Gibson Brands Forums

Meanwhile, over at the UMGF…the natives are restless…...

onewilyfool

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got Martin's "New Models" catalog for 2015,

& have to laugh every time I look at the CEO-8.

Guess what it says on the cover of the catalog?

(above a picture of the new 50th Anniversary D-35)

"Imitation is the highest form of flattery."

My other hobby is is airplanes and a similar thing happened in that world several years ago. The original Piper J3 Cubs were all yellow with a black stripe. They were no longer built after 1947 or so. Piper let the rights to the term "Cub" expire. In 2005 two companies started building Cub replicas to address the newly created Light Sport Aircraft category. One company got the drop on the other and trademarked the paint scheme as well as the name. There was a court case and they won. The other company has to pay royalties on every yellow cub they sell.

Rich

That Martin looks hideous enough I think i'd let them have their fun. I think it wouldn't hurt Henry to just laugh one off once in a while. If Gibson wasn't so litigious maybe the government wouldn't be on their case all the time. I mean, c'mon. I think Gibson owners should be suing Gibson for selling them guitars with laminated bridges. The one piece that connects all six strings to the soundboard, and they glued them up.

1426902274[/url]' post='1641967']

That Martin looks hideous enough I think i'd let them have their fun. I think it wouldn't hurt Henry to just laugh one off once in a while. If Gibson wasn't so litigious maybe the government wouldn't be on their case all the time. I mean, c'mon. I think Gibson owners should be suing Gibson for selling them guitars with laminated bridges. The one piece that connects all six strings to the soundboard, and they glued them up.

I like how you turned this around to somehow make it appear that Gibson is the one at fault here, that they should just layback and let Martin have their fun. The laminated bridges ship has sailed. Discussed ad nauseam here years ago. I don't think there were any lawsuits. Suggesting Gibson somehow deserved to be raided by armed Fish and Wildlife agents and have their valuable wood inventory seized because of a very gray area has also been discussed here ad nauseam.

I took the link to the UMGF and read that before I saw the pictures. I was trying to visualize the Martin. Wow! I find it hard to believe Martin even put their name on that hideous looking guitar. If I was Gibson not sure I would stop that one from production. Reminds me of the "lawsuit" guitars from the 70s. Is this an inside joke I don't understand?

I'm disappointed. I was thinking that maybe if they made a couple hundred of those, someone at Martin might learn how to do a decent burst.

P

LOL. Martins bursts sometimes leave a lot to be desired. They range from OK to really poor looking. Gibson bursts are much more consistent IMO.

The poor bursts really set off Martin's Gibsonesque CEO models -

CEO-4 . (the original clown burst) -

$_57.JPG

CEO-6 . clown burst sequel (with the Gibsonesque logo script) -

CEO-6-Sunburst_x.jpg

CEO-7 . with a decent burst -

CEO-7_x.jpg

CEO-8 . back to the clown burst -

MARTCSJ_front.jpg

Archived