Gibson Brands Forums

NGD at last

Rabs

I didn't even know Ringwood had such a shop. Just had a peek at their website (nice Ric 660). I've visited Ringwood a couple of times. Brewery tours with workmates etc.

I've had a couple of guitars of similar construction to the 336 & they do have a distinctly different feel to traditional builds. So I get the attraction. [thumbup]

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2020 at 4:50 PM, Twang Gang said:

Congratulations!!  So glad you found one - and it is a beauty.  Exactly what you were looking for with the slim taper neck and Classic '57s.  I believe with these custom shop guitars the first number is the year.  The 356 I have was built in 2017 and the number starts CS 7XXXXX.  I can't quite see from the photo if yours starts with a 5 or a 6 so it could be a 2005/6 or a 2015/16?  If you email Gibson I'm sure they can tell you exactly when it was built.

And yes it should be kept in the case when you are not playing (as should your LPs as well)!!!

So happy for you - play and enjoy 👍 

I did double check with Gibson and it is a 2010..  Heres the official spec sheet they sent for it if anyone is interested.

CS-336

Body:

Top wood: Figured maple

Back wood: Tonally carved mahogany back,

sides and centerblock

Dimensions: 13 3/4" (W) X 16" (L) X 1 11/16" (D)

Binding: Single-ply cream on top and back

Colors: Ebony, Faded Cherry, Vintage Sunburst,

Tangerineburst, Trans Amber

Neck:

Neck construction: 1-piece mahogany

Fingerboard wood: 22 fret rosewood

Inlays: Pearloid dot

Binding: Single-ply cream

Profile: 1960 slim taper

Scale length/Nut width: 24 3/4"; 1 11/16"

Electronics & Hardware:

Pickups: '57 Classic humbuckers

Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switch

Hardware color: Nickel

Bridge/Tailpiece: ABR-1/Stopbar

• Thanks 1

Gave her a good setup and stuff tonight.. 

Fretboard wasnt too bad really

5EdcbqQ.jpg

But got her nice and wet  [unsure]

1tM5M2T.jpg

And it freshens up nicely

ifUTvS8.jpg

JjqLU2r.jpg

VERY nicely cut nut... Good job custom guys.. Thats how you do it

3OSHbsk.jpg

NOICEE!

WC5Utq5.jpg

Also changed the strings (obviously)...  Absolute perfect intonation, didnt need to change a thing there..  Very very well made instrument (as it should be really).

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update..

I am totally in love with this guitar..  It is perfect.. The sound, playability, feel and look.. 

Was just having another play... Its one of those guitars that inspires me to play different stuff. The sustain on the thing is mad...

So yes..  Frikken awesome..  Totally advise anyone to try one of these.. Even if you have no intention of buying one..  Its almost a revelation and I wonder why this model doesnt get much attention.  Wasnt the Midtown built in the same way?  Makes me almost sad I missed out on those.. Remember the midtown custom?

G98UELw.jpgg46ANYA.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rabs said:

Wasnt the Midtown built in the same way?  Makes me almost sad I missed out on those.. Remember the midtown custom?

Kaiser Bill bought a Midtown Custom and IIRC he wasn't very impressed by it.   I can't remember why - they look good.

Glad you’re loving it Rabs. I can’t stop coming back to look at the pics 😎

The Midtown really kinda came and went quickly didn’t it? I thought it was from 2015 but apparently they were introduced in 2011. The Midtown had a flat top and back, unbound back, control access plate on the back, richilite fretboard, and at least for me seemed to come at a time when Gibson was doing kinda weird things that I wasn’t into. On another superficial note I think the name “Midtown” is really terrible and sounds like an Oldsmobile model your grandma takes to church on sundays 

I’m curious how that sold for Gibson and if they will ever bring it back. Overall though the 336 is just in another league and you clearly made the better choice

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Glad you’re loving it Rabs. I can’t stop coming back to look at the pics 😎

The Midtown really kinda came and went quickly didn’t it? I thought it was from 2015 but apparently they were introduced in 2011. The Midtown had a flat top and back, unbound back, control access plate on the back, richilite fretboard, and at least for me seemed to come at a time when Gibson was doing kinda weird things that I wasn’t into. On another superficial note I think the name “Midtown” is really terrible and sounds like an Oldsmobile model your grandma takes to church on sundays 

I’m curious how that sold for Gibson and if they will ever bring it back. Overall though the 336 is just in another league and you clearly made the better choice

Oh yeah, I am not saying its the same thing..   But from what I remember the Midtowns were pretty cheap.. Something like £1200...  For that price they are an amazing deal.

On 12/19/2020 at 11:27 PM, Rabs said:

Update..

I am totally in love with this guitar..  It is perfect.. The sound, playability, feel and look.. 

Its one of those guitars that inspires me to play different stuff. 

Its almost a revelation and I wonder why this model doesn't get much attention. 

Well one reason is that Gibson never promoted them that much and they only make them off and on so that aren't that many out there.  When they were introduced Gibson made a few splashes of publicity mostly about the unique construction.  My theory is that they realized if they really promoted them and they got popular, sales of many of their other models would drop dramatically.  Does it do everything a Les Paul does?  Not quite, but almost, and close enough for rock n roll.  Does it do everything a 335 does?  Yes and more.  Does it do everything a 175 or other jazz box does?  Pretty much.  You just don't need a lot of guitars if you have one of these.

I am so glad you are enjoying playing it and that it inspires you.  Try some of the early to mid sixties Mersey Beat stuff - all those guys played semi hollows back then and your 336 will sound just a little better than they did 🙂   

• Like 2

Weird,. That 356 that I was originally going to buy that went out of stock is now back cos really I wanted a new one if possible... Odd

Not that I have any regrets at all, I love my 336..  Funny how stuff like that works sometimes cos if I had bought the 356 I would never have found the 336 I really wanted.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Deadbeat buyer.  

That's how I got that white SG with the gold hardware: low ball bid, gone, kicked myself for being such a cheap idiot, it turned up a week later and MINE!!!

Well that guitar is in a proper guitar shop.. But also up on Reverb...  So I dont think  it was an auction... Maybe someone bought it and didnt like it and just sent it back? Who knows..  I know it has a different neck size to the 336, slightly larger...

That is an amazing guitar. If it sounds as good as it looks it must be an inspirational instrument. I bought a 335 a few years ago and I understand why they were called burst killers back in the day. Awesome guitars. Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of that one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1