Gibson Brands Forums

Derby Day

rct

29 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Well, I watched an ant crawl across my front porch, which is far more interesting to me than a horse race.  Never understood the attraction. [confused]

Whitefang

It's all the rich people that can afford to own a fast horse and the southern belles in those big hats.

On 5/2/2021 at 9:42 AM, Whitefang said:

Well, I watched an ant crawl across my front porch, which is far more interesting to me than a horse race.  Never understood the attraction. [confused]

Whitefang

But did that ant cross your front porch in two minutes racing against other ants?

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2021 at 3:42 PM, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

When you're watching from the finish line and they round the corner into the home straight....you start to hear it and feel it, literally feel it through the ground. 

I am not a 'punter' at all, nor do I ride, but the power and speed of a thoroughbred at full stretch is just so impressive IMO. 

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

When you're watching from the finish line and they round the corner into the home straight....you start to hear it and feel it, literally feel it through the ground. 

I am not a 'punter' at all, nor do I ride, but the power and speed of a thoroughbred at full stretch is just so impressive IMO. 

This.  Long ago in another life we had the Atlantic City Race Course.  It was an awesome date night, 8 - 10 races, throw down two dollars each of us on something to win, enjoy some food and beverage.  Even hit it once in a while.  There is nothing like being on the fence when they come around that last turn.

It's been rotting into the ground for decades now.  Pathetic.

rct

5 hours ago, rct said:

This.  Long ago in another life we had the Atlantic City Race Course.  It was an awesome date night, 8 - 10 races, throw down two dollars each of us on something to win, enjoy some food and beverage.  Even hit it once in a while.  There is nothing like being on the fence when they come around that last turn.

It's been rotting into the ground for decades now.  Pathetic.

rct

In 1981 when I visited my relatives in Clifton , NJ we went to the track one night in East Rutherford where the old Giant Stadium was and the Brendon Byrne Arena. Me and my cousin saw Styx at the Byrne Arena on the Paradise Theater Tour when I was out there. We had killer floor seats. That trip was the first time I ever had White Castle's.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 5/2/2021 at 8:47 AM, fortyearspickn said:

For some reason, Bourbon gives me heartburn.  Scotch, Irish, Tequila, even Canadian go down fine.    

Soda used to do that with me so I gave it up. Now, I'm starting to get heartburn back again once in awhile, not sure what causes it?  Maybe caffein? Coffee? 

11 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

If you really want to know, make an appointment with a  Gastrointestinal doctor.  Be prepared to possibly come back for an EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy) which is when they basically stick a camera down your throat to look at the upper part of your gastrointestinal tract.   It's like a colonoscopy, but coming from the other side. 

GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a very common cause of the symptom you know as "heartburn".   If not treated, the acid can begin to erode your esophagus.  A lot of people don't even know it's happening while they are sleeping and over time it can become a bigger problem.  The good news is there is a whole category of medications they can use to treat GERD.   Some of those meds are over-the-counter.  They are called PPIs (proton pump inhibitors).  Some of them I'm sure you have heard of:

Types of PPIs
Omeprazole (Prilosec), also available over-the-counter (without a prescription)
Esomeprazole (Nexium), also available over-the-counter (without a prescription)
Lansoprazole (Prevacid), also available over-the-counter (without a prescription)
Rabeprazole (Aciphex)
Pantoprazole (Protonix)

Source: I worked in a GI Doctors office for 3 years.  

I used to suffer from heartburn/GERD.  Now I take 40mg of Pantoprazole every day and don't lie down within two hours of eating; no more heartburn.

• Like 1

Cripes!  PROTONIX?  [omg]

When I left the hospital after my "mini" stroke, I was given a small fistful of prescriptions.  Protonix was among them.  I had no idea what it was or what it was for, and a nurse simply said it was for GERD.  I had no idea what THAT was either, but left anyway and turned it in to my local pharmacy.  Upon picking it(and the others) up I was informed that, with insurance coverage, the co-pay for it was $95!!   THEN I decided to ask what it was and what for and was told "acid reflux".  Something  I NEVER experienced and still haven't(knock wood!  [wink] ).  So I left it there.  All the other prescriptions (four in all) were only $5-$10 each. 

Whitefang

On 5/5/2021 at 10:17 AM, Mr. Natural said:

I used to suffer from heartburn/GERD.  Now I take 40mg of Pantoprazole every day and don't lie down within two hours of eating; no more heartburn.

Well I got that covered Lol. I eat dinner around 5:30 and don't lay down to sleep till around midnight. Haha. 

• Like 1

My maternal grandmother was from Louisville. I was willed a set of four silver mint julep cups. Every year I make mint juleps on Derby Day and toast her memory. I've moved away from Woodford Reserve to Basil Hayden as my bourbon of choice.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, zigzag said:

My maternal grandmother was from Louisville. I was willed a set of four silver mint julep cups. Every year I make mint juleps on Derby Day and toast her memory. I've moved away from Woodford Reserve to Basil Hayden as my bourbon of choice.

Basil is smooth as baby s-hit.