Gibson Brands Forums

Auditioning for a band tomorrow

MichaelT

I haven't really auditioned for a band for a LONG time so I'm kind of excited about it. They're not too far away, man/wife drummer/singer team, their sons playing bass and keyboard, another guitarist and myself. Funny thing is, the drummer thinks he knows me and remembers seeing one of the bands I was in back in the 80's and 90's and we played the same club circuit. I'm taking my '81 V and 2018 Traditional along with the baby Marshall (DLS40CR) and a pedal or three. We're doing 14 songs tomorrow and working up a few more over time. I'm pretty excited about it. The last time I played in a band full time was 1995. It's been mostly me getting together with a few other musicians, sitting in with bands or playing in open mic/amp jams.

Tomorrow I'll use these:

32234075_1641153219325122_2315298366830936064_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fa6c3a2dcf705dbf70a19c37906f2a89&oe=5B914694

32266407_1641151915991919_3626761506768551936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=af11d7d354ae80a8310c9155c0dee143&oe=5B870806

Here's an update for those interested. Everything went pretty well. I knew a lot of the songs that they had worked up. They had only been together a month or so. We played from about 4:00 PM to 10:00 PM and things went pretty well. They invited me into the band at the end of practice and I'm looking forward to playing again. The keyboardist is 18 years old and when he played Come Sail Away by Styx, I was blown away by his talent. We practiced again last night and it was better than Saturday. Now it's the never ending task of creating a song list, everyone learning it and rehearsing. It's good working with another guitarist again. We're taking turns on solos and lead. Things are going well so far and I look forward to the next month or two and see where we go.

Nice update Michael, I know you've been contemplating getting another band going for a while. Happily it sounds like you may have found it. It can be a lot of work but hope things continue to be positive and fun.

...Now it's the never ending task of creating a song list, everyone learning it and rehearsing. It's good working with another guitarist again. We're taking turns on solos and lead. Things are going well so far and I look forward to the next month or two and see where we go...

Missed this thread earlier. I'm distinctly envious!

Really happy for you, Mike, and it sounds like it's going to be great fun for all aboard!

Very Best wishes for the band!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Thanks everyone. It's definitely fun to be playing with a band again after not playing with a band much for 20 years. They have a huge variety of songs from Elvis, Rod Stewart, Allman Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, Journey, Styx, Cranberries, Joan Jett, Disturbed, Melissa Etheridge, Bad Company, Eagles, KISS, Guns n Roses, etc. People in this area like a big variety of classic/hard rock/blues/etc. There's 120 songs that we're looking to try and going to work out the best out of those. We're not looking to book any gigs until next year, except maybe a few open jams or maybe an opening set or something like that. Lots of work to do but it's a fun kind of work. Tuesday's practice went well and I bought the singer a Shure SM58 because her microphone wasn't that great. She sounded much better the other day. It's fun to be playing again. My Les Pauls and Flying Vs are getting their workout and the Marshall DSL40CR definitely makes the cut and will be perfect for most places. At practice/stage volume, I only had it on about 3 on the 40 watt channel and it was plenty loud without being overbearing. The old DSL40 was good. The new ones, even better. I love the versatility and sound. Videos, audio, song list, pictures and stuff will be forthcoming. I took my Standard and 2007 V Tuesday, the Tribute, Traditional and 1981 V on Saturday. The keyboardist looked up Tuesday and said, "Every time I look up and pay attention, you have a different guitar."

...There's 120 songs that we're looking to try and going to work out the best out of those...

Having a large repertoire to choose from is not just good for the audience; it's good for the band, too, because you can mix the play-list around to ensure the songs stay fresh for you players.

Best of good fortune and looking forward to the updates!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are interested, I'm going to give y'all an update. Not only are things going alright for the original band I discussed but I also had another opportunity pop up out of nowhere. I had joined a website called bandmix.com and a local singer/guitarist found me there. We got together and he's an AMAZING singer. Very powerful voice, on key (this helps a lot, right?), good guitarist and very friendly person. He contacted a bassist and drummer and we got together last Saturday and things clicked VERY well. I see this particular band going further than the other so now a decision needs to be made. I'll probably give it a month or two, playing in both, just to see how it works out. But, since we know most of the songs on the list in this newest band, we could be out playing as early as August. The first band, not so much.

It's a lot of work learning all the songs and in the new band, I'll be the sole lead guitarist. I'm pretty excited about the prospects because these are all guys in their 40's and 50's and a lot more experienced players. Mostly classic rock, southern rock, country, hard rock. Bob Seger, Tom Petty, Black Crowes, Allman Brothers, Grand Funk Railroad, Marshall Tucker Band, Steve Miller Band, Eagles, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eagles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Charlie Daniels, Bad Company, Doors, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Bruce Springsteen, Cream, 3 Doors Down, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd and probably some I'm forgetting.

They were a bit surprised because a lot of my former bands were hard rock/metal but I've played in lots of different bands, all styles of music. I took my baby Marshall, the DSL40CR combo and my Les Paul Traditional. I brought my pedal board and all that mess but the bassist's cable was broken, so I let him use mine and I didn't take spares with me (even though I usually do). So, I wasn't able to use my pedal board and used the volume on my pickups, changing from neck to bridge to both to get the various sounds for all this music using nothing but guitar and amp. They asked about what I was using and I showed them I was plugged straight in. Pedal board case was open but not connected. That amp is so versatile and that guitar and its pickups really sing and go from a beautiful clean tone to tear your head off with just a little volume adjustment. Once we get everything worked out, I'll post a set list and all that for those interested. For those not interested, just scroll past my ramblings. :D

bandmix.com seems to be the more commercial way to get attention for musician wanted type of opportunities. I remember having to get a local, printed classified to find people - or even making my own ad for someone... Have you paid for a subscription so you can initiate communication and upload material, etc?

I didn't pay for the subscription but apparently the singer did, since he contacted each of us. Back in the day, we'd post ads at the local music stores or when I was playing professionally, booking agents has musician lists and we could call them and they'd mail lists and stuff to us and add us to the list. Our local music store has taken down his ad board but he knows everyone in the area. So, without that board, I went with the commercial avenue of bandmix.com. It seemed to have worked for us.

Archived