Gibson Brands Forums

ES355 Ebony

Mark Simpkin

You know things are meant to be when you walk into a guitar shop to to kick around and have a browse. But when the salesperson asked if I needed any help and I said; "Well if you had a Black Gibson 335 I might be" and he then led me over to the Gibson section to show me a Custom Shop ES355 Ebony with Bigsby, you just know that the planets were in that moment lined up. If I didn't buy it I would have kicked myself to the end of my days.

Its a very versatile guitar and I just love playing it. If you are interested, here is our latest Video titled "ROCK GOD" where I am using the 355 and I'm pretty happy with the what it help me deliver.

I hope you like it, I love any feedback you might have:

Loved the vid, 335 sounds great.

you just know that the planets were in that moment lined up. If I didn't buy it I would have kicked myself to the end of my days.

yes, I do, it's only happened to me once. I still have that guitar.

First of all, I have just seen all the very kind comments from so many of you so a heartfelt thanks to all of your kind feedback.

Regarding the Guitar, I've wanted a 335 for as long as I can remember but haven't had the chance to play one all that often enough to give objective feedback on the difference of a 335 to a 355.

Here is some information I was able to get from the internet on the ES355:

OVERVIEW

Stunning perfection in every detail.

The Gibson ES-335 brought hollowbody tradition and solidbody performance together in 1958, and it is still one of the all-time classic guitar designs. It's among the most versatile guitars you can own. Classic semi-hollowbody design and dual '57 Classic Gibson humbuckers combine to produce everything from full-bodied growls to singing sustain. The ES-335 also features a thin-tapered 1960s neck and Richlite fingerboard (24-3/4" scale), body/neck binding, nickel-plated hardware with Grover kidney tuners, Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece, separate volume and tone controls, and a 3-way switch.

Here is a 2011 Gibson ES 355 Custom Shop ’59 Ebony reissue. These are special limited production guitars from Gibson’s Custom Shop for sale through selected dealers. The guitar is a 2011 model in fantastic Ebony with ’57 PAF’s, Gold Bigsby, gold hardware, ebony fret board and Mother of Pearl inlays and is exceptionally stunning in the flesh.

Guitar is professionally setup and has superb action and playability. This is probably the closest most of us will get to ‘59 with prices upwards of $15,000 for and original. Condition wise the guitar and has been lightly played. With some hazing and light belts rash on the back (no worming) as seen in the photo’s, no fret ware to mention. The gold has not oxidized or rubbed from the hardware.

Guitar weighs 9.3lbs The guitar comes with Gibson hard case, Gibson warranty card with checklist and date of production.

Year 2011

SPECIFICATIONS

ES-355 Electric Guitar with Bigsby

• Body dimensions: 16-1/2"W x 20"L x 2"D
  • Scale: 24-3/4"
  • Nut width: 1-11/16”

maple body

1-piece mahogany neck

ebony fretboard

24-3/4" scale length

two '57 Classic humbuckers

ABR-1 bridge

Bigsby vibrato

Grover tuners

gold hardware

multi-ply cream body binding

ebony finish

FEATURES

• Laminated plain maple top, back, and rims
  • Multi-ply white/black binding on top and back
  • Gold hardware
  • Bigsby vibrato
  • 1-piece mahogany neck
  • 22-fret Richlite fingerboard
  • Mother of pearl block inlays
  • Single-ply white neck binding
  • 1960s slim taper neck profile
  • Grover kidney tuners
  • '57 Classic pickups
  • 2 volume, 2 tone, and 3-way selector switch

The Amp I'm using is a US made Peavey Classic 50. I've replaced the speakers with 2 x Celestion Gold AlnicoSeries 50 watt 8 ohm 12" guitar speaker made in UK

Thoroughly enjoyed listening to that tune. What amp were you running through?

First of all, I have just seen all the very kind comments from so many of you so a heartfelt thanks to all of your kind feedback.

Regarding the Guitar, I've wanted a 335 for as long as I can remember but haven't had the chance to play one all that often enough to give objective feedback on the difference of a 335 to a 355.

Here is some information I was able to get from the internet on the ES355:

OVERVIEW

Stunning perfection in every detail.

The Gibson ES-335 brought hollowbody tradition and solidbody performance together in 1958, and it is still one of the all-time classic guitar designs. It's among the most versatile guitars you can own. Classic semi-hollowbody design and dual '57 Classic Gibson humbuckers combine to produce everything from full-bodied growls to singing sustain. The ES-335 also features a thin-tapered 1960s neck and Richlite fingerboard (24-3/4" scale), body/neck binding, nickel-plated hardware with Grover kidney tuners, Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece, separate volume and tone controls, and a 3-way switch.

Here is a 2011 Gibson ES 355 Custom Shop ’59 Ebony reissue. These are special limited production guitars from Gibson’s Custom Shop for sale through selected dealers. The guitar is a 2011 model in fantastic Ebony with ’57 PAF’s, Gold Bigsby, gold hardware, ebony fret board and Mother of Pearl inlays and is exceptionally stunning in the flesh.

Guitar is professionally setup and has superb action and playability. This is probably the closest most of us will get to ‘59 with prices upwards of $15,000 for and original. Condition wise the guitar and has been lightly played. With some hazing and light belts rash on the back (no worming) as seen in the photo’s, no fret ware to mention. The gold has not oxidized or rubbed from the hardware.

Guitar weighs 9.3lbs The guitar comes with Gibson hard case, Gibson warranty card with checklist and date of production.

Year 2011

SPECIFICATIONS

ES-355 Electric Guitar with Bigsby

• Body dimensions: 16-1/2"W x 20"L x 2"D
  • Scale: 24-3/4"
  • Nut width: 1-11/16”

maple body

1-piece mahogany neck

ebony fretboard

24-3/4" scale length

two '57 Classic humbuckers

ABR-1 bridge

Bigsby vibrato

Grover tuners

gold hardware

multi-ply cream body binding

ebony finish

FEATURES

• Laminated plain maple top, back, and rims
  • Multi-ply white/black binding on top and back
  • Gold hardware
  • Bigsby vibrato
  • 1-piece mahogany neck
  • 22-fret Richlite fingerboard
  • Mother of pearl block inlays
  • Single-ply white neck binding
  • 1960s slim taper neck profile
  • Grover kidney tuners
  • '57 Classic pickups
  • 2 volume, 2 tone, and 3-way selector switch

Looking at the specs, it seems as tho the ebony fretboard and/or bigsby is the only noticeable difference other than maybe different pickups right? I had a les paul studio once with an ebony board and i must say, i really LOVED it. One of those deals afterwards that even tho i made good money on the deal, i regret. Wonder if the 355 come cheaper than the custom shop model? Because 15k is way way out of my price range.

My ES355 is a Custom Shop build. I consider myself pretty lucky to have got at all.

Looking at the specs, it seems as tho the ebony fretboard and/or bigsby is the only noticeable difference other than maybe different pickups right? I had a les paul studio once with an ebony board and i must say, i really LOVED it. One of those deals afterwards that even tho i made good money on the deal, i regret. Wonder if the 355 come cheaper than the custom shop model? Because 15k is way way out of my price range.

What - all of you guys watched the video and didn't give em a like? I did & also a comment because I'm nice like that [thumbup]

Loved the video & the song! Great pairing & superb vocalist! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I was just kidding about needing your address. Sort of 8-[

:)

My ES355 is a Custom Shop build. I consider myself pretty lucky to have got at all.

its a great guitar, i was just asking if its only custom shop made? i just checked Reverb and there are regular 355 within my budget range. The ones in my range seem to have richlite fingerboards and not ebony, bummer.

Yes I saw the like and the comment on YouTube, much appreciated. Oh, I now have the 355 under 24/7 armed guard

MS

What - all of you guys watched the video and didn't give em a like? I did & also a comment because I'm nice like that [thumbup]

Loved the video & the song! Great pairing & superb vocalist! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I was just kidding about needing your address. Sort of 8-[

:)

Archived