Gibson Brands Forums

Got the J-15......

Murph

Gawd, this thing is awesome. I need to figure out a new picture hosting site, but for now I'm going to play it some more. Totally different than the Rosewood J-45, lighter and brighter is my first impression. Loud and airy.

I did swap the ES-339, probably won't give exact #'s, but the hang tag was 1499.00 and the ES had been un-used for 8 years. Anyhoo, I just registered it, so was online.

Thanks for everything you bunch of lunatics.

More later.

Gawd, this thing is awesome. I need to figure out a new picture hosting site, but for now I'm going to play it some more. Totally different than the Rosewood J-45, lighter and brighter is my first impression. Loud and airy.

I did swap the ES-339, probably won't give exact #'s, but the hang tag was 1499.00 and the ES had been un-used for 8 years. Anyhoo, I just registered it, so was online.

Thanks for everything you bunch of lunatics.

More later.

Ha! Congrats, Murph--can't wait to hear you with it. Nice git get.

Funny, I just got my 2014 J-15 out last night for the first time in a while, and was again struck by the range & clarity of it's tone. The night before, the 2002 J-45 Rosewood was out for a spin - interesting to compare. The J-45R is very dry & woody in sound, with depth & resonance. Meanwhile, this particular J-15 is also dry but more percussive overall, leaning more in the direction of a maple tone. They are significantly different, but both very enjoyable & motivating.

Anyway Murph, heavy grain figuring is generally a characteristic of flat-sawn wood.

Congrats & enjoy!

Well, I got the hole drilled, stole a straplock (Shaller) from my SG, will have to replace that today.

I'm on vacation this week, running errands, Christmas shopping, swapping guitars....

I've only had it plugged in for a few minutes, will spend more time with it in the next few days. It has a volume knob stashed in the soundhole, unlike my J-45. I'm doing a few Coffeehouse acoustic gigs a month with Owen Malone, and with a day job and family/property stuff time is always short.

I've been using Elixirs for so long, a lot of the tone difference I'm hearing is from those new Masterbuilts.

Cool new adventure !

Thanks, all.

I had one for a few months and did not gel with it at all. Sold it after 2 months. I've owned 4 Martins and 2 of them were in that J-15 price range and for me the Martin at the same price was nicer and better built. I really miss my D-15's. For that price from Martin you can't beat the sound and quality. The only Gibson acoustic I have ever liked are the full dreads. I am not a fan of rounded shoulder acoustics. I've played J-45's,15's, 35's, Birds,a Blues King, Songwriters, a Dove, and anything the acoustic room has at the time. The Bird and Songwriter always sounded the best to me. Also it seems like and correct me if I am wrong, there are only about 5 or 6 Acoustics under 2k and the rest are over 2k.

Ok, so now there is one. ;)

After a few days, I love this thing even more than at first. (sorry no recording yet...)

The action is lower and faster than my J-45 and I wasn't sure I would leave it, but it is staying. My daughter held it and simply strummed a chord and stopped and looked at me and said "Wow, this thing sounds great" Everybody who hears it says the same thing. The back is stunning, but I don't get to see it that often, nor will anyone else. I absolutely LOVE the maple neck with the walnut skunk stripe. It's the perfect size for my hand and slides pretty well for new nitro. It'll wear in nice. And SOON ! The walnut fretboard looks great, plays great, and isn't Richlite, it's wood.

I think Gibson is brilliant for building a guitar with American woods, telling the treehuggers where to shove it, and at a good price.

Sound clip eventually.....

Archived