Gibson Brands Forums

Don’t Believe The Hype

Fred0

For those contemplating a les paul, don’t believe that custom shop means anything. I bought a 56 reissue custom shop gold top online. The gold top has obvious milling/finishing issues and they couldn’t care less. The case was also very shoddy, and I think I may get a replacement for that. We’ll see. My advice? Don’t buy a guitar online. Also, don’t buy into the vaunted “gibson custom shop” bullshit. Hold the guitar in your hands and inspect it carefully.  Reputation means nothing anymore. Even for iconic brands.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Fred0 said:

The gold top has obvious milling/finishing issues and they couldn’t care less.

The milling and finishing have feelings?

Seriously though; obviously you have a great deal of experience when it comes to playing Les Pauls from the Custom Shop and your observations are, quite clearly, deserving of our greatest respect. Hardly any of us here have ever been so fortunate as to actually try out a CS Les Paul for ourselves so, for taking the trouble to post your fascinating thoughts and insights, we owe you a debt of gratitude which can never truly be repaid.

Thank you so very much for your wonderful post.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pippy said:

The milling and finishing have feelings?

Seriously though; obviously you have a great deal of experience when it comes to playing Les Pauls from the Custom Shop and your observations are, quite clearly, deserving of our greatest respect. Hardly any of us here have ever been so fortunate as to actually try out a CS Les Paul for ourselves so, for taking the trouble to post your fascinating thoughts and insights, we owe you a debt of gratitude which can never truly be repaid.

Thank you so very much for your wonderful post.

Pip.

36 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Your best one yet!!!!! 😂🤣

lol. Pip swung for the fences . this made my morning. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Funny, the OP doesn't get into specifics, just "milling/finishing  issues" Just a bit of troll work to stir up the pot? If not, do as BBP stated and send it back. Get a refund and buy a PRS.

Look at his profile..

1 post

Kinda tells ya where this thread will be going from here...  Hey were over due, we haven't had a troll post in about a year now...

• Upvote 1

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/91379/60th-anniversary-wildwood-spec-by-tom-murphy-1959-les-paul-standard-4/?cat_id=32

After reading this post.  I went onto Wildwood to look for faults o the CS guitars. My first guitar was a Tom Murphy LP at $7500! Look at the binding by the strap button. Not scraped properly and he's left stain on it.  Go to the 7th pic.  That isn't acceptable. 

Edited by LarryUK

4 minutes ago, LarryUK said:

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/91379/60th-anniversary-wildwood-spec-by-tom-murphy-1959-les-paul-standard-4/?cat_id=32

After reading this post.  I went onto Wildwood to look for faults o the CS guitars. My first guitar was a Tom Murphy LP at $7500! Look at the binding by the strap button. Not scraped properly and he's left stain on it.  Go to the 7th pic.  That isn't acceptable. 

On principle.  for that money,  I may have to agree.    I may not be as critical of things like that as you would be, but point taken.

6 minutes ago, LarryUK said:

maybe the stain is "period correct".