Gibson Brands Forums

Egyptian customs defaces Bryan Adams' 1957 D-18

BigKahune

Yet another airport debacle -

"The staff allegedly scrawled on the instruments with green indelible marker, including his prized vintage guitar – a 1957 Martin D-18 worth thousands of dollars." The singer told NBC: "It was some kind of customs clearance identification. The problem is, it's a vintage guitar from 1957 and the outside of old instrument is fragile. The instruments were all marked – even my harmonicas! So silly."

Source - http://www.teamrock.com/news/2016-03-11/egyptian-customs-deface-bryan-adams-guitar

BryanAdamsMartin_zpsl590dbcx.jpg

"The staff allegedly scrawled on the instruments with green indelible marker, including his prized vintage guitar – a 1957 Martin D-18 worth thousands of dollars."....

Yow. Well, I guess they don't have a good record of keeping restored their own "vintage items" over there.... ](*,)

Basically expresses a lame lack of culture.

That said, it's not the worst tag on earth. Okay, green is my favourite colour so a bit large here, but there is an artistic dimension to the meeting.

I would carefully remove it with naphtha - still keep a vague trace of the scribble (the 3 spots on the heel).

Like a little extra evidence of history, U know. .

Seems you, and you alone, take your chances when you leave "the home of the free, and the home of the brave". I feel no sorrow for you whatsoever. You chose this pathway, now face up to it!

I think it says 'don't even think about singing everything I do I do for you'

Yeah, serves him right for leaving his country 😐

Ye gods

I don't understand the "leaving your country" stuff. What exactly is wrong with traveling?

Am I missing something here?

Yet another airport debacle -

"The staff allegedly scrawled on the instruments with green indelible marker, including his prized vintage guitar – a 1957 Martin D-18 worth thousands of dollars." The singer told NBC: "It was some kind of customs clearance identification. The problem is, it's a vintage guitar from 1957 and the outside of old instrument is fragile. The instruments were all marked – even my harmonicas! So silly."

Source - http://www.teamrock.com/news/2016-03-11/egyptian-customs-deface-bryan-adams-guitar

BryanAdamsMartin_zpsl590dbcx.jpg

The cops had a PR thing to stop pushbikes being nicked and you took your bike to the motor garage they advertised and the nice officer scrawled a very siimilar thing on your bike! I don' think the theives wanted it anymore. Could be useful for identifying your stolen guitar, or deterring the thieves.

BluesKing777.

1957 ain't that vintage over there.

Hahe,, , eeey wait a minute - don't know whether to laugh, elaborate seriously or cry over this post.

Just wait till they get one of their ancient clay-vases tagged with a fluorescent green marker - then reality will dawn.

Nooooo, , , let's not turn this into a cultural wrestle match. Please, , , just get that naphtha !

Seems you, and you alone, take your chances when you leave "the home of the free, and the home of the brave". I feel no sorrow for you whatsoever. You chose this pathway, now face up to it!

Deleted post

irrelevant to the topic at hand

Archived