Gibson Brands Forums

Just curious : do you have (or have you had) more Martin acoustic guitars than Gibson electrics ?

62burst

Just curious : do you have (or have you had) more Martin acoustic guitars than Gibson electrics ?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. In a recent thread, there was the mention of Martin guitar bashing that happens here on the acoustic forum. I really don't recall any of that- this seems to be a more laid-back forum. Do acoustic players live in a place where they can appreciate both Gibson and Martin guitars, and might have been electric players at one time, but have now found themselves drawn to both Gibson and Martin acoustics, and may have little interest in the electric guitars made by Gibson. (?)

• I have (or have had) more Martin acoustic guitars than Gibson electric guitars
    • I have (or have had) more Gibson electric guitars than I have (or have had in the past) Martin acoustic guitars

In a recent thread, there was the mention of Martin guitar bashing that happens here on the acoustic forum. I really don't recall any of that- this seems to be a more laid-back forum, and if anything, people might mention issues they're having with their Gibson acoustics.. It seems as though acoustic players can appreciate both Gibson and Martin guitars, and might have been electric players at one time, but have now  found themselves drawn to both Gibson and Martin acoustics, and may have less interest in the electric guitars made by Gibson. (?) 

Edited by 62burst

I never owned any electric guitar. I like Martin’s, & Gibson’s, & Guilds & Seagulls, & a host of other guitars. Very few that I would say I don’t like, & even at that I probably dislike some for some very stupid reasons. Guitars to me are kind of like women. I have to be physically attracted first.  Some guitars just don’t give me any reason to want to play them. When I say attractive, I don’t necessarily mean beautiful . I think the J-200 Ksdaddy just got is awesome,& would love the opportunity to strum a few cords on it.

I have owned two Martins, ( my '74 D-28 which bought in 1979 and have to this day, and a D-18 that I owned for a few nano-seconds as a teenager) and two inexpensive electrics, neither of which were Gibsons.

Other than an ES-335, which I certainly don't need, there is no other Gibson electric that I'd even keep if it was given to me.

RBSinTo

There's far more Gibson bashing here than Martin bashing, and that's by Gibson acoustic guitar afficionados. The only bashing I've seen has been limited to specific issues. I think one model had a bridge problem 18 years ago, or something akin to that.

For some folks, anything said good about a Gibson acoustic is an implied negative remark about Martin. I've seen it happen many times here. How someone could be defensive about people liking a particular guitar is beyond me.

Anyhow, I've had 1 Martin total, still have it, and have had 3 Gibson electrics and have 2 of them still. There will be a day where I will have to lighten the Les Paul and go chambered and/or CS (with their selected lighter bodies). Worse comes to worse, I'll switch to SGs. My LP is 10.01lb. I just got a padded strap for it, so hoping that helps.

42 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

There's far more Gibson bashing here than Martin bashing, and that's by Gibson acoustic guitar afficionados. The only bashing I've seen has been limited to specific issues. I think one model had a bridge problem 18 years ago, or something akin to that.

For some folks, anything said good about a Gibson acoustic is an implied negative remark about Martin. I've seen it happen many times here. How someone could be defensive about people liking a particular guitar is beyond me.

Anyhow, I've had 1 Martin total, still have it, and have had 3 Gibson electrics and have 2 of them still. There will be a day where I will have to lighten the Les Paul and go chambered and/or CS (with their selected lighter bodies). Worse comes to worse, I'll switch to SGs. My LP is 10.01lb. I just got a padded strap for it, so hoping that helps.

That raises an interesting question: if acoustic players do go for a Gibson  electric, which one would it be?  As I'm not much of a jazzer, and I'm over the whole arch top thing, would it be a 'Paul-based guitar, or a fat  SG? 

Edited by 62burst

I have owned two Martins (a 1970 D-18 and 1956 00-18) but only one Gibson electric which was a mid-1960s Firebird.  But I also own a Harmony H40 which has a Gibson P13 pickup underneath the fingerboard extension.  Not sure if that counts or not.  Now if you are talking Fender I have owned four - a 1958 Tele, 1960 Esquire, 1967 Strat, and a 1990s MIM Tele which was a special run with a Custom Shop Twisted Tele and Broadcaster pickup.  

Edited by zombywoof

4 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I have owned two Martins but only one Gibson electric which was a mid-1960s Firebird.  But I also own a Harmony H40 which has a Gibson P13 pickup underneath the fingerboard extension.  Not sure if that counts or not.  Now if you are talking Fender I have owned four - a 1958 Tele, 1960 Esquire, 1967 Strat, and a 1990s MIM Tele which was a special run with a Custom Shop Twisted Tele and Broadcaster pickup.  

ZW, I've owned 4 Fender Guitars, 2 of which I still have.

1964 Jaguar; 1965 Jazz Bass; Mid 80's P-Bass (still have) and Mid 80's Strat (still have).

I’ve recently narrowed down my electrics. The only Gibson I kept is a Country Gentleman. I’ve had a couple LP’s, ES175, ES125,ES150. I have an acoustic L5 and Super400 I could add a pickguard pickup if I get the urge. 
I also trimmed down my Martins. I have a custom 0000 all Koa and an HD40MS. 
So my ratio is 2:1 in favor of Martin. 

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

ZW, I've owned 4 Fender Guitars, 2 of which I still have.

1964 Jaguar; 1965 Jazz Bass; Mid 80's P-Bass (still have) and Mid 80's Strat (still have).

Mine have all gone bye bye.  The only electric I still own is a double neck Supro Comet lap steel.  Has those amazing "strings through" pickups.  

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

.  .  .  Now if you are talking Fender I have owned four - a 1958 Tele, 1960 Esquire, 1967 Strat, and a 1990s MIM Tele which was a special run with a Custom Shop Twisted Tele and Broadcaster pickup.  

Woof- 'bet you wish you held on to that '58 Tele- you could pay off the Zomby farm.

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

.  .  .    So my ratio is 2:1 in favor of Martin. 

😄.

The OP needs to add another category.. Who owns both Gibson & Martin…

I own a 1975 Martin D35, a ‘90’s Martin D12-16GTE, 2001 Gibson J-160E & a recent Epi Inspired by Paul Mc Cartney Texan.. I love them all!

I would like to add a Guild D-55E & an F-512E…

Edited by Larsongs

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Have never owned an electric or a Martin.   I've led a very sheltered life.  Sort of like Sarge. 

Martin made electrics. I think I may have only ever seen one in person. And they are b-utt ugly. Why do we say that, as a guy I like women's b-utts.

https://reverb.com/item/38965285-martin-f-65-sunburst-1965

On 9/25/2021 at 12:17 PM, 62burst said:

In a recent thread, there was the mention of Martin guitar bashing that happens here on the acoustic forum. I really don't recall any of that- this seems to be a more laid-back forum, and if anything, people might mention issues they're having with their Gibson acoustics.. It seems as though acoustic players can appreciate both Gibson and Martin guitars, and might have been electric players at one time, but have now  found themselves drawn to both Gibson and Martin acoustics, and may have less interest in the electric guitars made by Gibson. (?) 

1. In a recent thread, there was the mention of Martin guitar bashing that happens here on the acoustic forum. I really don't recall any of that- this seems to be a more laid-back forum.

You have made over 3800 post and have been here since 2010 and have seen no Martin bashing on this site. Your joking right? I mean you are joking? Happens probably daily.

51 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

1. In a recent thread, there was the mention of Martin guitar bashing that happens here on the acoustic forum. I really don't recall any of that- this seems to be a more laid-back forum.

You have made over 3800 post and have been here since 2010 and have seen no Martin bashing on this site. Your joking right? I mean you are joking? Happens probably daily.

I dunno. I guess what I was trying to suggest in the original post was that this is, by and large, an acoustic guitar forum, for people who like acoustic guitars. And if they like Gibson acoustics, they probably have Martins acoustics as well. I'm on my sixth Martin. If people have issues with their Gibsons, they post about it here. It makes sense. I really don't think of it as bashing. Maybe I need to be more sensitive to it.

40 minutes ago, 62burst said:

I dunno. I guess what I was trying to suggest in the original post was that this is, by and large, an acoustic guitar forum, for people who like acoustic guitars. And if they like Gibson acoustics, they probably have Martins acoustics as well. I'm on my sixth Martin. If people have issues with their Gibsons, they post about it here. It makes sense. I really don't think of it as bashing. Maybe I need to be more sensitive to it.

I've been here since about 2013 or so under a few different names, and I've seen Martin get dumped on due to things like scale length, tone, how its braced, binding popping out and the classic, it needs a neck reset 10 minutes after you get it home.  Gibson's too, especially when someone, usually a newbie get their first one and they have issues. 

Any of the big guitar makers now have guitars that are just down right priced stupidly high. I try to only buy used when I can find what I want. 

I like a good guitar, any good guitar. Of course, good is very subjective & personal. Some folks are loyal to one brand, and some like to play the field. 😎

Martin acoustics: D-45, 000-15M, J12-15

Gibson electrics: MM, SG, LP, ES-359

Gibson acoustics: J-200, SJ, AJ, SW12, J-100 12

I have only owned one Martin.  It was a 12 string that I bought new around 1970 or so.  It sounded great and I enjoyed playing it, but it was built before Martin put truss rods in the necks.  So with all that tension from a 12 string eventually that neck bowed up and I wasn't guitar savvy enough at the time to know you could have the neck reset so I traded it off.  The experience sort of soured me on Martin as I had never owned another guitar that did that.

I have owned probably 10 Gibson electric guitars and 3 Gibson acoustics (currently have 2), 4 different Taylor acoustics (currently none).  Now that I am old I favor short scale acoustics so I will probably stick with Gibson for that reason.  I have a Collings that sounds fantastic, but being long scale I don't play it very often and should probably move it along.