Gibson Brands Forums

A look inside a new 2019 Les Paul 60s Standard

Rabs

Very nice detailed review.

These remind me of my old Bonamassa guitar that was a basically a 60's tribute. That was a great guitar and these are very similar. This is what a LP Standard should be.

Tru dat!!!

Could it be said these are very similar to the un-weight relieved Traditionals, just with a higher grade top?

That fretboard was rough. The most important part of the guitar and it had divots in it. It would have taken ten minutes to remedy it, but no. My 18 Classic was like that, but worse. So it's still a case of luck when you get one. As for the people that say 'just play it'. Would you have a new car or tv with scratches or dents, No.

Could it be said these are very similar to the un-weight relieved Traditionals, just with a higher grade top?

Yeah, I think you're right. It looks like the Original Collection Standard is almost identical to the Traditional, but now offered with two different necks. That seems like a good idea to me.

And it's priced about $300 less then the Traditional was.

They're both supposed to have AA tops, but you know how that goes. I would have offered plain top and figured top versions. Plain top for let's say $2200 and AAA figured for $2600 maybe??

On another note, as other have mentioned, the workmanship on this demo model is crap. That is concerning.

Edited by Black Dog
  • Upvote 1

On another note, as other have mentioned, the workmanship on this demo model is crap. That is concerning.

I don't agree 100% with that. The guy was going over this with a fine toothed comb, he kind of mentioned that himself. I don't care what guitar you purchase, if you are looking for flaws you will find flaws, especially when parts of the process are done by hand. (One exception to my statement would be the fingerboard issue on the first fret)

• Upvote 1

I don't agree 100% with that. The guy was going over this with a fine toothed comb, he kind of mentioned that himself. I don't care what guitar you purchase, if you are looking for flaws you will find flaws, especially when parts of the process are done by hand. (One exception to my statement would be the fingerboard issue on the first fret)

OK, to be fair I was referring mainly to the nut and fretboard. There was also the issue of the scratch/gouge in the top from the pick guard nut. But, being a Demo model that may have been a result of abuse rather than poor QC.

I'm generally a big defender of Gibson quality because the seven Gibson's I have, or have had, have all been perfect.

So I do agree with you in general but I thought that nut looked bad.

OK, to be fair I was referring mainly to the nut and fretboard. There was also the issue of the scratch/gouge in the top from the pick guard nut. But, being a Demo model that may have been a result of abuse rather than poor QC.

I'm generally a big defender of Gibson quality because the seven Gibson's I have, or have had, have all been perfect.

So I do agree with you in general but I thought that nut looked bad.

Yeah, that would have been a return for sure. It would have been a hard one though, That top is so awesome. I can't find one on the internet like it. All I see looks like plain tops.

Edited by Big Bill

Im wondering how this will all effect Custom LP sales.. With the new ones being more like the old ones, they are more like customs than before, well if you don't include all the things that are just cosmetic like the period correct plastic and specific wood dyes and all that kerfuffle..

Yeah, that would have been a return for sure. It would have been a hard one though, That top is so awesome. I can't find one on the internet like it. All I see looks like plain tops.

Well, I don't know. That top is really nice. As you say, it's the best one I've seen so far (in the whole 3 days they've been out). msp_biggrin.gif

If the nut functions well, I may live with it. I'm a pick guard guy so nobody would ever see the scratch. And without bright lights and magnification you can't see the fretboard that well...

Edit: I just watched the video again. On second look It's not really the nut. Its the fretboard just in front of the nut. Looking at the whole thing again, I think i'd keep it (with a discount for the scratch)

Edited by Black Dog

They put one out in the early nineties (I think) with 1960 engraved on the guard. It was a beauty - maybe the LP for me?

Can't recall what it was called though.

Those were the original Classics, I had one. A few guys here have them, I know Pip and Rabs do.