Gibson Brands Forums

enough of these stupid posts lets just get back to normal

nikko18

seriusly, it's getting kind of annoying with all the drama going on lately. if i wanted drama i would watch "the young and the restless" with my mom everyday. but i don't want any of the that s***. let's just get back to talking about guitars, music, etc.

i will start.

what types of wood do you like better for your guitar bodys? i personaly like denser heavier woods better because i think they get a better sound. thats why i like les pauls, and why i am replacing my strats alder body with an ash one. although i am not sure about denser fingerboard wood yet, i still don't know whether i like ebony or not. although it looks sweet.

discuss (the guitar part!).

I cant say I really care for a given kind of wood... sounds good? That's all I care about... my tele is ash and it sounds amazing... my gibby is not and it osunds amazing too... I have a plywood epi and it sounds (just) good but wont sustain any note, but there might be a plywood guitar that works for me or any of you... (I have played a washburn mercury made out of plywood and it was a dream to play, great tone, and very fun to have around: floyd rose trem, H-S-S config with coil tap, and everything else... great guitar for less than $300).

So tone is not in the wood. Tone is in your fingers and they will respond not so much as to what materials were used but to HOW A GUITAR WAS BUILT. (What about those guys that pay with instruments made out of garbage???)

In the 70s we wanted the heaviest guitars around. The heavier, the better. Heavy = sustain = tone. In the 80s it was all about light weight. Alder was the heaviest desirable wood and if you had basswood that was better.

A '79 ash Strat would break your back, in the 80s it was a pariah, now they're 'vintage' and fetch $2000 on ebay.

I've lost track of what's important nowadays. Doesn't matter, it's temporary.

Sometimes a guitar can be made of wood garbage and sound beautiful (insert mental image of an old masonite Danelectro here) and other times it can be made out of wood from Noah's friggin' ark and sound like a guinea pig at the moment it realizes it's going into the blender feet first.

I've lost track of what's important nowadays. Doesn't matter' date=' it's temporary.

Sometimes a guitar can be made of wood garbage and sound beautiful (insert mental image of an old masonite Danelectro here) and other times it can be made out of wood from Noah's friggin' ark and sound like a guinea pig at the moment it realizes it's going into the blender feet first.[/quote']

Exactly! [-X

I think most people doesnt realize that what matters is what they like, not what the ads, magazines and internet reviews made by "guys that know their stuff" say they should like and accept as "standard".

I cant say I really care for a given kind of wood... sounds good? That's all I care about... my tele is ash and it sounds amazing... my gibby is not and it osunds amazing too... I have a plywood epi and it sounds (just) good but wont sustain any note' date=' but there might be a plywood guitar that works for me or any of you... (I have played a washburn mercury made out of plywood and it was a dream to play, great tone, and very fun to have around: floyd rose trem, H-S-S config with coil tap, and everything else... great guitar for less than $300).

So tone is not in the wood. Tone is in your fingers and they will respond not so much as to what materials were used but to HOW A GUITAR WAS BUILT. (What about those guys that pay with instruments made out of garbage???)[/quote']

I'm with on this TG. I love the sound of my ash Strat. I also love the Sonex for that shredding sound and that guitar is pretty much made out of particle board.

I'm with on this TG. I love the sound of my ash Strat. I also love the Sonex for that shredding sound and that guitar is pretty much made out of particle board.

Rocketman, i agree. My Sonex has a great shredding tone. It's just as good or better than my all mahogany beast of a Flying V, and the sonex weighs about as much as the Liberty Bell. Good guitar.

ever heard of osage orange?

its really bright orange when cut, but sanded and clearcoated its a beautiful light brown

its the most dense wood on the planet, with the highest burning temperature,

i have a luthier friend who makes instruments outof many exotic woods, and shapes, not my cup of tea, but his choice of wood is crazy, im surprised gibson only sticks to mainly mahogany and maple

I can tell you that in the acoustic world, what wood it is combined with what body size it is makes a world of difference in tone. That's why I like the 3 I have. All different wood combos and body sizes. Same player, all have different tonal response.

1) Gibson AJ - Sitka top/EI Rosewood back & sides - dreadnaught size. Perfect for strumming, singing with, darker fingerstyle pieces and alternate tunings like Drop D, Double Drop D, DADGAD and Open G are some of my favorites on it. I have a K & K Western Mini for use in Gigging with just about any type of band, it would be my #1 go to guitar.

2) Taylor 612C - Sitka top/Maple back & sides - Grand Concert size - Perfect for couch noodling, fingerstyle pieces, recording, on stage use cutting through a mix of electric instruments. Bright and excellent sustain with a quick attack. Good strummer but better suited for a light touch fingerstyle. Has a UST Highlander pickup installed. Great for use on stage. Is my #1 go to guitar for playing at home.

3) Taylor GSMC - Cedar top/Mahogany back & sides - Grand Symphony size - Perfect for fingerstyle with the cedar top! Loud deep bass and shimmery trebils, Great for DADGAD or open C tunings. No pickguard so I don't ever strum this. It is a unplugged fingerstyle machine! Tone is warm and dry yet it has excellent sustain. Newest and getting most play time right now.... =P~

Archived