Gibson Brands Forums

Can adults develop perfect pitch?

saturn

I stumbled onto this guys videos a few weeks ago. I think he has some great stuff. He recently did one discussing the recent Gibson financial troubles.

But here is one that some might find controversial. I don't know enough to agree or disagree, but I think his points lead me to believe what he says.

yes,, this is the same dork I think that said "gibson filed bankruptcy" where they hadn't,

now he's an expert on Pitch? right.. sure he is..

I don't think I need to hear any of what that a$$hat has to say.

yes,, this is the same dork I think that said "gibson filed bankruptcy" where they hadn't,

I don't think I need to hear any of what that a$hat has to say.

The clip I saw, he said he heard they were about to file bankruptcy. Small difference, but....

however his comments about perfect pitch seem sound to me. I know I've never been even close, but then I haven't ever really tried to develop it.

I don't think I need to hear any of what that a$hat has to say.

haha, come on Ray stop beating around the bush. tell us how you really feel.

Guest Farnsbarns

Perfect is a difficult word. I realised a few years ago that I can "hear" certain songs in my head, at the correct pitch (more or less). Know the key of the song and you're kind of, sort of, half way there.

I "hear" The Doors -Roadhouse Blues opening riff, for example, and dum, dumdum, dumdum, dumdahdahdah is E,EE,EE,E-A Bb B. Easy to zero in on the E. Problem is, "hearing" stuff in your head while something else is playing isn't so easy.

Perfect is a difficult word. I realised a few years ago that I can "hear" certain songs in my head, at the correct pitch (more or less). Know the key of the song and you're kind of, sort of, half way there.

I "hear" The Doors -Roadhouse Blues opening riff, for example, and dum, dumdum, dumdum, dumdahdahdah is E,EE,EE,E-A Bb B. Easy to zero in on the E. Problem is, "hearing" stuff in your head while something else is playing isn't so easy.

try this on your next string change.. see how close you can get your E strings to pitch.. you may be surprised

I'm usually a little flat, but, I have to say.. it's not by a lot. some where right in between what is E# and E, a semitone for sure.

try this on your next string change.. see how close you can get your E strings to pitch.. you may be surprised

I'm usually a little flat, but, I have to say.. it's not by a lot. some where right in between what is E# and E, a semitone for sure.

I've tried this and have gotten pretty close. I feel like I have "good" pitch. I can hum a note and be within a half step or so. I learned I could do this when I was an adult. Did I also have the ability as a child? I have no idea.

I went to college with someone with perfect pitch and he had me hold a tuner facing away from him and had me name a pitch and god damn if he didn't hit the note on pitch. Plus we were drunk.

I used to be able to 'hear' E in my head (unrealistically, I used to imagine an orchestra tuning up).

That was all ruined 15/20 years ago when at work. For about a year, I was exposed to someone singing who was tone deaf. I couldn't help but try to correct his notes in my head. It was a terrible experience.

So I cant hear E anymore & use a tuner always.

Well, I don't know how many people bothered to watch the video and listen to his reasoning. To oversimplify it, he basically says after a certain age, the human brain is "set" and if perfect pitch and some other linguistic skills haven't been developed, they never will.

You are born with perfect pitch, and a great party trivia is that a preponderance of albinos also have perfect pitch.

I went to school with a kid that had perfect pitch, he was not an albino, he was a nephew of Danny R of Danny and The Jrs. Bobbie was a great guitar player and we traded strats frequently, I have lots of pictures of us using each others guitars. He would take half the jazz band and tune them by ear while Al the teacher tuned the rest with me at the piano. But it was a problem for him like it is for most.

One year we had an assistant teacher with Al and he was an albino guy and he had perfect pitch. It was really hard for him.

We develop absolute pitch if we aren't born with perfect pitch. Absolute pitch is the use of a note or notes to then relatively determine the pitch of another note. We had to do it for interval training and especially for singing in choir and chorus, which we had to do for all three years of high school if we wanted to be in Theory and Jazz Band.

It was cool and fun and is still with me more than 40 years later.

I don't care what this dbag has to say about it. If you are in a band and do this stuff once a week or so you have a rudimentary absolute or relative pitch. When I'm in practice, like now, while the guitar is laying on it's back and I'm done winding the string up over the knot after all 6 strings are on and cut I sit down with the tuner and get the usually only two, sometimes three that I didn't hit just right when I stopped. It's how we know to step back to the amp and move a tuner or two in the middle of a song, you can hear it and feel it. Not really a big deal for most people in a band or regular musical situation, and anybody that wants to and practices can develop the same. You don't need perfect pitch, but good relative pitch helps.

rct

I went to college with someone with perfect pitch and he had me hold a tuner facing away from him and had me name a pitch and god damn if he didn't hit the note on pitch. Plus we were drunk.

(with my best Gollum impersonation) OH We hates him, my precious, [gollum] we HAAAAAAAATES him...

kidding!

other than a party novelty, as long as one knows how to use their voice to make "the good sounds", does any of this really changes the game? Phrasing, breathing, all more important than how close you are to "Perfect" pitch (just ask Mic Jagger who's made billions of dollars with what HE does.... not to dis the stones fan, but you know what I'm sayin)

....It's how we know to step back to the amp and move a tuner or two in the middle of a song, you can hear it and feel it. Not really a big deal for most people in a band or regular musical situation, and anybody that wants to and practices can develop the same. You don't need perfect pitch, but good relative pitch helps.

rct

This.

[thumbup]

1520000164[/url]' post='1920854']

Did not think I was a person with perfect pitch for sure but that sounded like a challenge. Since I tuned guitars by ear for many many years much younger I had to try it out. The first time I did the E, I was flat, so I lossened the E way down again and tried it one more time. I was shocked. I tuned it a perfect E as I then checked what I tuned to a tuner. So it is possible! Thanks for mentioning that. msp_thumbup.gif I never had tuners growing up so always tuned the E to a piano and did the rest of the strings by ear.

Whenever I change a set of strings, I always try to tune by ear. Sometimes I'm very close, sometimes not. Having perfect pitch would mean being able to hear what the exact notes in an extended or altered chord are (though experienced musicians can detect the relative pitches in an extended or altered chord) and easily identify intervals. That would be very beneficial. But as rocketman once said, it would be very bothersome to listen to any music played even slightly off key.

Guest Farnsbarns

Too bad rocketman isn't around to voice his opinion. He is blessed/cursed with perfect pitch.

Whatever happened to rocket man? I liked him. He was actually a rocket scientist too.

Archived