Gibson Brands Forums

Country Music...

KSG_Standard

I know that many, if not most of us like our rock and blues. But who doesn't like at least a couple of country tunes or artists? Don't be afraid to admit it. I'm a big fan of The Kentucky Headhunters and Dwight Yoakum (especially when Pete Anderson played with him) as well as a few others in the genre. What are some of ya'lls favorites.

I've always been a fan of Johnny Cash, but primarily metal/rock. My wife is "countryfied", and talked me into going to see Sugarland. I was dreading the experience, but much to my surprise, found them to be a really good new country? band and actually liked alot of the tunes they performed. I guess catchy would be a good definition of thier music.

I like some of the old school guys - waylon, charlie daniels, chet atkins, jerry reed and stuff like that.

But, I think without a doubt the hottest picker in country music right now is Brad Paisley.

I would have also included Brent Mason, but he is a gun for hire studio musician so he may not be only country, but man what great picker!

Yep... love that twangy stuff, too. But in all fairness, I grew up amongst the country music folks, so I developed a pretty broad taste for it. It would be a lot easier to name the folks I don't care for that much....

How about some of the folks that are now considered country (Kid Rock???)... or some of the songs that are now being played as country ("All Summer Long"; "Life is a Highway")?

Merle Haggard's lead guitar player hit a lot of weird, sort of dissonant bends that I love... and pedal steel never gets old with me! Junior Brown, Buck Owens, George Jones, Hank III, Marty Robbins... aw man too many to list! Motorhead was my first musical fascination when I inherited my sis's "No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith" record -- since then my tastes have been all over the map. I've probably played in almost as many country bands as not. I never did get very good on pedal steel tho

In my honest opinion, you really can't get more rock & roll than Waylon Jennings. If you aren't familiar with his life and his music, do yourself a favor and read up on him. I believe that he was one of the true pioneers of American music because he took a stand and did things the way he wanted to. He didn't listen to the establishment and in the process changed music forever. There isn't anything more rock & roll than that.

God bless Waylon Jennings!!!

Growing up I never cared all that much for Country (Hank Snow, Earnest Tubb, etc were big then).

But after playing Telecasters a few years I had to admit that Country brought a lot to the party.

I like Brad Paisley on guitar, but he makes me very jealous so I hate him too.

That should be ME, up there, playin' those fine licks an' singin'...

I know that many' date=' if not most of us like our rock and blues. But who doesn't like at least a couple of country tunes or artists? Don't be afraid to admit it. I'm a big fan of The Kentucky Headhunters and Dwight Yoakum (especially when Pete Anderson played with him) as well as a few others in the genre. What are some of ya'lls favorites.[/quote']

Hell yeah, Dwight can sing! And Pete can Play! Love "Long White Cadillac," "Honkey Tonk Man," and "Blame".

Love to listen to Merle, Johny, Alan, Buck and Willie.

Nothing wrong it at all. Carrie Underwood is hot, hot, Hot!

Randy Travis, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw.

And I like Ray Wylie Hubbard, you "Redneck Mother"

townes van zandt

gram parsons and the flying burrito brothers

There ya go! Throw in Guy Clark and John Prine and you've got my favorite countryish singer/songwriters.

I was seriously hooked on the alt.country for a while too... Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Wilco, The Bottlerockets, Blue Mountain, Whiskeytown, etc

Big fan of Pete and Dwight, Don and Buck, Paisley is fast, but he gets annoying, his tone is so "choked", you know, that Tele/Strat thing.

I also loved the first "Tractors" cd. Never checked out any other ones though.

I also really enjoy Bluegrass. THAT is where the fast pickers work. Some of those guys are freaky fast, and on acoustic instruments to boot...

Best to ya.

Murph.

Archived