Gibson Brands Forums

My J-45 on a diet

craig_no

I won't say it sounds or feels different, I just like Waverlys. The Grovers weigh exactly twice as much (280 grams vs. 140). Problem-free installation - lots of good advice and videos out there, especially on fitting the conversion bushings.

post-37031-088383700 1557402235_thumb.jpg

post-37031-086698700 1557402246_thumb.jpg

I actually like the heavier weight of Grovers & Schallers. My own theory (based on absolutely no scientific evidence!) is that the added weight dampens neck vibration, thereby enhancing the overall transfer of energy to the saddle.

I also appreciate that with Grovers, you can change out buttons for other styles (including numerous Hipshot buttons), as well as tighten the mechanism at the knob - and their gear ratio typically allows for finer tuning.

Kluson Revolution tuners offer these advantages in a drop-in package for most Gibsons. Just swapped out a set on my ES-330L, and they're a joy to use compared to the standard Kluson-clone "Gibson Deluxe" tulip tuners.

OK being a relative rookie at the guitar thing, 7 years now I have been trying to play, I am curious what is the "magic" of waverly tuners?Is it a looks thing or are they superior in keeping tune?

They are quality tuners, but so are the Grover Rotomatics - they always stayed in tune. I just like the traditional look of the open-backed tuners. That said, Rotomatics have been around long enough to be traditional, as well.

No, I just dislike Waverleys on Gibsons. As I said. It don't look right. Crucify me if you will. ^.^

Waverly's may look just a bit fancy on the J-45, but Rotomatics just look unbalanced on one to my eye. I will admit that I have Grover Sta-tites on one old J-45, as I got frustrated with the original Klusons back around 1970 or so. Fortunately, I didn't have the money for Rotomatics back then, or I would have put them on.

Incidentally, I just bought a set of three-on-a-plate Golden Age replica Klusons as backups for cantankerous vintage ones. They're pretty decent tuners, and require no peghead modifications if you keep the original vintage bushings.

More parts for the parts box.

OK being a relative rookie at the guitar thing, 7 years now I have been trying to play, I am curious what is the "magic" of waverly tuners?Is it a looks thing or are they superior in keeping tune?

The "magic" is that they are exceptionally well made and tune very smoothly and precisely. There are a few different factors involved in whether a guitar stays in tune, but with Waverlys, tuners aren't one of them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 12:44 PM, Leonard McCoy said:

I dislike Waverleys on anything Gibson. It's a Martin thing. Will always be.

I dunno man, with the Waverlys and Gibson’s both being made in Bozeman, seems like a perfect match to me. 

Archived