Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Pickup Slants When Lowered

AntonBolthaus

This is very common. Sometimes you can fix it by turning the springs the other way round I’d one end is wider that the other. Failing that then taking a pair of pliers to the pickup legs and bending the ears slightly will fix it.

its only a cosmetic issue though. The effect in tone is negligible.

Edited by Vinnie1971
Added sentence

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Put a piece of foam under it. Like on Jazz Basses.

I guess I don't understand how this fixes the issue.  My problem isn't that the pickup is falling forward on its own.  When I tighten or loosen the pickup height adjustment screws, only that one side of the pickup moves.  The side with the poles always stays at the same spot.  I'll be taking a closer look when I change strings next, but was hoping that someone had identified the exact reason that this happens if it is so common.  Any other ideas?  I'll post what I find out once I take stuff apart.

16 hours ago, Vinnie1971 said:

This is very common. Sometimes you can fix it by turning the springs the other way round I’d one end is wider that the other. Failing that then taking a pair of pliers to the pickup legs and bending the ears slightly will fix it.

its only a cosmetic issue though. The effect in tone is negligible.

If the poles are technically angled, how would that not affect tone?  I know it would be minor, but it should still slightly affect tone.  I will definitely experiment with the spring and the legs and see if that helps resolve the issue.  Thanks for the insight!

18 hours ago, brad1 said:

Could you turn the pu around?

Have the poles on the other side?

Thanks for the suggestion.  If all else fails I might give this a shot.  I feel like having the pole pieces slightly closer to the bridge will brighten up this already bright guitar.  So I'm hoping adjusting the legs and/or spring will resolve instead.  If not, I'll try turning the pickup around and see what happens.  Thanks!

29 minutes ago, AntonBolthaus said:

I guess I don't understand how this fixes the issue.  My problem isn't that the pickup is falling forward on its own.  When I tighten or loosen the pickup height adjustment screws, only that one side of the pickup moves.  The side with the poles always stays at the same spot.  I'll be taking a closer look when I change strings next, but was hoping that someone had identified the exact reason that this happens if it is so common.  Any other ideas?  I'll post what I find out once I take stuff apart.

If you just want the pup to look the the other one, put a piece of foam under the side that is dipping down so it will not be able to lay at that angle. It wont affect sound. It's like shimming one side just with soft  foam. But yours is extreme.  You may have to trim the foam to get it at just the right thickness.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AntonBolthaus said:

As the attached picture shows, when I try to lower my neck pickup, only the side opposite the poles lowers. So really the poles never adjust unless I were to lower the individual poles. Anyone else have this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

AAE0E287-9B67-4883-8B90-7BB7BD33C43C.jpeg

I had that happen on an old Les Paul I had and what I did was loosen the ring around the pup and pressed lightly on the pup till it bottomed out and let go quickly and it popped up. than re adjusted the pup.  Hope that's helps

Edited by labomba
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, labomba said:

I had that happen on an old Les Paul I had and what I did was loosen the ring around the pup and pressed lightly on the pup till it bottomed out and let go quickly and it popped up. than re adjusted the pup.  Hope that's helps

I'm willing to bet this will do the trick.

• Thanks 1

Best to see what's snagging inside the pickup cavity. Loosen the strings enough so you can remove the pickup unit. Unscrew the four screws on the pickup ring and see why it's snagging. It could just be the PU leads are bunched up or the cavity is not routed clean. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you just want the pup to look the the other one, put a piece of foam under the side that is dipping down so it will not be able to lay at that angle. It wont affect sound. It's like shimming one side just with soft  foam. But yours is extreme.  You may have to trim the foam to get it at just the right thickness.

Thanks for the insight. I’ll keep this in mind!

6 hours ago, labomba said:

Thanks so much! I’ll check this out. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eracer_Team said:

There are 2 points for the pickup to pivot on.

Put a block of foam in the pickup cavety when the pickup is lowered it compresses the foam and keeps the pickup from twisting 

That is a good idea why didn't I post that?