Gibson Brands Forums

NAMM 2021: JC Curleigh Talks What's New at Gibson

Rabs

If they paid me $100, I'd give them the advice they don't want to hear.

1) You can't be a real guitar factory if you don't make amps.  Look at history.  2) And lose the distorted and compressed background music.  Compression is not iconic.  3) Lose Kramer, the speaker company you bought and the other brands of stuff that are just "on the balance sheet".  Gawd, what a distraction!  You money people are just too much!!  That's like me buying a Bugera 20 amp and talking about how iconic it is.  Puhleeeeze!  4)  Other stuff too, but I tend to lose focus and it's time for breakfast.

Have a nice day, Gibson.  I'll still be buying some guitar or other of yours again soon.  You guys were supposed to be the ones to come in and make all the money on somebody else's failure.  Don't mess it up!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

If they paid me $100, I'd give them the advice they don't want to hear.

1) You can't be a real guitar factory if you don't make amps.  Look at history.  2) And lose the distorted and compressed background music.  Compression is not iconic.  3) Lose Kramer, the speaker company you bought and the other brands of stuff that are just "on the balance sheet".  Gawd, what a distraction!  You money people are just too much!!  That's like me buying a Bugera 20 amp and talking about how iconic it is.  Puhleeeeze!  4)  Other stuff too, but I tend to lose focus and it's time for breakfast.

Have a nice day, Gibson.  I'll still be buying some guitar or other of yours again soon.  You guys were supposed to be the ones to come in and make all the money on somebody else's failure.  Don't mess it up!

Nice. Agree. Make guitars that is what you do. If I said that. It would be a week of banishment no questions asked.

Does he own Gibson or Rolling Stone magazine. Hey where are all the Canadian bands albums behind you. If you have ever watched Trailer Park Boys as Bubbles says many times "Oh, That's Greasy"

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

I thought that speech was very good and compelling.  

What is the CEO of a company going to say?

"Don't buy our stuff, we make garbage, maybe you should look at some Fenders, I hear their stuff is much better"

KRK the little yellow speaker that could. What about the LP speakers they used to sell, I guess they  were the little Burst speaker that couldn't?

GFChvb3.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What is the CEO of a company going to say?

"Don't buy our stuff, we make garbage, maybe you should look at some Fenders, I hear their stuff is much better"

KRK the little yellow speaker that could. What about the LP speakers they used to sell, I guess they  were the little Burst speaker that couldn't?

GFChvb3.jpg

weve just had bright ideas. we shall raise our hands in submission

Curleigh was CEO at Levi Straus in San Francisco before moving to Gibson.  They make more than jeans, so I'm guessing he is aware of the concept of having multiple product lines - if they leverage each other. As he suggests amps leverage their electric guitar bread & butter product line.   I'm guessing  he knows less about guitar playing than most here - but he wasn't hired to play. They would have hired Tommy Emmanuel if that's what they thought would save the company.  Instead they  'partner' with Slash, et al.    But -  I'm betting he's smart enough to know electrics and acoustics are two different guitars, and two different product lines though.  And buying MesaBoogie is smarter than trying to build your own Amp Division to compete with them and everyone else.   His job is to grow the company (product line by product line) so as to create more cash which can then be used to grow further - including by investing more resources into 'guitars'.    

"A man's gotta know his limitations."  (from another San Fransisco relic "Magnum Force") :    It appears Gibson isn't jumping back into Banjos after losing that entire facility to the Nashville Flood ten years ago. Obviously the Pandemic has been a boon to Gibson Electrics, but not their banjos.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Curleigh was CEO at Levi Straus in San Francisco before moving to Gibson.  They make more than jeans, so I'm guessing he is aware of the concept of having multiple product lines - if they leverage each other. As he suggests amps leverage their electric guitar bread & butter product line.   I'm guessing  he knows less about guitar playing than most here - but he wasn't hired to play. They would have hired Tommy Emmanuel if that's what they thought would save the company.  Instead they  'partner' with Slash, et al.    But -  I'm betting he's smart enough to know electrics and acoustics are two different guitars, and two different product lines though.  And buying MesaBoogie is smarter than trying to build your own Amp Division to compete with them and everyone else.   His job is to grow the company (product line by product line) so as to create more cash which can then be used to grow further - including by investing more resources into 'guitars'.    

"A man's gotta know his limitations."  (from another San Fransisco relic "Magnum Force") :    It appears Gibson isn't jumping back into Banjos after losing that entire facility to the Nashville Flood ten years ago. Obviously the Pandemic has been a boon to Gibson Electrics, but not their banjos.   

Unless JC has dual citizenship he can't vote in this country. But Neil Young can. Yes I know JC was Levi's CEO. Don't forget he was in Brand Marketing for Mars/M&M in the UK.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

...His job is to grow the company (product line by product line) so as to create more cash which can then be used to grow further - including by investing more resources into 'guitars'.    

His job is to generate the cash required to pay back the bondholders.  Once that happens they can begin to think about getting out from under bondholder ownership.  That will involve re-establishing supply relationships that are solid and not all 50 mil in debt, developing better retail relationships, and determining future ownership.  Then they have to get out from under whatever weird financial relationships with the previous head of the company and his "team".  THEN they can think about growing their business.

It looks like a glorious new future at the moment, but it is really a glorious attempt at stitching up what went so terribly wrong for them, the glorious future is quite a ways off.

rct

5 hours ago, Pinch said:

What, no more "lifestyle brand"? Boo. The shot glasses didn't sell? 

Being a philanthropist playboy and outlaw biker is a lifestyle. Last I checked Gibson makes guitars and has their hand in other pots as well. How was making guitars ever a life style. If you make  instruments its your job and you didn't make it a lifestyle.

We had to fire the head of the lifestyle department last week, we caught him sniffing a Fender Strat in the back room.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Being philanthropist playboy and outlaw biker is a lifestyle. Last I checked Gibson makes guitars and has their hand in other pots as well. How is making guitars a life style. If you make  instruments its your job and you didn't make lifestyles.

Mm. I never figured out WTH "lifestyle brand" meant there, and I suspect no one else did either. 

Then there was the "Modern V"... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Mm. I never figured out WTH "lifestyle brand" meant there, and I suspect no one else did either. 

Then there was the "Modern V"... 

It was a dumb saying Henry's team of crack marketing geniuses came up with to make us idiots think we all need to buy their stupid swag, like phone cases and bar stools. Anyone who wants a lifestyle can go to the link below. What about the Firebird X. Oh the excavator crushing horror.

https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Lifestyle

Edited by Sgt. Pepper