Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Passion?

charlie brown

...Classical music is what gives credence to all of my favorite players like Al DiMeola. Impossible to skip over Jimmy Page and great riffs like Ten Years Gone. Fur Elise may be a signature classical piece, but my interests veered heavily towards soundtracks for movies, themes as foundations that lead me to wonderful composers like Zbigniew Preisner, and Vangelis...

Hello James!

Indeed! I can't wait to see Al DiMeola in Budapest this September. He comes here often, but I always missed it somehow. This time, I won't.

Speaking of movie soundtracks, I like Henry Mancini, and Lalo Schifrin. Mind-blowing funky guitar parts can be heard in many of their compositions. I am also a big fan of Ennio Morricone's music. Especially, of His French movie soundtracks, like "Le Marginal", "Le Professionnel". Not that many guitar tracks in these, but wonderful melodies instead.

Best wishes... Bence

I'm 62, and grew up with mom's 50's music, still love some of that. The 60's and 70's and the British Invasion did it for me. Some favorites are: Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Crosby Stills Nash but I like even more. Will listen to Zazz, some country, but I would love to learn to play Blues! I love listening to Gregor Hilden and other fine Blues artists. My cousin who played in a band started me playing guitar with the Ventures. Forgot how to play much of that though.

I have always loved listening to and playing just about any form or genre of music out there. But I always seem to keep grounded in the hard rock/blues rock stuff. The great thing about "rock" music is that it's very broad and can incorporate styles of other more pure forms of music like jazz, classical and country.

I was about 6 years old when, on a Sunday night, Mom was watching an entertainment show. I don't think it was Ed Sullivan, but I really don't know. There was a man and a woman singing together- they guy was playing an electric guitar. From that moment, I was 'hooked'!

I believe the duo was Les Paul and Mary Ford but again, not sure. Mom was killed in '68, and I never asked her. But she started to 'turn me on' to all kinds of guitar based music after I expressed my interest; Ventures, Kingston Trio, and then another fateful Sunday, this time I'm sure it as Ed Sullivan. Mom said "Pay attention to this. These guys are going to be big". Understatement- the Beatles.

I wanted to play since then- but the old man thought the guitar was an instrument of the devil. It didn't help my Uncle Watson (Watts) Clarke (Mom's side) was a jazz guitarist, and Dad hated him.

Got an old Stella acoustic about age 8. The action was so high a small car could fit between the strings and fretboard. But the Ventures had an instructional 33 "LP" album with "Walk Don't Run, Tequila etc on it. about 1964 or 1965. I wore that album out!

My passion is writing songs- I love jazz / blues / classic rock. The song that really sent me over the top guitar wise, was "The Last Time" by the Rolling Stones. Mom and I blasted that song many a day when Dad wasn't around!

Like Kidblast said (we are about the same age)we grew up in the greatest time for guitar-based music ever; there are too many bands / artists to mention- but Traffic, Deep Purple, Hendrix, Neil Young and Santana are in my top "10". Early Steeley Dan guitarists were great IMO and today Joe Bonamassa and Warren Haynes inspire me.

Brian

Blues!

Circa 1983 or 1984 or so; a bootleg recording on cassette of John Mayall's Blues Breakers featuring Eric Clapton doing their version of "Steppin' Out" set the whole thing in motion for me!

I found the destination of my whole music sojourn when I discovered that song...

It has led me to see and even meet many of the pioneers & originators; Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Hubert Sumlin, and many many more...

Culminating in my obsession with British Blues guitar...

I'll be 70 at the end of this year, and my first recollection of wanting to play music was while watching a young Elvis Presley of Milton Berle. Little did I know at the time that it was Scotty Moore making that wonderful sound. Not too much later I was hooked on the Ventures and Lonnie Mack. Certain songs rather than artists or bands always appealed to me. I love 98% of the Beatles and have since turned to "classic" country from the 60s thru the '80s. Not bad considering I started out on a 29 cent plastic ukulele in 1957.

For listening: Symphonic (Especially symphonies by Eastern Europeans and Russians - the darker and moodier, the better)

What got me started? Playing in school band and doing pieces like Dvorak's "New World Symphony"

For playing: That's a tough one. I love playing blues, rock, jazz, salsa, caribbean, and other genres. It's so much fun to get my head into a different kind of music. If I had to choose only one, I'd probably pick blues.

What got me started? I don't know what song, but when I was a little kid I had records by people like Huey Smith, Bobby Bland, Ray Charles (when he was doing blues on the ABC Paramount label), and a few others.

Classical and Jazz feed my head but the blues feeds my soul.

Notes

I need to correct.

Music is my passion.

Asking for a favorite kind of music, is like asking for a favorite kind of food.

Steak is great, but so is pizza, codfish, cheddar cheese, bacon, hamburgers, lasagna, gnocchi, shrimp, nutmeat (of all kinds), and so on.

Picking one kind of music to play would be like saying, if you had to choose between American, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Argentine, German, Polish, Hungarian, English, French, or any other cuisine to restrict yourself to for the rest of your life, which would you choose?

Difficult choice.

Same for music for me.

Insights and incites by Notes

I need to correct.

Music is my passion.

Asking for a favorite kind of music, is like asking for a favorite kind of food.

Steak is great, but so is pizza, codfish, cheddar cheese, bacon, hamburgers, lasagna, gnocchi, shrimp, nutmeat (of all kinds), and so on.

Picking one kind of music to play would be like saying, if you had to choose between American, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Argentine, German, Polish, Hungarian, English, French, or any other cuisine to restrict yourself to for the rest of your life, which would you choose?

Difficult choice.

Same for music for me.

Insights and incites by Notes

Well, I think we all feel that way, about music, generally! I was just curious, as to what type one seems to gravitate towards, or always

come back to, consistently. That's all. About the only "music" I don't care for is RAP! It's just not my "cup of tea," at all.

But, that's about the only genre I don't care for.

CB

I'd call it Pop progressive rock and 70's rock, ethereal guitar music. I like the more commercial Pink Floyd, (Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall) Yes, Santana, and Clapton. I keep coming back to David Gilmour's guitar work on Comfortably Numb, God I love his playing on that.

Archived