Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp Day

Dub-T-123

Sweet man... cant go wrong with that..

Happy playing....

Just one thing.. You were born in the 90s??... man that makes me feel old :unsure: :)

Lol yeah I was born in 92

I just cranked this thing up to 8 and that was a magical experience. So much POWER!!! I've never actually cranked one of these so I was pretty floored by how dirty and loud this thing is on 8. Unbelievable

Lol yeah I was born in 92

I just cranked this thing up to 8 and that was a magical experience. So much POWER!!! I've never actually cranked one of these so I was pretty floored by how dirty and loud this thing is on 8. Unbelievable

Yeah I was very impressed by JDGMs twin... Beautiful sound it makes.... And as you say, can be just as dirty as it is chimy.... does everything most of us want an amp to do...

And yes, I left school about that time, the very early 90s and that seems to be where my head is stuck... Cos anyone who was born in the 90s (in my head) should still be at school :D

Oh yeah! That thing will move your pants legs. [thumbup]

Congrats! One of the best amps IMO for pedal lovers. I had an attenuator permanently attached to mine so I could crank it and not lose (more) hearing. A Twin breaking up with a Fuzz Face or Big Muff is a beautiful thing...

Congrats! One of the best amps IMO for pedal lovers. I had an attenuator permanently attached to mine so I could crank it and not lose (more) hearing. A Twin breaking up with a Fuzz Face or Big Muff is a beautiful thing...

I'm intending on using this amp at a clean setting, but I'm curious.. What is the difference (sonically) between using an attenuator and a master volume? Are attenuators harmful to the amp?

I tried this with a few different pedals yesterday and it sounds amazing. The extra headroom has given me the benefit of lower noise with my fuzz pedals. The ones that weren't very noisy to begin with are now dead quiet, and the noisy ones are now quieter. I've mostly just been playing it straight into the vibrato channel with varying amounts of reverb. The clean sound is pretty inspiring by itself

I'm intending on using this amp at a clean setting, but I'm curious.. What is the difference (sonically) between using an attenuator and a master volume? Are attenuators harmful to the amp?

Master volumes control the power tubes... attenuators control the speaker's volume allowing the power tubes to run at full tilt. They are not harmful if used correctly. I've made and sold q few hundred of them... no amps hurt yet. [biggrin]

Master volumes control the power tubes... attenuators control the speaker's volume allowing the power tubes to run at full tilt. They are not harmful if used correctly. I've made and sold q few hundred of them... no amps hurt yet. [biggrin]

Yep. I had my attenuator set fairly high on the Twin, and didn't have any problems at all.

Thanks for all the advice in my other thread! I just picked up this Twin Reverb today. According to the serial number this was made in 1990 so actually two years older than me :P

Gonna be perfect for my needs!

6687CE80-BCEC-4246-8101-2B8A2BB4D760_zpsi65l3rom.jpg

Congrats! And, how does your Twin sound with your Gibson guitars? I'm looking for an amp that takes pedals well, and has lots of clarity to its sound. I'm kind of thinking about getting a Twin, too.

Congrats! And, how does your Twin sound with your Gibson guitars? I'm looking for an amp that takes pedals well, and has lots of clarity to its sound. I'm kind of thinking about getting a Twin, too.

I only have one Gibson which is an SG with humbuckers. Compared to my other guitars (Ric 660, Strat, Tele), the Gibson has more pronounced mids and less "twang", but still stays nice and clean unless you crank the amp. It sounds great with single coils or humbuckers, but there is a noticable difference

I only have one Gibson which is an SG with humbuckers. Compared to my other guitars (Ric 660, Strat, Tele), the Gibson has more pronounced mids and less "twang", but still stays nice and clean unless you crank the amp. It sounds great with single coils or humbuckers, but there is a noticable difference

Thanks for your insight, mate. I'm really difficult when it comes to amps. I have always played Marshalls, but now I would like an amp that offers a bit less midrange and more clarity. I have tried Fender amps, Vox amps, and I'm still not sure what to buy :P

Thanks for your insight, mate. I'm really difficult when it comes to amps. I have always played Marshalls, but now I would like an amp that offers a bit less midrange and more clarity. I have tried Fender amps, Vox amps, and I'm still not sure what to buy :P

The Twin Reverb does have a mids knob which doesn't seem to come on many of the classic Fender amps (Champ, Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Super Reverb, etc). It's loud and clear. Try one out it might be what you're looking for

Congrats brother! That is one killer amp. I saw your original post just before I left for vacation (no cell service where I was) and this was going to be what I was going to recommend: a high wattage Fender, used, and USA made. Nothing against the newer, Mexican amps, but everyone I have played suffered from early breakdowns from normal use. I see a lot of faulty jacks, failing pots, and noisy reverb or dull tremolo. I have a 90s DRRI and, for its short comings, it is a workhorse amp with the best reverb. Really, how can you beat Fender reverb?

This amp will serve you well, freak out the squares, take fuzz pedals like a champ, and level people with the volume it produces.

Archived