Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Installment #2

darling67

Thanks to the fine folks at Wildwood Guitars, I scored this brand-new 2018 SG Standard—in Autumn Shade finish—for a pretty decent "clearance" price. The original hi-res image from Wildwood's web site is the first pic below...

She's a beauty! I wasn't thrilled with the 2019 line of SG's... I really don't care for the full-face pick guard, nor was I thrilled with the finish options. So, I went back in time a little to a model that caught my eye late in 2017.

This acquisition will conclude my "2019 Making Up For Lost Time Tour"! [laugh] Between this SG and my Gretsch 5230, I'm done for the time being. Like said Gretsch, I need to get this SG out on some gigs!

180037031_lg1_zpsqofwqvti.jpg20190228_143231_HDR_zpspjkqahtm.jpg

20190228_143121_HDR_zpsgygpcmo3.jpg20190228_142923_HDR_zps8ut3masl.jpg

20190228_142903_HDR_zpsrvdhtmby.jpg

Nice color. I like the large guard myself but have a 61 reissue I love so I guess I like the small guards too. They are great guitars. Did they make a video of Greg Koch playing it by chance? That guy is so fun to watch and very versatile.

Congratulations! Happy NGD! :)

Love the Autumn Fade, that's a beauty right there! msp_razz.gif

There's a lot of bargains going on for 2018's right now, I found such a good offer from GC that I picked up another 2018 Standard, this one in cherry. These are definitely a bargain over the 2019 Standards, coming with the '61 pups, small guard, and a REAL case for a 1/3 less of the price.

Again, congrats on a very sweet SG msp_thumbup.gif

I like the grain on it.

What are your impressions on playing it?

Steve, no joke.... in one afternoon, this has become my favorite SG of all-time—and I've owned a total of seven SG's over the past 20+ years. My 1991 Standard I still own, but all the others I've either sold or am trying to sell.

The neck on this thing is a dream. It's categorized as "SlimTaper", but whatever. It's comfortable... not too wide, and not very round. I thought, for a while, that I preferred chunky rounded '50s neck profiles. But I think I was just reacting to a "different" feel than what I'd been accustomed to.

I love it. I'd recommend snatching one up before they're all spoken for (brand-new, that is).

Congratulations! Happy NGD! :)

Love the Autumn Fade, that's a beauty right there! msp_razz.gif

There's a lot of bargains going on for 2018's right now, I found such a good offer from GC that I picked up another 2018 Standard, this one in cherry. These are definitely a bargain over the 2019 Standards, coming with the '61 pups, small guard, and a REAL case for a 1/3 less of the price.

Again, congrats on a very sweet SG msp_thumbup.gif

Thanks... and I agree! What's more is that, included in the "extras", was a multi-purpose tool! I'd never gotten one of these things with a guitar before. It's always just been the "L" wrench! A friend has one, which I'd ask to borrow from time to time. Now I've got my own! [biggrin]

Congrats to you, as well. I saw Guitar Center still had Cherry models in-stock, but I had my heart set on the Autumn Shade.

Nice color. I like the large guard myself but have a 61 reissue I love so I guess I like the small guards too. They are great guitars. Did they make a video of Greg Koch playing it by chance? That guy is so fun to watch and very versatile.

I actually looked to see if Wildwood had Greg playing one of these. Watching that guy play is rather intimidating! [scared] But all I found was him demo'ing a "Bohemian" SG—which was way out of my price range! [rolleyes] But other youtube vids convinced me that this was the way to go.

1551413103[/url]' post='1980357']

Thanks... and I agree! What's more is that, included in the "extras", was a multi-purpose tool! I'd never gotten one of these things with a guitar before. It's always just been the "L" wrench! A friend has one, which I'd ask to borrow from time to time. Now I've got my own! [biggrin]

Congrats to you, as well. I saw Guitar Center still had Cherry models in-stock, but I had my heart set on the Autumn Shade.

Thanks! To be honest I would have grabbed the Autumn Shade, but they were sold out. The Autumn Shade would have been a nice complement to my 2015 Standard Fireburst which is similar, but with less red. ;)

2015SGburstfrontzm.jpg

Thanks! To be honest I would have grabbed the Autumn Shade, but they were sold out. The Autumn Shade would have been a nice complement to my 2015 Standard Fireburst which is similar, but with less red. ;)

2015SGburstfrontzm.jpg

Some of these Burst finishes are hard to get a read on from photos alone.

I posted pics of mine, above, in different lighting situations to get this point across.... in the bright light, yes you do see more red. In dimmer light, it looks more like a "brown" burst.

So you got one!

Congrats.

Will not have GAS for an SG.

Will not have GAS for an SG.....

Yeah, I was determined to get one. Scoured the "interbwebs" for one until I found a new one with a decent financing option.

Reverb had some, but they were either "used", or new but over-priced... and if I made an offer (paid less than asking price), the financing option was voided.

If your GAS is too much, Wildwood has ONE MORE left....!!!! [scared]

That Autumn Shade finish is really, really nice. I remember seeing them when they came out and thinking that was the best finish that year. Congrats on a great guitar [thumbup]

Thanks. I really liked them, as well. But at the time (late 2017), I was trying to keep expenses down so I opted for a cheaper "Special" with the mini humbuckers. That has since been sold.

I happy to read that you got one. Congratulations! It's a beauty!

Me, too. Thanks! I kind'a get obsessive over a particular guitar—once I determine I must have one.

That's one sweet looking gee-tar! Like the silver knobs as well - awesome, enjoy!

Thanks, it truly is. The silver knobs are a nice simple "mod" that gives it an added bit of character. I'll post a pic with the silver/black knobs shortly...

Archived