Gibson Brands Forums

$$$ Most Expensive axe? $$$

jimmiJAMM

I'm almost ashamed to say what it cost (10 years ago)' date=' so I won't. Let's just say I could have had a VERY nice used car instead.[/quote']

Aww, c'mon, now you gotta say. Nothing to be ashamed of, you're among friends here! Be proud of your passions. You have a beautiful collection there.

Has anyone had any or all of their guitars insured? Do you need a certificate of appraisal first? How does it work. Can they they be insured against loss' date=' damage, and theft?[/quote']

Insured mine as a separate homeowners policy.

State Farm.

Not the best deal, as they won't pay full replacement.

Been too lazy to shop around, but I know there are better deals out there.

Mine are insured...and let me tell you, it literally costs me nothing a year to insure them...$60. Don't ask how because I literally don't know myself. I photocopied all my receipts, handed them over along with pictures and they said $60/year.

I cant comprehend that.

Neither can I...lol

My L-5 is the most expensive guitar I ever bought. I'm almost ashamed to say what it cost (10 years ago)' date=' so I won't. Let's just say I could have had a VERY nice used car instead.[/quote']

Yeah but according to Gibson this guitar will outlive you. Most cars won´t. My oldest guitar is 30 years old (Gibson "The SG"), the Les Paul in my avatar is 24. I don´t know anyone personally driving a car of that age.

Highest price I ever payed for a guitar was 2450.- Euros for the Angus Young Signature SG. Back then the Euro was 1:1 to the dollar. A lot of money, but the guitar is worth it to me.

No extra insurance. The insurance guy told me that it is covered by the insurance for household goods in general that I have.

Greetings

Kurt

Has anyone had any or all of their guitars insured? Do you need a certificate of appraisal first? How does it work. Can they they be insured against loss' date=' damage, and theft?[/quote']

You will have to shop around because different companies handle this type of thing in different ways. Some will put it under your home owners policy or they may issue a seperate "collectables" or "addidtional coverage" policy. It will depend on how likely it is that each guitar can be replaced. If you have a guitar that was a custom run and say only 30 were made it could be considerd impossible to replace so it will have to go under a seperate "collectable" policy and that can get very expensive.

Archived