Gibson Brands Forums

Meanwhile, over at the UMGF…the natives are restless…...

onewilyfool

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the opportunity to take a tour of the Martin factory just

last week. The finishes are indeed applied by a robot. Whether

you like their bursts or not, they are VERY consistent. I suspect

the mechanical nature of the finish booth makes subtle blending

more difficult than if applied by a "burst expect".

... I didn't know it was called a clown burst! Ha...

I had the opportunity to take a tour of the Martin factory just

last week. The finishes are indeed applied by a robot. Whether

you like their bursts or not, they are VERY consistent. ...

So these rather are robot than clown bursts :)

I owned a CEo 4r years back. Yikes. I didn't know it was called a clown burst! Ha...

But let's give a little props... Martin makes a sick Amberburst...

You are right Sal and I almost forgot that I own a Martin Amberburst. How silly of me. :)

7592006a-f8bc-4212-863f-1690d2de060f_zps135eaxfy.jpg

The Martin guitar designs are the most widely copied of all time. So now I think Martin is just having a little fun, showing that they too can play this game.

I believe their CEO guitars should not be taken too seriously. "The Martin" logo, well, that is just funny...

Lars

I'm taking my CEO7 very seriously - it is a truly superb little guitar!

One of the best guitars I have ever played for fingerpicking, and wow...I own it!

Don't care if it is painted in polka dots when it sounds great, but I like the Autumn Burst.

BluesKing777.

To me, the real issue is the fact their CEO8 is an obvious knock at what might be considered Gibson's #1 iconic guitar. Gibson is not suing them because CFM's attempts at 'sunbursts' look like tri-color bullseyes. Their CEO#s appear otherwise to be tamed-down, generic guitar-looking guitars. But #8 almost appears to have been made intentionally ugly, degrading both Gibson's SJ200s, 300s and the new Bob Dylan signature.

Martin is obviously big and secure enough to be able to afford to produce a handful of guitars making a statement.

For example, here's a statement they are making "Louvin Brothers". http://www.martinguitar.com/new/item/3586-d-28-louvin-brothers.html

• D-28_Louvin_Brothers_x.jpg

The bursts at Martin are done by two long time employees, they're the only ones allowed to do them according to my tour guide at Martin.

If that's the case, they could benefit from a few lessons in Bozeman.

what is the Louvin statement?

"Their comprehension of the tortured throes of a drunkard's Satan-infested soul are no less profound than Lou Reed's own understanding of a heroin junkie wrestling with a world devoid of meaning beyond the piercing tip of the needle... The depth is there in Satan is Real"[crying]

I don't think the litigation part is all that big a deal. No big payoffs or anything.

Simply put, it's obvious that even if no money changes hands, Gibson has to at the least protect some of the design aspects of this guitar, or loose them. They at least need an acknowledgement from Martin they are "borrowing" some Gibson aspects.

My guess is that rather than give Gibson such credit, which would be on paper, it is easier for them to just not make it.

It IS obviously a Martin-made copy of a Gibson.

The only real copy would be the fret markers…headstock, body shape and even pick guard are quite different than any Gibson…although clearly "inspired" by the Gibson looks….I don't think you can copyright design. The so called Japanese lawsuit guitars where you couldn't tell the difference between a Martin or Takamine until you got up close to headstock, or actually played them. Martin only sent a letter, there was never a lawsuit, and Tak stopped reduction on their own. Probably the same thing will happen here……but really it is so funny…….Who will Gibson sue next Walker, Kopp???? Why not go after those Chinese knock offs instead???

Maybe they go after Ren next for making some Orpheum Guilds that are VERY much like Gibsons. Their Guild 12 fret slope shoulder is basically the Jackson Brown model…..is Ren next?

A letter to Ren would likely read, "Please come back".

I mean, if it DID read that...that would be that best move, wouldn't it?

Smart accountants and smart lawyers, anyone smart....P-L-LEEEEEEEEEEZE???????

We LOVE you!

Any thread that is started about the Louvin Bros. Guitar over at UMGF is quickly closed by the Admin.

Saw the Satan guitar in the 2015 New Martin Models catalog I picked up, along with the CEO-8.

Now honestly, I think Martin can do better than coming up with this kind of goofball stuff.

Felix the Cat - Yes.

Satan - No.

I knew the burst on my Martin CEO7 reminded me of something when I first saw it in the shop - 52 Gibson LG1:

2GibsonBurst1_zpsn9kaw3xv.jpg

BluesKing777.

Hey, BK, maybe it's an Oz thing, but in the US, we figured out that it's easier to get books out of the bookcase it you place them on the shelves with their bottom edges down, rather than on their backs. Now, I realize that means you have to crook your head to one side to read the name of the book on the spine.

But it's whatever works for you, of course.....

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention. Some of those early 1950's Gibsons bursts have a pretty sharp transition, not unlike that on your CEO7 (which I think is a really cool guitar).

Archived