peter rowan - guitar, vocals

john kahn - standup bass[/quote']

But for my money, even better is Strength in Numbers:

Sam Bush - mandolin, violin

Béla Fleck - banjo, guitar

Mark O'Connor - violin, guitar, mandolin

Edgar Meyer - bass

Jerry Douglas - dobro

And also the quintet that Miles put together in the mid-60s - Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams.

RN

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think Blue is just messing with you all. Aside from the obvious Cream. 'The Firm' is there, but not Zep or Floyd. 'The Firm', come on?

Maybe I'm the one missing the point. What is the definition of 'Supergroup'?

I'm going out on a limb here' date=' but I think Blue is just messing with you all. Aside from the obvious Cream. 'The Firm' is there, but not Zep or Floyd. 'The Firm', come on?

Maybe I'm the one missing the point. What is the definition of 'Supergroup'?

[/quote']

It a group formed by at least two famous members of another group. That is why Deep Purple doesn't work, Zep, and Floyd. Most of the Supergroups in the 70s and 80s only lasted for an album or two. They basically get together to make one album then go on a mega tour.

To take a page out of KSG's book:

Source: Wikipedia

In the late 1960s, the term supergroup was coined to describe "a rock music group whose performers are already famous from having performed individually or in other groups."[1][2] Supergroups tend to be short-lived, often lasting only for an album or two. Additionally, supergroups are often formed as side projects that are not intended to be permanent.

Some of the most well-known supergroups include: 1960s groups Cream, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Blind Faith; 1970s groups ABBA, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Bad Company; the 1980s & 1990s groups The Firm, The Traveling Wilburys, Asia, and Power Station; and the 2000s-era metal/hard-rock band Velvet Revolver, and 2006 group The Good, the Bad & the Queen. It is not a rigidly defined category and it can be applied subjectively. Some music writers use the term to describe groups that sold huge numbers of albums and headlined massive concerts regardless of the previous fame of their individual members. In some cases, it has become merely a marketing term used to promote a new ensemble.

Archived