Gibson Brands Forums

Who plays a bass and which ones do you have?

bigtim

42 minutes ago, Fish Crumpet said:

'First' string is top E. 'Sixth' string is bottom E. Ergo, first four are the high four — DGBE.

It depends on what you mean by “top” or bottom. I was referring to the strings physical placement on the fretboard.  
And therefore I would be correct.  
And the guy who I was answering understood perfectly. 

7 hours ago, bigtim said:

Yes on 4 string exact same as guitar. However the 5 and 6 string basses are not. 

Yep.  I use standard 6 string bass tuning on my Ibanez (BEADGC).   All symmetrical perfect 4ths.  No pesky Major 3rds to mess with one’s mind.  😀  Squier does make a 6 string bass that is tuned EADGBE, down one octave.  Also, I thought Ibanez had a SR Series 6 string based tuned like a guitar, but I couldn’t find the model.

• Like 1

I began on a Fender Mustang bass & in 1977 bought a 1974 Rickenbacker 4001, which has been the only bass I have played on a regular basis. To me , nothing else comes close.

I have had the frets done 3 times & it still plays incredibly well. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

qdvBObE.jpg?1

Me playing the Ric 4001 back in the '70's: (Those were good times!)

Z4B3CtL.jpg

Edited by Brytam
  • Like 2

Well.... thought I'd show photos of my two basses.

The Jazz Bass I got in 1965, I think.

The P-Bass I got from a guy who evicted some guys from a house he had and they left it under the bed.... think I got it early 80's.

May be an image of one or more people, motorcycle and outdoors

May be an image of Robert Birdwell, playing a musical instrument, standing and guitar

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Yep.  I use standard 6 string bass tuning on my Ibanez (BEADGC).   All symmetrical perfect 4ths.  No pesky Major 3rds to mess with one’s mind.  😀  Squier does make a 6 string bass that is tuned EADGBE, down one octave.  Also, I thought Ibanez had a SR Series 6 string based tuned like a guitar, but I couldn’t find the model.

If I ever buy a bass it will be 4 string.  As a teen I had a banjo but sold it when I married in 79. 

16 hours ago, brad1 said:

EADG are the FIRST 4 strings on a 6 string   , not the bottom.  

#-o

"Bottom" in terms of lowest-in-pitch strings.  Low E is the bottom string.

Most people refer to the high E string on a guitar as the first string.  Including the string manufacturers.  Every packet of bass strings lists the lightest string first. 

https://www.cyberfretbass.com/beginner-bass-lessons/bass-guitar-notes/

But anyway........call them what you like and string it how you like, eh?

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

The bottom 4 strings - E A D G ........for me anyway.  Some bassists tune a bit lower especially if they have a 5-string.

Yeah, it’s just 4 Strings, how hard can it be?

Just watch James Jamerson... Or Paul Mc Cartney... LOL..

Edited by Larsongs

I'm probably a better bass player than a guitar player. 

This is unfortunate. But what you gonna do. 

I know he's dead wrong, but it's still a funny quote: Dave Mustaine once quipped "it's one step up from playing the kazoo". 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I know he's dead wrong, but it's still a funny quote: Dave Mustaine once quipped "it's one step up from playing the kazoo". 

The Kazoo is HARD!

On 5/26/2021 at 10:53 PM, Pinch said:

I tried playing the Chris Squire bass line from 'Roundabout' on a kazoo ... it didn't sound good.

• Like 1