Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite songs that you like to play

RBSinTo

Based on many posts it is clear that this site hosts musicians with very eclectic musical tastes.  And so, I thought it might be interesting to list, say five favorite songs that you enjoy playing. Not everyone has recording equipment, which is why I suggest listing the songs.

Me?

In no partcular order of preference,

"Scotch and Soda"-original composer unknown, scored by Dave Guard of the Kingston Trio

"I'm Easy"-Keith Carridine

"Desperado"-Eagles

"Till there was you"-as covered by the Beatles, composed by Meredith Willson

"Witchita lineman"-Glen Campbell

RBSinTo

I don't do covers very much. Seems like I'm always trying to work on improving something of my own, but when I do play covers, here are a few I like:

I'll be Here in the Morning - Townes van Zandt

Tomorrow is a Long Time - Bob Dylan

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle - The Smiths

I Still Miss Someone - Johnny Cash

Friday I'm in Love - The Cure

Lars

I am pretty fickle complicated by the fact I have the attention span of a gnat.

As of late though five  tunes I have been playing a lot and having a blast with are:

"Spike Driver Blues" - Mississippi John Hurt

"Sugar Babe (Its All Over Now)" -Mance Lipscomb

"Untrue Blues" - Blind Boy Fuller

"New Speedway Boogie" - The Grateful Dead

"Black Horse Blues" - Blind Lemon Jefferson

The one song I have been wanting to tear into for a long time is  "Coming in on a Wing and a Prayer" as recorded by the amazing Bahamian guitar player  Joseph  Spence.  This may be the one that finally gets me to download something like Seventh String or Amazing Slow Down.  Take a listen.

Coming in on a wing and a prayer - YouTube

Edited by zombywoof

22 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

I don't do covers very much. Seems like I'm always trying to work on improving something of my own, but when I do play covers, here are a few I like:

Lars

I have never been able to write  songs.  I gave it a try back in the day.  Came up with wonders as "Woman of the World" (we had a lady singer) with memorable lines such as "You're like a cat on a line.  You got good balance but there ain't no mice to find."

Edited by zombywoof

Summer Wages - Ian Tyson

Souvenirs - John Prine

One Too Many Mornings - Bob Dylan

Rachel -  Jim Ringer

The Hobo's Last Ride - Hank Snow

Rambler/Gambler - Traditional, but the version I do was stolen from Tom Russell who stole it from Ian Tyson

Edited by PrairieSchooner

I play a wide array of stuff at gigs. Some of my faves:

Windy and Warm (Loudermilk)

The Water is Wide (traditional)

Shuckin' Sugar (Blind Lemon)

The Entertainer (Joplin)

Silver Swan (Joplin)

2 hours ago, jt said:

I play a wide array of stuff at gigs. Some of my faves:

Windy and Warm (Loudermilk)

The Water is Wide (traditional)

Shuckin' Sugar (Blind Lemon)

The Entertainer (Joplin)

Silver Swan (Joplin)

I wish I could play rags near as well as you do.  I stick with the  Piedmont guitar players takes on them such as Rev, Gary Davis' "Cincinnati Flow Rag" and Blind Boy Fuller's "Rag Mama Rag".   I do not know if you recall it but back in the day when Eric Schoenberg was still playing the coffee houses he was an amazing ragtime player.  

Edited by zombywoof

42 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I wish I could play rags near as well as you do.  I stick with the  Piedmont guitar players takes on them such as Rev, Gary Davis' "Cincinnati Flow Rag" and Blind Boy Fuller's "Rag Mama Rag".   I do not know if you recall it but back in the day when Eric Schoenberg was still playing the coffee houses he was an amazing ragtime player.  

I love RGD and BBF!

Yes, I know of Eric Schoenberg's wonderful playing, especially with his cousin, Dave Laibman. Eric has become a good friend.

This is an easy question to answer.

As I've said many times in the past, I have about 400 songs in my repertoire.... but when people asked me to play, I always did the same 20 songs or so.   Just before I retired, (I retired one year ago TODAY!), I decided to video every song in my repertoire.   At the time I considered the @ 200 songs in my chart book my repertoire...and I knocked those out relatively quickly..... but then I found on old chart book of songs that I hadn't done in 30+ years.    So, I have about 385 song up on YouTube with maybe 15-20 more do do in that old chart book.

My favorite?    The next song I'm learning!

Most of my playing is really more about me wanting to sing a song and enjoying singing. My playing is quite average on its own.

That said, one of the songs I love to perform most with my buddy, whether the crowd likes it or not, is Cumberland Blues.

And Kudos above for the highlighting of Summer Wages. Love that  tune.

I've been thinking about this one all week. A couple of these I only do when nobody's home to witness. I made a mini rule for myself and this post - no Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Petty, Springsteen, Isbell, Seger, Cash, Dylan or Skynyrd.

White Rabbit  - Jefferson Airplane

Out in the Country - Three Dog night

Just to Know What you've Been Dreaming - Will Johnson

Thank You - Led Zeppelin as performed by Chris Cornell

Red Hill Mining Town - U2

Long as I Can See The Light - CCR as performed by Ted Hawkins if he had been playing guitar as I think he might have

Edited by BoSoxBiker

I've been arranging some stuff for a  campfire singalong in a couple weeks.    And yes, I'll be playing my Gibson - it's my only guitar.   These are my buddies from high school, and we've been doing this once a summer for over 30 years now (except last summer!).    So, its a lot of stuff we grew up with as Canadians in the 80's and 90's, some stuff that many people here probably haven't heard much of such as The Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, and 54-40.   There will also be some Springsteen, Smiths, Bowie, Beatles, Oasis, New Order, U2, Tom Petty, etc.  I noticed 'Red Hill Mining Town' - that's a new one in my setlist, actually.    Otherwise, a lot of these songs I only ever play once a year, because otherwise I'm working on fingerpicking stuff.   This spring I decided to have a go at hybrid picking,  so I've been arranging a lot of these songs with a new style.  It's actually been a lot of fun.   So these are the ones I've really enjoyed working on recently:

1.  A medley of 'Grace, Too', 'Thugs', and 'Eldorado' - The Tragically Hip

2.  'Ceremony' - New Order

3. 'A medley of 'Live Forever' and 'Wonderwall' by Oasis

4. 'A Sort of Homecoming' by U2

5. 'Lovers in a Dangerous Time'  Bruce Cockburn, as covered by Barenaked Ladies

Edited by northcntryblues

To name just a few...

Come Sail Away...Stix

Captain Jack... Billy Joel

Riders On the Storm,,, The Doors

Harvest Moon...Neil Young

Working Class Hero...John Lennon

Dust In The Wind...Kansas

If You Could read My Mind...Gordon Lightfoot

Wonderful Tonight...Eric Clapton

At Seventeen...Janis Ean

Posatively Forth Street...Bob Dillon

Father And Son...Cat Stevens

Bang A Gong...T Rex

Taxi...Harry Chapin...  Also Cats In The Cradel

Fire And Rain...James Taylor 

My lists have fluctuated over time, of course, but at the moment, I’m stuck to:

TVZ’s Harm’s Swift Way and Tecumseh Valley

Prine’s Far From Me, I Remember Everything, Mexican Home

Patty Griffin’s Mother of God

And, as usual, an assortment of originals come ‘round for a closer look.