Gibson Brands Forums

Jim Decola interview discussing 2015 range

Mikey P

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a wind and unwind feature that you're supposed to use for string changes, so you don't need a string winder at all. You just push the correct series of buttons to activate it.

We were talking about doing the winding if the battery was dead and you had to do it manually.

And I was only fooling around.. anyone who actually played a gig without charging it first or checking there was enough juice would be silly.. :)

There is a wind and unwind feature that you're supposed to use for string changes, so you don't need a string winder at all. You just push the correct series of buttons to activate it.

Yea, I think using a winder for a guitar with robotune is a tad redundant. Kinda like insisting your signal be all analogue before you send it to the all digital mixing boards. [scared][thumbup]

Well, basically I was considering what to do when all the rechargeables are dead... :unsure:

We were talking about doing the winding if the battery was dead and you had to do it manually.

And I was only fooling around.. anyone who actually played a gig without charging it first or checking there was enough juice would be silly.. :)

The manual says not to use string winding tools. http://images.gibson.com/Site-Images/Campaign/GFORCE/Documents/GF_OwnersManual.pdf

Slap in another battery? :blink:

Well, some months ago my experiences with my first digital camera taught me within days that I need at least three of the dedicated rechargeables, and I guess I'll buy a second charger, too. What a progress one may need that also for guitars! [crying]

Playing my active magnetic/piezo hybrid guitars allows for a 200 hours (Fishman) or 500 hours (GraphTech) stint per 6LR61 9V block. That's easily controllable, and, except for the SG Supra calling for a flat surface and removing the electric cover, battery replacement is done within seconds.

Seriously Gibson does read this forum I see customer service jump in here all the time. They know who I am you can bet they looked me up and saw that I AM a customer to the tenth power. Its not a big deal but they are TRYING to get my money again. Since I bought and registered ten so far its a safe damn bet I am going to buy more new Gibsons in the future If they pull their heads out of their rears. This is the medium they have given me and all other customers to express their likes and dislikes. I have expressed my likes many times, now I am an unhappy paying customer. I suggest THEY figure it out for next year as I gave Fender the purchase this year. At this point I know for fact 2015s are NOT moving I have the inside to some of their biggest operations, Musicians Friend and Guitar Center. I live ten miles from the warehouse and I am friends with and even band mates with employees. The 2015 catalog is not selling, so since I and many of my friends that are even bigger customers than me are using these in bars and buying them, they had better listen before its to late.

Here is average Bill going in to Guitar Center try one he has money he got his tax return I bet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPHKBX7iJt8

Im betting things will be different in 2016 lets wait and see.

The first one he played in that video was the exact model and color I just sold. My opinion is just about the same as his. I agree that we should see some more traditional options returning in 2016. The G-Force on mine had most of the same issues as the ones he tried.

Superb looking instruments - I assume a fair bit of the extra $$$ you pay has gone into fit and finish. just fantastic.

however,

I would be so p!ssed if I spent all that money only to find that the tuning system KNOWS that the e (or b or ...) is flat - it actually was lit up red - and refuses adjust itself into tune. On both guitars! apart from being ugly, I quite like the idea of auto tune, but that's frighteningly poor performance even if it was on a cheap guitar - its counter productive in fact. The neck is going to be a matter of taste, the hologram and crayon scribble should be just in 2015, but a self-tuning system that won't tune itself is hard to accept.

...but they sure are pretty.

Seriously Gibson does read this forum I see customer service jump in here all the time. They know who I am you can bet they looked me up and saw that I AM a customer to the tenth power. Its not a big deal but they are TRYING to get my money again. Since I bought and registered ten so far its a safe damn bet I am going to buy more new Gibsons in the future If they pull their heads out of their rears. This is the medium they have given me and all other customers to express their likes and dislikes. I have expressed my likes many times, now I am an unhappy paying customer. I suggest THEY figure it out for next year as I gave Fender the purchase this year. At this point I know for fact 2015s are NOT moving I have the inside to some of their biggest operations, Musicians Friend and Guitar Center. I live ten miles from the warehouse and I am friends with and even band mates with employees. The 2015 catalog is not selling, so since I and many of my friends that are even bigger customers than me are using these in bars and buying them, they had better listen before its to late.

Here is average Bill going in to Guitar Center try one he has money he got his tax return I bet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPHKBX7iJt8

Im betting things will be different in 2016 lets wait and see.

Agree with a lot what you said. That video, though, just goes to show what an idiot that guy is. He is hacking on the strings constantly, when he's trying to tune the guitar with G-Force. That tells me, he never bothered to ask how this thing works. You strum once, then do your fine-tuning by hitting each string individually. If he'd done that, there would be no problem. The only thing he's showing here, is his own lack of intelligence.

For me it's all about the neck. First, last and all. When I go to buy a guitar and I pick it up, before anything else, my left hand is running up and down the neck, feeling it out. If I'm happy with that, then I continue looking over everything else.

They've changed the necks on these 2015's. I don't like them. They're too wide now, and they've done something with the ends of the frets which feels weird. And I don't like compound radii. I am a huge fan of the slim taper '60's style thin neck with a constant radii. Love them.

I don't like mini tune, or e tune, or g force, or whatever the hell they want to call it. I much prefer to tune it myself thank you.

For me, they have to go back to the neck style I like. If they don't, my wallet stays in my back pocket. Simple. I have been accumulating Gibby's since 1975. I've pretty much got all I need or want now. But if I do come down with a dose of GAS, I won't be buying new over the counter at the guitar shop any more. I'll just buy second hand and alter it the way I want. So I'll still get a Gibby and someone will still get my money, it just won't be Gibson any more.

And if they don't want to or couldn't be bothered listening to me, a customer, that's fine. I'm not forcing them to, and I'm not going to loose sleep over it either. But if they don't, I think it could be to their own detriment. I think that maybe there's a lot of other guitar players out there that feel the same way I do.

I think that Gibson has blundered, and done so badly, but thats JMPO.

[glare]

The nibs needed to go. They were just stupid.

Agree with a lot what you said. That video, though, just goes to show what an idiot that guy is. He is hacking on the strings constantly, when he's trying to tune the guitar with G-Force. That tells me, he never bothered to ask how this thing works. You strum once, then do your fine-tuning by hitting each string individually. If he'd done that, there would be no problem. The only thing he's showing here, is his own lack of intelligence.

Yep, you would think a guy would at least familiarize himself with the product he's demoing before hitting the record button. I've seen that video posted at least a dozen times in the last 2 weeks as "PROOF!!! that the Tronical systems don't work". :rolleyes:

Here's how you properly tune with the G Force and Min Etune at the start of this video. Easy to do and works every time.

Gibson needs to offer a few more traditional neck shapes on their SGs and Les Pauls next year though. I also think it would be mega cool if they just tossed a set of Gibson Deluxe tuners in the case of the new guitars so you could swap them out if you wanted too. People like options. [thumbup]

"Gibson needs to offer a few more traditional neck shapes on their SGs and Les Pauls next year though. I also think it would be mega cool if they just tossed a set of Gibson Deluxe tuners in the case of the new guitars so you could swap them out if you wanted too. People like options."

FAB [thumbup]

It would make more sense to offer those goofy self tuners as an accessory which could be purchased separately but then how many would they sell?

It scarcely matters, they've obviously been barred from importing ebony so if I want another electric I'll just buy used and get the features that I want.

I've never played one of the 2015 models, but in theory the wider neck sounds like a good idea to me. I do think we get a little hung up over the size and shape of guitar necks, personally I've never found a guitar neck that I haven't been able to get used to. I did play a 2014 LPJ with the tuner system and it was quite amusing (but I was only trying an amp out), but I have to say, I think the brass nut looks like a disaster to me.

Would I buy one? I don't think so. The biggest problem I have is the re sale value. Firstly with all the bad press that the necks are getting no one is ever going to take it off you. Secondly the G-force tuning system will inevitably "date" a guitar. Who's going to want to buy yesterday's technology? A Les Paul traditionally has been desirable, be it brand new one or a 60 year old example, because the 60 year model is as up to date as the new one give or take the odd detail hear and there. Buying a G-Force tuner is a bit like buying a 60 year old computer (if they were recognisable as a computer to us).

The fit and finish of those guitars looks superb, way better than previous years (but I've only seen them on video's) but the big sticking point here is the price. I know Gibson's have always been expensive guitars, but £2500 here in the U.K for a Standard? You could get 5 Epiphone Les Paul's for that, and there's not that big a difference!

I don't think "we" are the customers that Gibson are trying to attract with all those changes, but you've got to question whether young kids are really that interested in what sort of guitars they play and if they can afford those prices? At the end of the day sales (or lack of) will dictate how the 2016 Gibson's look.

I do think we should avoid getting personal towards Jim, as I'm sure, whatever changes he's implemented he believed he was acting in the best interests of Gibson.

Ian

I do think that the people at Gibson have read the posts on this and other Forums. Hopefully they appreciate what many of us are saying. Innovation is fine but it is also important to leave certain things alone. I have a 2014 Traditional in Heritage Cherry Sunburst and it is magnificent. Please Gibson innovate on one or two models but leave what works alone. I have played both the Traditional and Standard 2015 Les Paul Models and found them sub par to my 2014 and they both cost much more. I'm sorry Gibson but the guitars were not worth $3000 plus taxes. We all make mistakes. The important thing is to learn from them. I really hope that the folks a Gibson go back to building solid, quality built guitars. Keep the Gibson heritage strong don't destroy it.

Archived