Gibson Brands Forums

Brood X Cicada watch....people in Eastern US

saturn

Anyone have them emerge in your area yet? I've found a few shells in my yard but no major emergence yet. I've been to other neighborhoods and they are out loud and strong. 

Anyone try eating them? Last time back in 2004, I had some friends who went to an Orioles/Yankees game at Camden Yards and the O's and Yanks fans were trying to outdo each other by seeing who would eat the most cicadas as they were flying everywhere and landing on everyone. 😀

For those who never heard of Brood X, it's a type of cicada that boroughs in the ground and emerges by the billions every 17 years in the Spring. We have the regular ones that come every year as Autumn starts setting in. Those are bigger but not nearly as numerous.   

Edited by saturn

I was up in Philly all day Wednesday and didn't see or hear a one, none a couple miles over the bridge at my brother's house.  None down here by the shore, we don't expect them.

rct

At about 1:30 in the video it shows a map of where they will emerge.  South Carolina is bordered by NC and Georgia, but it doesn't show that they will be here?  Doesn't make sense to me.  I hear Cicadas just about every summer here in SC, but not in the Biblical proportions that they are talking about for this emergence.  We  used to get them every 17 years in Illinois when I lived up there, but here in SC we seem to have some every year.  The ones they are talking about will start to sing and chirp around sundown, but usually stop when it gets totally dark.  I hear them around me during the day, but not yet so far this year.   

Edited by Twang Gang

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, saturn said:

Now they're putting out PSA to not drive with windows down. People are wrecking their cars when they get hit in the face by them. 😱

I know they have wings and are insects and every summer since moving to VA I hear them, but I have never seen one fly. I have see the dead carcass's of them after they have done their thing. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

You've never seen one fly?  Out here in TX, we get them but not like back east.  But when they're "in season" here, I see them in flight all the time.

I did see a news story about a woman who ran her car into a telephone pole (I think) when a cicada flew in her window and hit her in the face.

I've never, except for photos and videotape, seen a cicada.  HEARD them plenty over the years, but see one?  Nah.  The local news claimed they're getting bad around these parts, but I haven't heard a thing.  OR seen anything yet.

Whitefang

I played an outdoor gig this afternoon in the parking lot of a shopping center. We had them landing on us and flying in our face the whole time. And the sound was almost as loud as the PA.

http://i.imgur.com/ZOgqkxe.jpg

P.S. I deleted the {img} and it still won't embed the f@cking photo!  [confused] Even deleted the S [cool]

Edited by saturn

They land on me when I am outside. You can see their dead carcasses stuck in peoples’ car grills. No point in a car wash until they go away.

All said I am enjoying them a lot and they are fun to watch. They kinda fly clumsy like bumble bees. When they land on the water the turtles come runnin to snarf them up!!

• Like 1

I think they're just about squirted out around here as it's quiet outside.

It sounds like they had a good time while they were at it.

I stand corrected, they just had to warm up a bit, they're back at it.

Edited by SteveFord

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 10:59 PM, saturn said:

I played an outdoor gig this afternoon in the parking lot of a shopping center. We had them landing on us and flying in our face the whole time. And the sound was almost as loud as the PA.

http://i.imgur.com/ZOgqkxe.jpg

P.S. I deleted the {img} and it still won't embed the f@cking photo!  [confused] Even deleted the S [cool]

Here's the photo working now. It's just a matter of principle.  🙂

ZOgqkxe.jpg

• Like 2