Gibson Brands Forums

Do endangered woods make better guitars?

I studied at Lancaster University but they never mentioned guitars when I was there [mad]

Just as well.

This is part of the text from that link

Overall sound quality ratings were then given by 52 guitarists in a dimly lit room who played the different guitars while wearing welder's goggles

all the telltale traits of a secret society.

Well in acoustics I think everyone agrees that wood type makes all the difference..

If the wood is endangered or not is not an issue to the sound.

People need to start accepting alternative woods at one point or another.

The other thing people don't seem to get.. Its not the wood species that counts.. EVERY piece of wood no matter what species is slightly different, thus every guitar that is made is slightly different.. That's what you get when you use an organic material.

Ohh and to add to my above post. Another reason these sorts of tests are pointless and they cant quantify the "tone" of a guitar is because every person has different experience and expectations so everyone thinks slightly different things about the same guitar because like wood we are organic and each one of us is slightly different (despite how similar we may seem to be sometimes)..

All that counts when you buy a guitar or listen to someone playing is, do you like it. If you do there is no need to quantify it, there doesn't have to be reason.

Well in acoustics I think everyone agrees that wood type makes all the difference..

If the wood is endangered or not is not an issue to the sound.

People need to start accepting alternative woods at one point or another.

The other thing people don't seem to get.. Its not the wood species that counts.. EVERY piece of wood no matter what species is slightly different, thus every guitar that is made is slightly different.. That's what you get when you use an organic material.

I agree. What makes a better guitar is your love for it in heart and mind. What one person loves, another hates and vise versa. It might be more expensive and have better materials but a cheaper one might sound better or just as good. When my wife told me I could get a Gibson Lucille for my Birthday way back, I played one and a ton of other guitars on different amps. I ended up falling in love with a $400.00 Gretsch.

Just as well.

This is part of the text from that link

Overall sound quality ratings were then given by 52 guitarists in a dimly lit room who played the different guitars while wearing welder's goggles

all the telltale traits of a secret society.

You have to know the secret handshake [rolleyes]

Not so sure how "scientific" that all was, but over here in the States, we're way dumber than that. We have a guy on TV named Mike Rowe, who narrates these complex scientific educational shows on TV but he advocates publicly against kids going to college. I'm like, "What TV network hires a guy to narrate science shows who publicly advocates against learning that exact stuff?" I guess that means that TV is dumber than college. :unsure:

Not sure about the wood, but Bald Eagle Nuggets are damn tasty, with honey mustard.

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif them sh1tz be tasty!

...but the more endangered species' remnants on my guitar the better personally. It's what I shop for specifically these days. When I go into GC, the first thing I ask is about the endangerment of the wood used to build a guitar. Hey, it's a big deal to me....

I for one believe that endangered woods also make better fires too. That and toothpicks. Need something to get them eagle gibblets out of yer teeths... I have found that the more threatened the species, the better the job they do at removing the crap.

Archived