Gibson Brands Forums

Who here owns a Fender (BAD GUYS)

4Hayden

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps more like a Hit List :blink: :mellow: [scared][smile]

When I started the thread I just wondered f anyone else owned a Strat or Tele , had no idea everyone did.

Iguesss we all just like music , that's what counts

4H

I do own a Fender.

In my heart, I will always be a Gibson fan first and foremost.

My first proper guitar (back when I was in a garage band in the 1970's) was a 1971-ish Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold-top.

(Played thru a Fender Twin Reverb.)

Sadly, I sold the entire rig when I went into the Army.

What a dummy.

Years later I owned a black 1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio.

I sold it just a few years ago because I needed the cash, and because it was just a bit too heavy for me to play very often.

That, and the gold hardware and pickup covers no long appealed to me.

I have come to realize that I like naked pickups a lot better.

My latest Gibson is a 2001 Les Paul Studio Copper Top.

I love it dearly, and it feels just a bit lighter than my last Paul.

Not sure why, but it is more comfortable to play for long sets than the last one.

My Fender (aside from my Fender 212R amplifier, and my old Fender 1x8 practice amp) is a Modern Player Telecaster Plus.

GREAT axe.

Neck plays like butter, and I use it for songs that require that Telecaster spank.

And oddly enough, I use it on ELO songs and on Led Zeppelin song, live.

Here is that guitar on stage.

post-72390-015259800 1434455768_thumb.jpg

I can see how it would be possible to pass up Fender's guitars. I only own one at this point, an Eric Johnson Stratocaster that's never leaving, (although I've owned many others and have two boutique telecaster builds), but doubt I'd ever not have one of more Fender amps in the studio. Fender amps are the source Marshall and Mesa came from. I'm not saying just for "vintage" either. I own a 1984 Fender Concert, (Rivera era / last point to point hand wired production amp Fender built), that I upgraded with much better NOS tubes and swapped out the "special design" Fender, (Eminence), speaker for a Celestion G12H-75 Creamback. This is my "go to" amp for modern hard rock and metal. It's a monster.

• 3 months later...

Due to being hospitalized then, I obviously overlooked this topic... [blush]

Half of my guitars and basses are Gibson instruments, and at a safe distance Fender is by numbers my number two brand.

Here are my Fenders:

American Deluxe Telecaster Ash, MIJ '65 Mustang Bass, MII FMT Telecaster Custom HH:

IMG_1457_zpswmb0qad3.jpg

Three MIM Nashville Power Telecasters, from left to right Two-Tone Sunburst stock, Black stock but about to being noiseless modded, and Two-Tone Sunburst 60th Anniversary N3 Noiseless modded:

IMG_1452_zpswjzaietn.jpg

The right, N3 Noiseless modded one has, other than the three-pieced left one, a two-piece body and came stock with this Telecaster Anniversary neck plate:

IMG_1451_zpsgoskut0y.jpg

Four heavily modded MIM Floyd Rose Stratocasters, all of them originally HSS equipped, from left to right: Lake Placid Blue Standard with N3 Noiseless and Schaller FR I 370 CR, Brown Sunburst Standard with Samarium Cobalt Noiseless and Schaller FR I 370 CR, Aged Cherry Burst Plustop with Samarium Cobalt Noiseless, Graph Tech Ghost piezo FR and active Acousti-Phonic circuit, and finally Candy Apple Red Standard with Vintage Noiseless, Graph Tech Ghost piezo FR and active Acousti-Phonic circuit:

IMG_1467_zpsns5grjkj.jpg

The eight rosewood fretboards of my Fenders are fine in general, but those of the Lake Placid Blue and Brown Sunburst Standard Strats are absolutely terrifying. Their exceptionally fine grain and closed pores give them a touch like ebony, and that of the Brown Sunburst Strat even looks close to ebony. It is by far the darkest of the twenty-three rosewood necks of mine of which eleven are Gibsons.

Due to being hospitalized then, I obviously overlooked this topic... [blush]

Half of my guitars and basses are Gibson instruments, and at a safe distance Fender is by numbers my number two brand.

Here are my Fenders:

American Deluxe Telecaster Ash, MIJ '65 Mustang Bass, MII FMT Telecaster Custom HH:

IMG_1457_zpswmb0qad3.jpg

Three MIM Nashville Power Telecasters, from left to right Two-Tone Sunburst stock, Black stock but about to being noiseless modded, and Two-Tone Sunburst 60th Anniversary N3 Noiseless modded:

IMG_1452_zpswjzaietn.jpg

The right, N3 Noiseless modded one has, other than the three-pieced left one, a two-piece body and came stock with this Telecaster Anniversary neck plate:

IMG_1451_zpsgoskut0y.jpg

Four heavily modded MIM Floyd Rose Stratocasters, all of them originally HSS equipped, from left to right: Lake Placid Blue Standard with N3 Noiseless and Schaller FR I 370 CR, Brown Sunburst Standard with Samarium Cobalt Noiseless and Schaller FR I 370 CR, Aged Cherry Burst Plustop with Samarium Cobalt Noiseless, Graph Tech Ghost piezo FR and active Acousti-Phonic circuit, and finally Candy Apple Red Standard with Vintage Noiseless, Graph Tech Ghost piezo FR and active Acousti-Phonic circuit:

IMG_1467_zpsns5grjkj.jpg

The eight rosewood fretboards of my Fenders are fine in general, but those of the Lake Placid Blue and Brown Sunburst Standard Strats are absolutely terrifying. Their exceptionally fine grain and closed pores give them a touch like ebony, and that of the Brown Sunburst Strat even looks close to ebony. It is by far the darkest of the twenty-three rosewood necks of mine of which eleven are Gibsons.

My 60th anniversary American telecaster is my favorite Fender

4H

Lots of Forum member own nice Fenders.

Fenders I still own:

1967 Telecaster, I bought new in 1967

2011 American Deluxe Tele

Twin Reverb Reissue

Deluxe Reveb Reissue

Band Master VM

Acustasonic SFXII

Fenders I no longer own:

American Strat

American Deluxe Strat

Blues Jr. NOS

Blues Jr. Limited Edition

Acoustasonic Jr.

Frontman 212

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few Fender guitars; probably as many as I have Gibson guitars.

The tele has been a work horse of mine for 30 plus years.

76 Strat 3 tone sunburst ( bought this one in 1980, from some kid in my home town)

57 RI Strat 2 tone sunburst( 1985 made at the Fullerton plant)

62 Strat cherry red rosewood neck( mid 80's)

AmericaStrat w Lace Sensors ( made a great inexpensive bar gigger)

52 RI Tele (1983)

62 RI Tele 3 tone sunburst (1985 my only made in Japan Fender)

American Jazz standard ( late 80's purchase)

American Jazz Deluxe ( this one might be 15 years old, and after getting it I sold my P bass. w active electronics it does it all, almost)

I have a few Fender amps too

Twin Reverb 1983 push/pull master volume( sold my Musicman 2x10 65 combo and bought this one. Cost me 125 bucks new, plus the trade of the MM amp)

65 Deluxe RI

65 Princeton RI

Blues Junior tweed Limited

Over the past few years I have purchased a few Fender /Gretsch's , MIJ, but they are really nice.

TennesseeRose (Hi Filterons, with bigsby)

Power Jet (The TV Jones pups killer awesome with bigsby)

I might have pics of this stuff later down the road.

If I get another guitar, I have a few small body guitars on my list, Maybe a Gibson L-00 and a Martin 00028, I like my other small body Martins.

• 2 weeks later...

I owned a 1999 American Std .Stat that I made all kinds of modifications to, including several sets of DiMarzio pickups. I could never really bond with it, as much for its sound as with its neck.

3ec91442-0cf6-47ab-8f91-a5f19bd44eb3_zps04aba3c4.jpg

Around 2009, I traded away a 1996 LP Studio even for this 2007 American Standard Tele. It had already been modded with this DiMarzio Tone Zone T split coil hum bucking pickup, which I like. This is my only remaining solid body guitar.

Tele2_zps2442769b.jpg

I owned a 1999 American Strat that I made all kinds of modifications to, including several sets of DiMarzio pickups. I could never really bond with it, as much for its sound as with its neck.

3ec91442-0cf6-47ab-8f91-a5f19bd44eb3_zps04aba3c4.jpg

Around 2009, I traded away a 1996 LP Studio even for this 2007 American Standard Tele. It had already been modded with this DiMarzio Tone Zone T split coil hum bucking pickup, which I like. This is my only remaining solid body guitar.

Tele2_zps2442769b.jpg

Those telecasters have a sound all of their own

4H

Gosh, I feel embarrassed. After looking at all these fine instruments, and so many from individuals, I only have One Fender! msp_scared.gif Nothing like these beauties here. It's a cheap $100.00 FA-135CE acoustic. All black except a laminated wood front. And black pick guard. Serves me fine though as a practice guitar and it can be played electric. Sounds fine, not like the martins or anything but it never goes out of tune. I like that.mellow.gif

Archived