Gibson Brands Forums

Studying Guitar Addiction Syndrome

sparquelito

Why must we label and describe every human trait. Why must we invent conditions so everyone can have their badge of honour mental condition. Seriously, people like to buy items they like. Do we really need to define that as a mental condition?

A proper, objective, scientific study would more than likely reveal that there is no condition worth naming.

That's actually one aspect of the proposed endeavor that I would love to confirm or deny.

But it's only reasonable to say, in light of the notion that many of you think it's all rubbish, and many others of you clearly think it's a psychological aberration to want to own so many guitars, that it's worth collecting some data to either support or not support the hypothesis that it might be.

Is that fair?

I myself own somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 guitars and 8 or 9 amps.

I'm a very content person, and feel that I am a healthy, well-adjusted individual and band leader.

Others might scratch their head and say, "Shoot Spark, that's a whole lot of gear. What do you need all that for?

:)

Surveys and studies were a big part of my professional life for many years - I actually enjoy 'em, and am always secure in the knowledge that, no matter the results, I'll continue to do just as I damn well please😁😂😐

1496871656[/url]' post='1860565']

A proper, objective, scientific study would more than likely reveal that there is no condition worth naming.

That's actually one aspect of the proposed endeavor that I would love to confirm or deny.

But it's only reasonable to say, in light of the notion that many of you think it's all rubbish, and many others of you clearly think it's a psychological aberration to want to own so many guitars, that it's worth collecting some data to either support or not support the hypothesis that it might be.

Is that fair?

I myself own somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 guitars and 8 or 9 amps.

I'm a very content person, and feel that I am a healthy, well-adjusted individual and band leader.

Others might scratch their head and say, "Shoot Spark, that's a whole lot of gear. What do you need all that for?

:)

"Shoot Spark, that's a whole lot of gear." you have Gas? Ha ha, msp_flapper.gif I only bought 2 guitars. Now another question? Does getting a guitar as a present count? Say, I didn't buy it, it was given as a Birthday present and that's something I can't control so to ask how many guitars do you have wouldn't be a fair question compared to how many did you buy. I have 4 guitars that were given to me as presents. That's hardly lust or gas. So this survey has to be well thought out and honest. Not just choose A-B or C. Maybe have participants fill in their comments.

I don't think it's as much of a mental condition as it is that some of us now have the desire and ability to own some guitars we have always wanted or have collected them over time. I think Rick Nielson, Keith Richards and Jimmy Page each own or owned over 1000 guitars. Why? Because they can. They can afford them and afford a place to store them and pay someone to take care of them. I'd be willing to take the survey. I currently own 6 guitars at the moment but I've had as many as 7. When I was playing in bands regularly, I had a Gibson V and a Fender Strat as my "expensive" guitars and the others cost me less than 400 dollars each. It's what I could afford and played at least three of them on stage, with the other two electrics as backup, an acoustic for some songs and an acoustic/classical to play at the hotel or to play classical. People who don't play guitar could never understand why I had so many. To me it made sense.

Now, twenty years later, I have 4 expensive Gibson's, one of my old cheap guitars and a nice classical guitar. Why? Because I wanted them and could afford them (and the wife was ok with it) and at my age, I have a little more disposable income these days. I'd like to have a nice Strat again and a nice Tele, when they jump out at me and I love the way they play and sound, just because I want them. I'd like to have a nice acoustic guitar and would like a Gibson Hummingbird if I find one at a good price and I love the way it plays, just because I think they look nice.

For me, guitar acquisition syndrome is poking fun at ourselves and we use the term lightly and loosely. Who doesn't want to say they have gas? :) I would also say that those of us who are here are most definitely addicted to guitars and play regularly and have a craving to play when we don't or can't. If our guitar purchasing or trading isn't causing our families to be homeless or starving, it's no different than anyone who collects and enjoys anything as long as it's not a real problem. If there were three hundred guitars in my house, it would be difficult to walk through it.

I think what the survey will show is that there are some guitars that each of us like and want and when we find those special ones and when we can afford it, we get them. If we're buying them and hiding them from our significant other, that's a problem. My wife said "No more adoptions for six months." She was being semi serious and if there was one I wanted and could afford it, she wouldn't mind. I usually give her something of similar value to be fair and equal.

I'd love to see the survey questions and results.

Glad to hear mention of accumulating instruments over a lengthy interval. I suspect that as long as guitars and lengthy intervals exist, this will be common practice - at least I hope so. That phenomenon is kind of the opposite of the thinking I've heard from some folks who predate the baby boomers and talk about 'having their instrument' as though it ends at that point. I'm intrigued by how generational differences might come into all this.

63 at end of this month.

10 guitars and a bass.

6 amps. FX pedals.

3 bands, 1 of which works every month.

1 duo.

Recently I returned and got a refund on a faulty mixing desk - the money was just enough to buy that nice Epi LP Koa I mentioned on P1 of this thread.

However no-one over here (UK) had one in stock; and the car needs fixing (cam belt and more), I have insurance premiums to pay so that's that. All money gone.

GAS, just like lust, is stronger while you are young. Age makes you less headstrong, more cautious (well maybe not everyone! [biggrin])

The unavoidable logical truth is that I have 10 guitars and even though I try and rotate using them, I don't really have time to do them all justice.

I have had no job since redundancy at end of 2014, thus nil 'disposable' income; otherwise who knows what I would have bought (and sold) by now........

I am undergoing GAS counselling already. I can’t afford a psychiatrist, so I just do it myself. I’ve made early progress. I’m no longer in denial that I’m almost certainly a bit of a knob where guitars are concerned.

Now every time I feel tempted to buy another guitar, I pause and seriously consider whether its worth the severe a$$kicking I have to administer myself (I'm very supple).

But yes. Count me in. I’ll do the survey.

For me GAS had to do with looking for this one thing.

It had to be light weight, have good tone, look good and be comfortable.

I've owned and sold several guitars in pursuit of this "one instrument to rule them all."

The Parker was light but sounded sterile.

The flying V was not comfortable.

The Les Paul was way too heavy.

I never could get used to short scale guitars. There went the Mustangs.

Factor in the fact that I didn't really know what tone I was looking for exactly, and it's no wonder I always had GAS. I would still be looking, but once I found the tone I was looking for I no longer had GAS. In fact I think I'm suffering from the opposite syndrome. I look at my gear wondering what I should get rid of next. I remember when Ernie balls St. Vincent signature came out I was very much looking forward to it because it was reputed to be very lightweight, had HBs, and it looked cool. Tried it, liked it, but there's nothing it can do that my SG can't do better and nothing is as comfortable as my Strat. The Hondo is a cheap spare for jam sessions, I have a couple of cheap Sears guitars for nostalgia, one good acoustic and one cheap spare. What more can I possibly ask for?

This is just my two cents on the topic of GAS.

The unavoidable logical truth is that I have 10 guitars and even though I try and rotate using them, I don't really have time to do them all justice.

Yes. For me that is the crux of it.

I really ought to lose at least 1 guitar. The oldest one (in its case under a wardrobe) or the latest one (an unjustified indulgence).

MichaelT: Who doesn't want to say they have gas? :)

That'd be me.

Most interesting. Keep us posted.

It's interesting you say "apples and hand grenades". The popular conception is you're either an addict, and you'll die soon whether it's heroin or guitars, or you're not. I've always thought that to be a bit simplistic, even if I get what is meant by it. If coffee killed like alcohol does, they'd have to shut down AA ;)

I'm with Izzy. I used to have a few more guitars, but it was more a search for tone and playability than GAS. Actually, mainly I knew what I was getting, and why. Poor candidate for a GAS study.

Regarding the alcoholic who can quit anytime, Lemmy Kilmister from Motorhead had his own (?) version of that saying in Nikki Sixx' book, when he was thrown a bunch of words pertaining to the subject matter:

"ADDICTION: when you can give up anything... as long as it's next Tuesday."

I wouldn't be a good candidate. While I own 7 guitars, 2 basses, 5 amps and about a dozen pedals, I rarely buy gear anymore. From 2010-2014, I didn't buy much in the way of gear. Then I started playing bass regularly in a couple of garage bands so I sold my Firebird VII (the only guitar I have ever sold and the only one I purchased used) so I could fund the purchase of my second bass and a good bass head and cab. I bought my 7 string in 2015 to try something new and in early 2016 I won an electric guitar as a prize. Other than that, my only other purchase was a fuzz pedal I bought myself for my birthday last year. Not much to study I'm afraid.

Archived