Gibson Brands Forums

blues jr - reverb

uncle fester

Folks - I've got a blues jr that the reverb doesn't seem as strong as it once did.  This is an amp I've had for 20 yrs, and sat for several years at a time.  Do these amps need tune ups, and does it make sense the reverb may be going?

Edited by uncle fester

I don't know enough about how a reverb tank works to know what might wear out.  But there are some springs in there, and I suppose after years they could get a little slack.  You need Bad Blues Player to weigh in - he repairs and refurbishes those things (Blues Juniors) all the time.

Can be as simple as the connections oxidizing over all that time.  Disconnect it, vigorously put the little things on and off, make sure they are clean.

Can be the driver for the reverb.  I don't remember if that one is tube driven or not, but that pre tube, a 12ax or other, may be slacking up on you.  If it's been that long in the same state it is probably a good time to re-tube it anyway.

rct

• Thanks 1

From what I have read one of the most common culprits is oxidation on the RCA connectors on the tank, cleaning them may help.

The connector cables are soldered directly to the main circuit board and are driven by a Microchip, not tube powered. If this is the problem a repairman would be needed.

Also if the amp has been sitting for a long time the springs running the length of the tank could be sagging, test by turning the amp on its side to see if reverb response improves. If it does improve you may have sagging springs or foreign material in the tank.

The reverb tank is normally mounted with 4 screws on bushings and usually has enough cable to remove it without disconnecting for testing or inspection.

If the springs are sagging you may get it to work by adding shims under the mounting points. 

Its not that difficult to find a new tank to replace it with.

badbluesplayer would be an excellent resource on this..

Edited by mihcmac

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

MF'in Reverb Tank. Fender clean - good. Fender reverb - never cared for it. Seems like it has 2 settings, barely there or playing 4000 feet inside a cave. My Blues Jr, HR Deluxe and Deville all were dogs. In the reverb department. The DeVille was punishing loud.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I had a De Ville & absolutely hated it... It was louder than I needed & it didn't have a good Sound..

Some of the Fender FSR Tweed Blues Jr. with certain Speakers sound quite good..

Tubes usually outlast Fender Reverb Tanks.... At least in my experience with several Fender Amps.. I learned the hard way.. Took one of my Twin Amps to the local Amp Repair because the Reverb was making funny noise.. They replaced a couple Tubes.. Cost about $50-$60.. It seemed ok until I got it home... 

I researched Forums & it was suggested it was the Reverb Tank. Which cost $26.00...  So I ordered a new one.. Took about a half hour to swap out the old & install the new one.. It's been perfect ever since... The  old Tubes were fine but the new ones weren't returnable...

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, really appreciate all the input.  With everything posted above I should be able to figure this thing out.  I'm away at the moment but once get back and can tackle this will post an update.

FWIW...  I never really used much reverb, it's more the fact it's not there that's urking me.  Once I can get it fixed, I'll be able to decide I don't like to use it again. 

• Haha 1