Gibson Brands Forums

Ok im getting slightly worried now

Rabs

I am just finding Gisbons direction these days more and more baffling...

Its not the fact they have done this.. Nothing wrong with some one offs for publicity.... BUT its Henry's comments at the end... I just think the more they diversify the more diluted the brand will become...

Time will tell I guess.

coronet_2015_zpsgcujwxjj.jpg

Gibson Brands has announced the inaugural collaboration between world-class jewelry designer Aaron Shum, founder of CORONET® and celebrated musician and designer Mark Lui in the design of the truly exquisite “Eden of CORONET®”, a Diamond Gibson Guitar masterpiece. The showpiece was first revealed at Hall 1 of Baselworld 2015, Switzerland and is estimated to be worth USD$2 million with a shot at setting a Guinness World record for “Most Valuable Guitar”.

Chairman and CEO of Gibson Brands, Henry Juszkiewicz stated, “The masterpiece is a joint effort of three distinct brands. The creativity comes from the process of blending ideas and cultures from different industries, which further solidifies Gibson beyond just a guitar brand. All along we’ve been striving to expand our business to different sectors of the consumer market and ‘Eden of CORONET®’ is definitely an important milestone for what we target to achieve"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The press release when they bought a controlling interest in Teac/TASCAM said that they intended to become the single largest consumer music products retailer on the planet.

They should pay me for their new mission statement: It's Just A Guitar.

rct

The press release when they bought a controlling interest in Teac/TASCAM said that they intended to become the single largest consumer music products retailer on the planet.

They should pay me for their new mission statement: It's Just A Guitar.

rct

Lol.. yeah that's about right...

From.. Only a Gibson is good enough..... to.. Its just a guitar, get over it...

[rolleyes]

Dont get me wrong.. Im not the bringer of doom or anything..

Why it worries me is that ive seen companies that were doing well then expand, then overstretch themselves... and then comes the worrying part, the cost cutting....

Ive seen it happen several times before... I don't want this to happen to Gibson. I hope they are smarter than that.

I've got all the guitars I'm ever going to buy from gibson, so I don't care if he sinks it.

Henry is just a d!ck.

JMPO

as much as i dislike him, henry j is a pretty good businessman, and is good for gibson. i know alot of throwbacks keep clamoring for vintage style instruments, but that's just flat out stupid. you don't see auto enthusiasts clamoring for ford to bring back the model T, but guitar players everywhere line up to over pay for old worn out technology and mythology. queue the guys who bought $3500 LPs that are no better than $700 guitars wearing other labels in 3-2-1.....

They should have let Damien Hirst 'design' it.

"Truly exquisite"......? Er....not IMO.

Notice the 2 different headstocks?

Blingggg!!!

And the lack of binding on one neck.

Awful looking thing; would have thought suck tackiness would hurt publicity ratings...

I've been more than slightly worried for some time now.

From a 2014 interview which is right around the time their line up started to shift away from what they made since the late 1950s:

http://www.billboard...ds-on-surviving

What inspired you to take over the former Tower Records location?

One objective was to show that we're not really a guitar company anymore: We're a music company with a lot of different assets, many of which are in the consumer electronics field. This is a dream I've had for an experience store not unlike what Nike does in their field. Their stores demonstrate their products but are also learning centers for consumers.

as much as i dislike him, henry j is a pretty good businessman, and is good for gibson. i know alot of throwbacks keep clamoring for vintage style instruments, but that's just flat out stupid. you don't see auto enthusiasts clamoring for ford to bring back the model T, but guitar players everywhere line up to over pay for old worn out technology and mythology. queue the guys who bought $3500 LPs that are no better than $700 guitars wearing other labels in 3-2-1.....

I both agree and disagree with different parts of this. While Gibson prices may be a bit inflated, there is a difference between a Gibson and an Epiphone or other $700 guitar brands... I own both and can compare them side by side. Gibson has the edge, but like most things it's subjective.

I do think he's a good business man. Yes it's out-there and a risk. But I can see how what he's trying to couple, at least with this one, is making a product that is more than a guitar, it becomes an investment. Diamonds aren't going to lose their value over time, and so far neither is a Gibson... He is marketing a viable option product to those looking to invest money away from paper "assets" and have some thing tangible they can keep in their private homes/collections instead of on paper or on computer. The government's proclivity to find a way to tax paper assets in new ways to simply redistribute that wealth arbitrarily can be protected by hard physical items one can keep in their homes and once the sales tax, or lack thereof, is paid depending upon the locale, it is simply free from tax schemes of an over-reaching government looking to confiscate the wealth of others for it's own financing...

Clearly I think the partners he appears to be teaming up with are on the same page...

In this instance I think RCT's got it wrong... It ain't just a guitar... It's got alot more depth. The service it provides has nothing to do with music and it ain't about a working man's tool of the trade. It will provide Gibson with their own strength of wealth in an ever increasingly dangerous environment of the fascism governments are capable of that Gibson has seen first-hand, and this is a way to insure oneself against such things for both the investors and Gibson for being the profiteer of the investment to shore-up their own financial strength so they can continue what might be a money loser often of guitar making, vintage guitar reproducing, and musical tool proliferation...

I think it's the move of a visionary that is taking the big picture into account and making sure Gibson can withstand future fascist onslaughts by the hands of administrations with the proclivity of being as corrupt as the one that has already assaulted Gibson for political purpose.

I think it's a great move in those terms...

In that context I agree that Henry's a pretty good business man!

.....and a gigbag at least, for that sort of money......

There is no suitable punishment, no torture prolonged enough, no method of pulling out fingernails with a Leatherman slow enough, no molten lead hot enough, no chlamydia burny enough to repay the person who first thought it would be a good idea to put a Gibson in a gig bag.

I both agree and disagree with different parts of this. While Gibson prices may be a bit inflated, there is a difference between a Gibson and an Epiphone or other $700 guitar brands... I own both and can compare them side by side. Gibson has the edge, but like most things it's subjective.

I do think he's a good business man. Yes it's out-there and a risk. But I can see how what he's trying to couple, at least with this one, is making a product that is more than a guitar, it becomes an investment. Diamonds aren't going to lose their value over time, and so far neither is a Gibson... He is marketing a viable option product to those looking to invest money away from paper "assets" and have some thing tangible they can keep in their private homes/collections instead of on paper or on computer. The government's proclivity to find a way to tax paper assets in new ways to simply redistribute that wealth arbitrarily can be protected by hard physical items one can keep in their homes and once the sales tax, or lack thereof, is paid depending upon the locale, it is simply free from tax schemes of an over-reaching government looking to confiscate the wealth of others for it's own financing...

Clearly I think the partners he appears to be teaming up with are on the same page...

In this instance I think RCT's got it wrong... It ain't just a guitar... It's got alot more depth. The service it provides has nothing to do with music and it ain't about a working man's tool of the trade. It will provide Gibson with their own strength of wealth in an ever increasingly dangerous environment of the fascism governments are capable of that Gibson has seen first-hand, and this is a way to insure oneself against such things for both the investors and Gibson for being the profiteer of the investment to shore-up their own financial strength so they can continue what might be a money loser often of guitar making, vintage guitar reproducing, and musical tool proliferation...

I think it's the move of a visionary that is taking the big picture into account and making sure Gibson can withstand future fascist onslaughts by the hands of administrations with the proclivity of being as corrupt as the one that has already assaulted Gibson for political purpose.

I think it's a great move in those terms...

In that context I agree that Henry's a pretty good business man!

From a player's - not a poser's - view, this instrument very probably is less of a guitar. I would like diamonds and guitars being strictly apart. Finally, because diamonds are flammable just like paper, I would prefer precious metals.

Every asset will one day become subject to tax evaluation, if you live to see it or not.

And finally, the assaults against Gibson may have been induced just the other way round. Businessmen whose friends are businessmen don't need enemies anymore.

There is no suitable punishment, no torture prolonged enough, no method of pulling out fingernails with a Leatherman slow enough, no molten lead hot enough, no chlamydia burny enough to repay the person who first thought it would be a good idea to put a Gibson in a gig bag.

Agree on principal, but this particular person may still be on Gibson's payroll. [unsure]

<br />I've got all the guitars I'm ever going to buy from gibson, so I don't care if he sinks it.<br />Henry is just a d!ck.<br />JMPO<br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

and once again, MP splits the arrow. Bullseye buddy... agreed.

I am just finding Gisbons direction these days more and more baffling...

Its not the fact they have done this.. Nothing wrong with some one offs for publicity.... BUT its Henry's comments at the end... I just think the more they diversify the more diluted the brand will become...

Time will tell I guess.

coronet_2015_zpsgcujwxjj.jpg

Gibson Brands has announced the inaugural collaboration between world-class jewelry designer Aaron Shum, founder of CORONET® and celebrated musician and designer Mark Lui in the design of the truly exquisite "Eden of CORONET®", a Diamond Gibson Guitar masterpiece. The showpiece was first revealed at Hall 1 of Baselworld 2015, Switzerland and is estimated to be worth USD$2 million with a shot at setting a Guinness World record for "Most Valuable Guitar".

Chairman and CEO of Gibson Brands, Henry Juszkiewicz stated, "The masterpiece is a joint effort of three distinct brands. The creativity comes from the process of blending ideas and cultures from different industries, which further solidifies Gibson beyond just a guitar brand. All along we've been striving to expand our business to different sectors of the consumer market and 'Eden of CORONET®' is definitely an important milestone for what we target to achieve"

it's the Liberace of guitars.......................................................................................................................... "not that theres anything wrong with that" (Seinfeld reference)

Archived