Gibson Brands Forums

How do you organize your "sheet" music?

sbpark

I'm looking for ways to organize lyrics, chord charts, etc. for a bunch of covers I've been learning over the last year or so since talking up the challenge of singing, and eventually playing out at an open mic. Looking for suggestions and info on how you guys store/organize/catalogue your sheet music. Are you old school and keep it in a folder, binder, etc.? Or do you keep evening on your laptop, iPad, tablet, or other storage device? Do you have a particular app or program you use that you really like for this that easily allows you to transfer the lyrics with chords written above the lyrics in a similar format as you see online? Thanks in advance!

I store the chords, lyrics, etc. in standard documents (MS Word) and the mp3 file of the song in Anytune. Anytune is a program that will slow down and speed up tempo with no change in pitch and also changes pitch if you want to practice that way. Since I am now officially a senior, I like to sing 1/2 step down in key.

Geez. I reckon I'm very old school. I've got spiral notebooks, manila folders and odd piles of paper laying about here and there. And there's a mess that just keeps falling off the cheesy music stand............ I'm hopeless.

Yep, this is kind of where I am now, and want to get more organized. I have a bunch of loose papers strewn around or in a manilla folder. Drives me nuts!

I use "pocket" folders, so the songs can be put in order for any play list.

In big bands and orchestras where everyone is reading the music for the same song, each song receives a number. The songs are then called out by number not title. Pro bands, which are playing a predetermined set list, also use pocket folders for storage/transport of the "book" for each "chair". Again, the current program can be easily pulled and ordered appropriately.

I have played in a couple of "community" big bands that will call the next song on the fly. They used three-ring binders (still with song NUMBERS) so when the director calls song #73, you just flip the binder to that spot.

For my personal library, and less formal gatherings/ensembles, I prefer the pocket folder system.

My wife stores her music "in the cloud" or on her ipad by song, in alphabetical order. Then she pulls them up on her standard sized ipad, the mini being too small for most playing out situations.. They make stands and holders to hold the ipad in any configuration one needs. They even make a Bluetooth device that will change pages hands free with the flick of one's foot (for those songs that require more than one page). She has hundreds of songs thus stored that would take up several large binders . A new age solution to an age old problem. A superior solution I must say .... but don't tell my wife that I admitted it

Me, I'm old school or no school. I have one binder with my current "most played" songs. The other songs from the past 50 years are scattered all over this house.

I use an I pad with the onSong app.

Check it out ! You can have every song easy to get to .you make "books" and You can make set lists it scrolls and with air turn peddle you can turn pages if your playing with others that have an iOS

With the app you can send chord sheets easy peasy I love it.n [tongue]

For many years I carried a 3-ring binder that got bigger and bigger. I'd print-off the songs from my computer, then add them to the binder. I don't know how many times the binder fell off the music stand or the wind turned the pages on me, but I know it happened a lot. Anyway, my wife talked me into getting an IPad, arguing that I had to "keep up with the times." I've now got all of my songs on an IPad Pro and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made in regards to my music. I've got all my songs in alphabetical order. Easy to find and display them if I need the lyrics while I'm playing.

Chaos theory - a lifetime of varying formats - loose pages, books, folders, plastic inserts, iPad...

but soon musos might have these - glasses with a HUD for music/lyrics/charts/chords like the iPad.

Bike rider version - military probably have some more sophisticated types:

http://www.coolthings.com/everysight-raptor-hud-cycling-smartglasses/

Google Glass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Glass

http://mashable.com/category/project-glass/

Probably easier to memorize everything! [biggrin]

I can never remember lyrics - especially Bob Dylan!!! Music memorized....

BluesKing777.

Two three ring binders,

one with tonights setlist order of songs

the other is about a hundred others in alphabetical.

We call lots of audibles though.

I should also point out that AGF finds the use of written lyrics and/or chords "unprofessional". Tools.

rct

Two three ring binders,

one with tonights setlist order of songs

the other is about a hundred others in alphabetical.

We call lots of audibles though.

I should also point out that AGF finds the use of written lyrics and/or chords "unprofessional". Tools.

rct

What's AGF? And regardless of whatever AGF is, who cares what they consider unprofessional? Ha!

What's AGF? And regardless of whatever AGF is, who cares what they consider unprofessional? Ha!

Acoustic Guitar Forum.

It should be called Acoustic Owners Forum, that's pretty much what they do, own them. Pet them. Stare at them. That sorta thing.

rct

Acoustic Guitar Forum.

It should be called Acoustic Owners Forum, that's pretty much what they do, own them. Pet them. Stare at them. That sorta thing.

rct

F-that place. Too many wound-way-too-tight, nerds who geek the heck out on the stupidest, most insignificant specs and details. I question if most of them actually PLAY their guitars, or do they just "collect" them and discuss them amongst each other? I get the impression the bulk of the members on that forum are the baby boomer, Hawaiian shirt wearing, "Cheeseburger in Paradise" playing types.

1468182677[/url]' post='1783567']

I store the chords, lyrics, etc. in standard documents (MS Word) and the mp3 file of the song in Anytune. Anytune is a program that will slow down and speed up tempo with no change in pitch and also changes pitch if you want to practice that way. Since I am now officially a senior, I like to sing 1/2 step down in key.

I gigged yesterday with modern tech for the first time . We had an iPad on a iPad clip holder on the mike stand using a sheet music program much the same as above . My friend has a foot controller for changing the pages , also no problems in bright sunlight . I think this looks more discreet than a music stand etc . The App Store has loads of programs for this operation, it's worth paying for a good one and storing all your library for easy access and they really do work in gig conditions

I gigged yesterday with modern tech for the first time . We had an iPad on a iPad clip holder on the mike stand using a sheet music program much the same as above . My friend has a foot controller for changing the pages , also no problems in bright sunlight . I think this looks more discreet than a music stand etc . The App Store has loads of programs for this operation, it's worth paying for a good one and storing all your library for easy access and they really do work in gig conditions

Now that's cool. I have to look into the foot controller. Also setlist is a pretty cool program for the iPad on a stand. Love the new technology. [thumbup]

Oh , and another tip

Write the lyrics out in stiffer than usual paper . Like a light card is good .

It stops them sliding about as much if you prop the folder on a music stand

I'm not anti technology and I use the iPad and phone as much as anyone , but writing the lyrics out helps lodge them in your head . And also , if you arrive at a gig and the iPad decides to break down the what are ya gonna do ? Pages and a folder is completely foolproof , which is what ya want

And a couple of bulldog clips, pegs or hair clips to hold it all down in breeze or air con or heater or real fast dancers going past!

I wonder if the new larger iPad would be better - my normal size iPad is a bit small, well compared to 2 full real pages next to each other on the music stand.... And a longer power lead for the iPad so battery don't go flat!

AND

I put a row of bubble wrap gaffa taped down on all sides to make a 'bumper bar' on the metal bits sticking out everywhere on the music stand - saved many guitars from gouges.

AND

Rehearse with whatever you are going to use - don't just turn up hoping to get the hang of your new 'system' at the gig......

AND

Don't forget your reading glasses if you need them! Otherwise, it could be an improvised version like 'driving down a fair-air-way to De-ev-von...'

BluesKing777.

My iPad and iPhone are nicely organized.

My "cover" notes are scattered all over the Planet.

My originals are all in my head. Which is weird and not working as well as it did 20 years ago.........

F-that place. Too many wound-way-too-tight, nerds who geek the heck out on the stupidest, most insignificant specs and details. I question if most of them actually PLAY their guitars, or do they just "collect" them and discuss them amongst each other? I get the impression the bulk of the members on that forum are the baby boomer, Hawaiian shirt wearing, "Cheeseburger in Paradise" playing types.

No, its good fun taking the mickey out of them, stirr the pot up a bit and see their knickers get in a knot. Good fun.

No, its good fun taking the mickey out of them, stirr the pot up a bit and see their knickers get in a knot. Good fun.

Yes, though I get the ban stick sometimes.

rct

Archived