Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Guitars are Back

SG Sydney

I purchased new SG Gibson 2019 few weeks ago and want to give my review on this guitar after all the not so good publicity Gibson have been receiving of late. Purchased guitar online after receiving few pictures of SG to check out better view of guitar and looked pretty good on pictures.  Rather would have liked to go to Guitar Store and checked out and played guitar before buying , but being a Left hand model not many were available down under here in Sydney Australia, actually none were available, until Manny's Guitars Brisbane just received guitar one day before I purchased it. Brisbane is a 10 hour drive from Sydney , delivered by Courier few days later. This SG sounds sensational and is a joy to play, smooth and silky. Setup spot on nothing needed to be adjusted. Heritage Cherry in colour with no faults in paint or grain texture. Rosewood fretboard nice mild colour, frets all perfectly aligned, slim taper neck is so superb to play feels so comfortable in palm of hand. Stays in tune has  Grovers Rotomatics, volume , tone and toggle switch smooth as. 490 pickups especially bridge pickup killer sound. Comes with a Soft case which is Leather , great quality and is solid protection for guitar. There are people on YouTube knocking this case saying not good protection  but case is 1 and a half inches thick covered in foam and leather. Overall absolutely rapped with this SG so be assured Gibson players Gibson quality and build is A1 condition and no faults with this SG. Proud owner of American history , as with Angus We Salute You.......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

lol - yeah, pictures can be a learning curve.  You need to post them to a site (i.e. IMGUR.com) and then post the link here.  Post them to a site means got to IMGUR.com create an account, and then you can upload them from there.  Once it's uploaded you edit the size etc...  and there will be links you can copy and post places for the picture to show up.  ...neighbor kids are good!

• Thanks 1

Congratulations on your new SG!  Sounds like you have a real beauty there!  🙂

Yes, we need pics! 😎

Oh, and seeing how it was brought up, my personal feelings on the soft case is that Gibson cheaped out on their SG Standard and ships it with a soft case.   Their flagship Standard SG should be shipped with a Hardcase., period.  Even the SG Jrs and Specials now ship with a hard case (pathetic).   If that soft case was so great, then why don't they all ship with it.  The LP folks would never accept a Les Paul Standard being shipped with a soft case like that.  Why should the SG folks accept  the SG Standard to ship with anything less.   I prefer and acquire the SG Standards, and after the 2016s were shipped with a gigbag, I said I would never by another SG Standard shipped without a factory hardcase.  So no 2019 SG Standard for me. 🙂  

Edited by arcticsg
  • Like 1

So, I am figuring that the model of the new guitar here is a SG Standard in Heritage Cherry.  Great choice, I am sure.  I am surprised to see that it does not come with a hard-shell case.  To me, anything "Standard" should come with a hard-shell case.  Surprisingly, the SG Special does come with a hard-shell, and the SG Standard does not.

Yes, we would love to see pictures of it!  Congratulations - nice choice!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, arcticsg said:

Congratulations on your new SG!  Sounds like you have a real beauty there!  🙂

Yes, we need pics! 😎

Oh, and seeing how it was brought up, my personal feelings on the soft case is that Gibson cheaped out on their SG Standard and ships it with a soft case.   Their flagship Standard SG should be shipped with a Hardcase., period.  Even the SG Jrs and Specials now ship with a hard case (pathetic).   If that soft case was so great, then why don't they all ship with it.  The LP folks would never accept a Les Paul Standard being shipped with a soft case like that.  Why should the SG folks accept  the SG Standard to ship with anything less.   I prefer and acquire the SG Standards, and after the 2016s were shipped with a gigbag, I said I would never by another SG Standard shipped without a factory hardcase.  So no 2019 SG Standard for me. 🙂  

Who cares about a case, more interested in a great guitar 

Cool that you got what you wanted there mate. Also good that quality is consitent as let's face it here in Oz you struggle to have much to look at and as the prices are very high if I was buying a new Gibson I'd want it to be exactly as I'd dream it to be, so if the descriptions are spot on, and the pictures are of the exact guitar, and the build is great and th neck profiles, body weights etc are consistent on a given model, then at least ideally trying one of a given spec should translate to all of that same spec....which is just as well because any stores left are likely to have one or two only in stock and they are a long shot to be exactly the look you want. I used to go into Allens in Pitt St when I was in Sydney and at least they had a decent range...what you do now is be forced to buy on-line so all the above is critical to satisfaction.

6 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

I am surprised to see that it does not come with a hard-shell case.  To me, anything "Standard" should come with a hard-shell case.  S

Sounds to me that the seller did bit of a bogart!! If you ever want to sell it, it will effect the transaction.

However, our new friend couldn't give two shitz about the case and lets celebrate the the new SG! Yes, Yes, and Yes we need to see some pics of this honey!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

Cool that you got what you wanted there mate. Also good that quality is consitent as let's face it here in Oz you struggle to have much to look at and as the prices are very high if I was buying a new Gibson I'd want it to be exactly as I'd dream it to be, so if the descriptions are spot on, and the pictures are of the exact guitar, and the build is great and th neck profiles, body weights etc are consistent on a given model, then at least ideally trying one of a given spec should translate to all of that same spec....which is just as well because any stores left are likely to have one or two only in stock and they are a long shot to be exactly the look you want. I used to go into Allens in Pitt St when I was in Sydney and at least they had a decent range...what you do now is be forced to buy on-line so all the above is critical to satisfaction.

Spot on Scales you know what I m talking about, luckily I got a good SG , the salesman was up front with me and had a 30  day return policy. This SG stays with me....yeah Allen's Pitt top store, good range for lefty's ....

I'm glad you like your SG. Congrats and may it give you countless hours of playing enjoyment.

Gibson knows that a guitar in that range, of that price, should come with a hard shell case. There is no argument to the contrary.

Edited by Lord Summerisle
typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/24/2019 at 12:04 PM, billroy said:

lol - yeah, pictures can be a learning curve.  You need to post them to a site (i.e. IMGUR.com) and then post the link here.  Post them to a site means got to IMGUR.com create an account, and then you can upload them from there.  Once it's uploaded you edit the size etc...  and there will be links you can copy and post places for the picture to show up.  ...neighbor kids are good!

i know folks like to be pleasant to others and all, but the truth is, the internet  is already 26 yrs old  kids born at the same time as the internet have careers and kids of their own.   it's not by any stretch, new technology.  it baffles me that after all this time there are people who still don't know how to post a pic on a forum.    a google search returned 344,000,000 results.    i don't expect people to learn bb code, although it is helpful if you spend any time in forums.  however, you cant get more basic than  posting a pic,  or googling how to do...just about anything you could imagine

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, american cheez said:

i know folks like to be pleasant to others and all, but the truth is, the internet  is already 26 yrs old  kids born at the same time as the internet have careers and kids of their own.   it's not by any stretch, new technology.  it baffles me that after all this time there are people who still don't know how to post a pic on a forum.    a google search returned 344,000,000 results.    i don't expect people to learn bb code, although it is helpful if you spend any time in forums.  however, you cant get more basic than  posting a pic,  or googling how to do...just about anything you could imagine

I sense a generational gap...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, american cheez said:

You could have just gone outside and mowed your lawn, but you had to insult the rest of the Americans on here and then go outside and mow your lawn...  

22 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

You could have just gone outside and mowed your lawn, but you had to insult the rest of the Americans on here and then go outside and mow your lawn...  

AND STAY OFF MINE

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 11:22 AM, badbluesplayer said:

here is a couple of truths for you, like it or not. 

1) the truth is not an insult

2) reality is not an attack.

as you can see by the post you quoted, i knew people would get butt hurt.   too bad.   i notice while the two of you whined that i was being mean,  no one  was able to make the claim that anything i said was untrue or not correct.  well, i reject political correctness,  because it's stupid.    while  some folks feel we should powder everyone's bottom to be sure they don't get a rash,  i disagree. it takes ZERO effort to ask google how to do something.  an almost 30 year old system that has basically remain unchanged and people still think it's legit to claim they can't figure it out.

there are  things i can't play on my guitar. you know what i tell people when they ask why not, even though i've been playing for decades?  i tell them it's  because i don't practice often enough.  i tell them the truth instead of offering excuses.  it is my opinion  that  the rest of the world would do very well to adopt the same  tactic. 

also, i don;t need to cut my lawn anymore this year.  seasonal growth is done for this year.  now i  need to vacuum up all those darn leaves

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/21/2019 at 7:24 AM, american cheez said:

here is a couple of truths for you, like it or not. 

1) the truth is not an insult

2) reality is not an attack.

as you can see by the post you quoted, i knew people would get butt hurt.   too bad.   i notice while the two of you whined that i was being mean,  no one  was able to make the claim that anything i said was untrue or not correct.  well, i reject political correctness,  because it's stupid.    while  some folks feel we should powder everyone's bottom to be sure they don't get a rash,  i disagree. it takes ZERO effort to ask google how to do something.  an almost 30 year old system that has basically remain unchanged and people still think it's legit to claim they can't figure it out.

there are  things i can't play on my guitar. you know what i tell people when they ask why not, even though i've been playing for decades?  i tell them it's  because i don't practice often enough.  i tell them the truth instead of offering excuses.  it is my opinion  that  the rest of the world would do very well to adopt the same  tactic. 

also, i don;t need to cut my lawn anymore this year.  seasonal growth is done for this year.  now i  need to vacuum up all those darn leaves

Yeah, but being a d-bag isn't necessary in this particular situation.  You aren't the most polite guy on here.  You never were, right from the start.  But that's on you, not us.

• Upvote 1