Gibson Brands Forums

What size strings do you use ?

4Hayden

I use 10-46 on most of my electrics.

I have 11-s on a Gretsch hollowbody and a PRS setup for slide.

On my acoustics and acoustic/elec's I use D'Addario EXP 16 12-53

They all work for me.

BTW, the PRS once came setup with 9's. I just couldn't get used to them. Too thin. YMMV and I'm sure it will [biggrin]

When I started out with my Sear guitar and amp combo , my teachers told us to use 12's. Now I use 8's , time and guitars have changed and so has my fingers.

So do you use 7,8,9,10,11,or 12's

I use 10's on my Rics and 11/s on Gretsch, Epi and Gibby they work well for me.

I use 9-42 on my Gibson/Epiphone electrics. I may experiment with 8s on my new Tele, due to the longer scale length. My ESP gets 10-52 for more aggressive styles and drop-D tuning. Most of my acoustics get 10s, with the exception of my Fender F-210 which gets Rotosound acoustic 9s. That one is set up with super low action for fast picking/lead stuff and it can handle the acoustic 9s due to the 25.5" scale length. They're too floppy on anything with a shorter scale unless you tune up to F.

I think it's a matter of how you play what.

All but two of my electrics wear 9-42. The '70s Guild "SG" type wears 8-38. The Gretsch archtop is a string experiment platform.

Technically all my "acoustics" are AE. 9-42 on the fingerpickers and 10-46 on the flatpickers. The AE 12s... haven't really found anything I like. Right now 10s on the one I'm playing more, but 10-48 and tuned down to D-standard.

I'll add that preferences have changed a lot over the past 50+ years, as well as types of strings available.

Overall, though, I'm the last to claim that my choices should be emulated by others. It'a a matter of what and how I play that "fits" me and may be truly horrid choices for someone else.

m

I think it's a matter of how you play what.

All but two of my electrics wear 9-42. The '70s Guild "SG" type wears 8-38. The Gretsch archtop is a string experiment platform.

Technically all my "acoustics" are AE. 9-42 on the fingerpickers and 10-46 on the flatpickers. The AE 12s... haven't really found anything I like. Right now 10s on the one I'm playing more, but 10-48 and tuned down to D-standard.

I'll add that preferences have changed a lot over the past 50+ years, as well as types of strings available.

Overall, though, I'm the last to claim that my choices should be emulated by others. It'a a matter of what and how I play that "fits" me and may be truly horrid choices for someone else.

m

Just found that 8's & 9's are easier to bend

It's like anything else - you gain something you lose something.

You can't stomp on the 8s. You really can't stomp on the 9s, either. Nor the 10s on the AEs.

I guess I can't help but bring up Mother Maybelle's "Mapes Extra Heavy" strings back in the'60s that she let me attempt to play. She'd capo up and play that old Gibson archtop like an autoharp - scratching across the strings. It worked quite well for her.

m

10-46 on Gibson and since not so long 9-46 on long scale neck, Strat and Tele, now that I have to play often and as lead guitar, playing comfortably numb solo is way much easy with 9-46. Standard tuning.

I was the same until recently - 10's on Gibson/Epi scale length and 9's on the Strat scale length. Now I'm mainly using the latter in Eb tuning I've gone to 10's there too. So its 10-46 all round now. (Elixir Polyweb)

Archived