Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Hummingbird Vintage

Joe M

I had a 2012 HBTV and foolishly sold it. Regretted it as soon as I got back home. Visited one of my local Gibby dealers today and he had a brand new HB Vintage hanging on the wall. I had never played any guitar with the torrified top before and with one strum, I was hooked. Played it for a while, hung it back up and went and looked at other guitars. Owner stopped by to talk and I told him how much I liked the guitar. Of course I wasn't looking to buy anything on this visit but he cut me such a unbelievable deal I couldn't refuse, so it came home with me. I really liked my TV but this guitar is head and shoulders sound-wise above the TV. Gibson seems to have even done something to the neck to make the guitar feel and play better. I even like the sound with the Masterbuilt strings that are on it. Action is a touch high for me, but the shop has a policy that they'll set up the guitar any way you like after it's been played in for a while. Free, of course.

i know, it didn't happen without pics, I'm working on that. Hopefully I can get something posted in the next day or two.

Gotta go play now...... [thumbup]

The only current "Vintage" I have played was the J-45 Vintage. I'm with you. What a great guitar that was - I could't buy it because it really hadn't been rolled out yet - got to play it as a special treat early in the year.If your Hu8mmingbird is as good as that was, holy moly, what a winner ! Congrats !

Gibson seems to have even done something to the neck to make the guitar feel and play better.

Gotta go play now...... [thumbup]

They're Plek-ing the necks this year so that's probably what you're noticing. If you had it done after-market it would cost you 200 to 300 bucks.

Congrats on your new guitar and I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Actually, why don't you shoot us a vid instead?

FMA

Hi Joe:

Congrats on the new HB vintage. I also have one , in fact I just picked it up today from GC. I am so pleased with how she sounds ! There is an issue with a tiny hairline crack ( about 1/4 inch ) in the pick-guard BUT the manager said he is ordering me another one. I only hope the replacement sounds as good !.

Enjoy

FL Joan

I agree - that burst is perfect. I read somewhere (possibly here) several authorities on acoustics were polled and voted the H'Bird as the most attractive and representative in terms of appearance - of the modern guitar.

JoeM - is Gibson replacing the guitar, or sending a replacement for the pick guard? Hopefully, the latter. Congrats!!

Amber, Tobacco, Honey, Nectar, Cherry, Bourbon, Sunset... what other adjectives have been applied to the variations on the Hummingbird Bursts?

Guys, and gal, thanks for all the kind words. Hard to believe, but this guitar sounds and plays better than it looks. Plus, like I said, it still has just the out-of-the-box setup. It truly has that Gibson thump that everyone talks about. In fact, if I hit the low E, it's as big as deep as the E on my SJ200. I don't think I have ever played any guitar that sounds like this one does and I've played just a few in over 50 years of playing guitar.

Fortyearspickn, it wasn't mine that has the crack in the pickguard, it was FLJoan. I wondered what she meant also, is she getting a new guard or a new guitar??

EA, I agree with modoc_333, as great as my HBTV sounded, this one is better. I have never felt this way about any guitar I've ever played, this one is NEVER going anywhere. And for me, who loves to flip guitars, that's saying a lot.

Thanks again for all the good words....

Archived