Gibson Brands Forums

Any BuzzKills??

harmonicchaos

ya'll have any friends, spouses or family members that give you flack for playing guitar, wanting new gear, what kind of music you listen to etc.? And how do you deal with it?

I have a certain family member that is the "distortion police", hates that i play electric guitar, and is trying not to let me save up for and buy a nicer amp (i'm to the point where is just play my guitar unplugged because i hate messing around with what i have... one of the worst 80 bucks i ever spent) among other things... But i won't get into that... i don't like it when posts turn in to looong complaint threads...

My wife watches tv with the volume down low... very low. She sits cross legged on the bed and does jigsaw puzzles while watching tv. If I am in the next room with an acoustic I get the feeling I'm drowning her out if I play at all. She would never SAY anything but just the idea of creating too much noise in a quiet environment makes me wimp out.

Amazing how much better my playing is when the house is empty.

I used to know a guy that always gave me crap everytime I bought a piece of gear. He was like my accountant, he was keeping track of how much money I was spending on guitars. He would even comment on it to other people.

Of course he played golf and did not mind blowing cash on that...or on his excessive comsumtion of alcohol (as in gay shots and rounds for everybody).

Misery loves company and some people will not want you to have a passion as twisted as that sounds...

Hang in there...

my dad thinks i'll give up everything to do with music before i even start.

proved him wrong. bin playing the drums for 3 years now, still haven't given up.

he says any of the music i like (hendrix, led zep, gnr, acdc) sounds like a load of rubbish and then listens to 70s disco.

i've learned to ignore it and just go play crazy train really loud to annoy him

Only self-absorbed "frontmen" who constantly use phrases like' date=' "you think you can clean that up a little?" or "I'm just not feeling the humbuckers are working in that song."

+:-@

H-Bomb[/quote']

Hahahaha I know EXACTLY what you mean. Isn't that the worst?

All of my friends give me crap for having so many pedals and putting so much money into my already expensive guitar. Most people spend just as much money on video game systems, controllers, and games. I sold all mine to gamestop in order to get most of my pedals. Money well spent.

My wife is also my best friend... She would never ask me to turn it down or stop playing... Im lucky in many ways!

The old granny next door is 96yrs old. She's a real gem! she says she cant here me when my Amp's cranked!

Flight959 =;

Most of the people I know really don't like the music I listen to. They can piss off' date=' just do what you do, and don't give a damn what anyone else thinks because in the end you're satisfying yourself. [/quote']

Yeah....I'd have to agree....Matt's one of my best friends, but he does like some really....ummm.....lame radio friendly crap I try not to think about...No big deal though....There's music for everyone....You should never care what anybody thinks about you or what you listen to....When I was in high school I got a lot of **** for liking the kind of music I listen to....I grew up in the era of "Nu Metal" but I never got into that stuff....I always liked older bands, so people gave me **** for listening to GN'R, Motley Crue, Zeppelin, etc....I find it funny though because those are the same people years later I saw wearing Zeppelin shirts and goin' to Cruefest.

Archived