mall rock" or whatever other term applies when your songs get played on the radio. But I like 'em. B)

I could say the same about Green Day, and I even own some of their albums. [blush] I actually do love American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown.

Archived