Gibson Brands Forums

Got the J-15......

Murph

Gawd, this thing is awesome. I need to figure out a new picture hosting site, but for now I'm going to play it some more. Totally different than the Rosewood J-45, lighter and brighter is my first impression. Loud and airy.

I did swap the ES-339, probably won't give exact #'s, but the hang tag was 1499.00 and the ES had been un-used for 8 years. Anyhoo, I just registered it, so was online.

Thanks for everything you bunch of lunatics.

More later.

Gawd, this thing is awesome. I need to figure out a new picture hosting site, but for now I'm going to play it some more. Totally different than the Rosewood J-45, lighter and brighter is my first impression. Loud and airy.

I did swap the ES-339, probably won't give exact #'s, but the hang tag was 1499.00 and the ES had been un-used for 8 years. Anyhoo, I just registered it, so was online.

Thanks for everything you bunch of lunatics.

More later.

Ha! Congrats, Murph--can't wait to hear you with it. Nice git get.

Funny, I just got my 2014 J-15 out last night for the first time in a while, and was again struck by the range & clarity of it's tone. The night before, the 2002 J-45 Rosewood was out for a spin - interesting to compare. The J-45R is very dry & woody in sound, with depth & resonance. Meanwhile, this particular J-15 is also dry but more percussive overall, leaning more in the direction of a maple tone. They are significantly different, but both very enjoyable & motivating.

Anyway Murph, heavy grain figuring is generally a characteristic of flat-sawn wood.

Congrats & enjoy!

Well, I got the hole drilled, stole a straplock (Shaller) from my SG, will have to replace that today.

I'm on vacation this week, running errands, Christmas shopping, swapping guitars....

I've only had it plugged in for a few minutes, will spend more time with it in the next few days. It has a volume knob stashed in the soundhole, unlike my J-45. I'm doing a few Coffeehouse acoustic gigs a month with Owen Malone, and with a day job and family/property stuff time is always short.

I've been using Elixirs for so long, a lot of the tone difference I'm hearing is from those new Masterbuilts.

Cool new adventure !

Thanks, all.

Congrats on the J15.

I love mine too, have gigged it a lot over the past two years and it's opened up really nicely.

Big contrast in sounds to both by SJ and J185.

Hope you are are happy with it once you gig.

I had one for a few months and did not gel with it at all. Sold it after 2 months. I've owned 4 Martins and 2 of them were in that J-15 price range and for me the Martin at the same price was nicer and better built. I really miss my D-15's. For that price from Martin you can't beat the sound and quality. The only Gibson acoustic I have ever liked are the full dreads. I am not a fan of rounded shoulder acoustics. I've played J-45's,15's, 35's, Birds,a Blues King, Songwriters, a Dove, and anything the acoustic room has at the time. The Bird and Songwriter always sounded the best to me. Also it seems like and correct me if I am wrong, there are only about 5 or 6 Acoustics under 2k and the rest are over 2k.

Ok, so now there is one. ;)

After a few days, I love this thing even more than at first. (sorry no recording yet...)

The action is lower and faster than my J-45 and I wasn't sure I would leave it, but it is staying. My daughter held it and simply strummed a chord and stopped and looked at me and said "Wow, this thing sounds great" Everybody who hears it says the same thing. The back is stunning, but I don't get to see it that often, nor will anyone else. I absolutely LOVE the maple neck with the walnut skunk stripe. It's the perfect size for my hand and slides pretty well for new nitro. It'll wear in nice. And SOON ! The walnut fretboard looks great, plays great, and isn't Richlite, it's wood.

I think Gibson is brilliant for building a guitar with American woods, telling the treehuggers where to shove it, and at a good price.

Sound clip eventually.....

Archived