Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j45 Walnut 2018

ciav

Hello to all. I recently bought a Gibson j45 Walnut 2018, does anyone play it? I wanted to take a J45 Standard but in the end I chose the walnut guitar.

I have not found great news concerning Gibson in walnut.

Thank you

Mauro

Italy

the great news is you have a new guitar, DONT give a sheet what others think just enjoy it...

Yes, this is essential, but walnut guitars do not make many, Gibson has also pushed in this direction, I came only a doubt ....

....I have not found great news concerning Gibson in walnut.....

Most, if not all, of the J-15s have a solid walnut back. The J-15 gets great reviews for a surprisingly good tone bouncing off that walnut. Should be the same, if not better, with the J-45. Major congrats!

Thanks to everyone, I was in doubt because they put these guitars at a discount and I did not understand why. It is a beautiful wood also to be seen, I like it. I wanted a J45 and I opted for a missing shoulder.

• 11 months later...

The $64,000 question: is the j45 Studuo solid back and sides or laminate?  There is no bracing internally on the sides of the guitar which suggests laminate.  Solid sides require  bracing. I played one today and really liked it but wondering if Gibson are not disclosing here. 

Edited by Holywell
Rypo

7 hours ago, Holywell said:

The $64,000 question: is the j45 Studuo solid back and sides or laminate?  There is no bracing internally on the sides of the guitar which suggests laminate.  Solid sides require  bracing. I played one today and really liked it but wondering if Gibson are not disclosing here. 

Actually, many manufacturers do not brace instruments with solid sides, including Gibson, Martin, Guild, and Larrivee.

These days, if you see bracing on the sides, it may depend on whether or not it's a reissue of a vintage piece.  Yes, once upon a time, cloth side supports were fairly standard.  Wood supports have also been used, as on a '90s Guild I have.  But Gibson has not used them for a long time.

I love my J-15, I had an inlaid truss cover made in walnut to go with it. Great tone.

The new G-series 45’s are solid top back and sides. I played the both back to back the other day (G-standard and G-studio) I found I liked the look and tone of the studio better. But I am a little bias as I don’t like the rich lite boards and bridges much.

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned many guitars over the years. I've had J200's, a D28 with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, D18, J15 and now my J45 Studio. I happen to like bright guitars that ring like a bell and this one does. I will never part with this guitar and I love the Walnut back and sides. I did a few mods to the guitar to give it a more "old time" look. Replaced the "studio" truss rod cover with solid black, ivoroid tuning knobs (soon to be replaced with Waverly open gear tuners with ivoroid knobs), ivoroid strap button, bone bridge pins ( I will eventually replace the saddle and nut with bone as well) and a firestripe pick guard. I sold my J15 in order to purchase this J45 and was surprised that it retailed for less than the J15. I realize it has a narrower body, which definitely lends to its brightness and has incredible sustain. So, my vote is for walnut all the way!

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2019 at 10:05 PM, bobouz said:

Actually, many manufacturers do not brace instruments with solid sides, including Gibson, Martin, Guild, and Larrivee.

These days, if you see bracing on the sides, it may depend on whether or not it's a reissue of a vintage piece.  Yes, once upon a time, cloth side supports were fairly standard.  Wood supports have also been used, as on a '90s Guild I have.  But Gibson has not used them for a long time.

I have a J45 Studio and the Walnut back and sides are all solid wood. Its a great guitar!!!

On 7/25/2018 at 7:54 AM, ciav said:

Thanks to everyone, I was in doubt because they put these guitars at a discount and I did not understand why. It is a beautiful wood also to be seen, I like it. I wanted a J45 and I opted for a missing shoulder.

have a J45 Studio and the Walnut back and sides are all solid wood. Its a great guitar!!!